How do I install the mods for Baldur's Gate II EE?

Which operation system do you use ? Windows <any model>, you just download the .exe file anywhere, as long as  you can find it, and then you run it, this will extract the content(it's a self extracting archive made with a preset functions), which you will then need to point your game folder to(it gives a folder to fill in), and after the extraction, it will also run the setup-*modname*.exe, which is used to install the mod into the game.

If you are not using Windows, don't download the .exe and ask for more info, I can't give that, cause I only use Windows.

Also for Windows installs, you might want to install the game to a directory you own, which in Windows 10 terms mean the C drives user profile files, as the operation system screws you over and doesn't consider any of the other folders as yours, on the C drive, and then mirrors files and so forth to "protect" it's own ass, not yours. As you don't own it. Aka into here:

C:\Users\<username>\Games\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\ -for example.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest Okay but I tried just down
On 3/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, Jarno Mikkola said:

Which operation system do you use ? Windows <any model>, you just download the .exe file anywhere, as long as  you can find it, and then you run it, this will extract the content(it's a self extracting archive made with a preset functions), which you will then need to point your game folder to(it gives a folder to fill in), and after the extraction, it will also run the setup-*modname*.exe, which is used to install the mod into the game.

If you are not using Windows, don't download the .exe and ask for more info, I can't give that, cause I only use Windows.

Also for Windows installs, you might want to install the game to a directory you own, which in Windows 10 terms mean the C drives user profile files, as the operation system screws you over and doesn't consider any of the other folders as yours, on the C drive, and then mirrors files and so forth to "protect" it's own ass, not yours. As you don't own it. Aka into here:

C:\Users\<username>\Games\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\ -for example.

Windows 10 64bit Home edition. It didn't ask me to extract to any specific folder... it didnt give me an option i dont think.

46 minutes ago, Guest Okay but I tried just down said:

Windows 10 64bit Home edition. It didn't ask me to extract to any specific folder... it didnt give me an option i dont think.

Well, when you download the .exe file, and then you double click to run it, it should give a couple screens of info, the second one:

insta112.jpg

-gives you the extraction question. If that doesn't happen, either you didn't double click the file in the download folder, or your anti-virus wrongly interrupts because it thinks this is a virus, which it's not. In that case you have a very bad anti-virus, cause it checks if the given program is approved by the maker to not be a virus, with a some part of virus like code in it. Should it not be obvious, that kind of system is very prone to systematic craft, aka bribery.

You can also extract the files with right clicking the .exe with WinRAR or other programs, it won't open that window, but they themselves are the extraction programs, so they will ask you where to extract the files into.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I am trying to install the mod, but when i put it in my Baldurs gate 2 enhanced edition folder i get:

FATAL ERROR : Failure("Not a game directory") 

I have no idea how to sort this :/ 

The game is currently installed in my user/document/baldurs gate folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

9 minutes ago, SjuBBi84 said:

Where would that file usually be? 😕
Cant find it anywhere inside the game file or in my computer at all when i search for it.

I dont have the trilogy, i just have BG2 shadows of amn - throne of baal and the black pits

It's in the main game folder. Just search for "chitin":

bg2eefolder.jpg

If you use a steam or other ways to install the games, of course they can name their folders how ever the freak they want to, which will put them to odd places, but like said, if you use the C drive, you ought to use the profile files as you cannot modify any other files in the drive, which also actually means you shouldn't use installers thatr do not allow install folder modifications, as that ruins what your intent. And you need to possibly buy the game again.

It's the folder with the bgmain.exe.

I'd suggest copying the whole game folder (once you found it) to another place than C:Programs. As Jarno pointed out, Windows tries to protect the software in the Programs folder from manipulation.

The copy you can mod any way you like and start the game by double clicking the bgmain.exe inside it.

5 hours ago, jastey said:

It's the folder with the bgmain.exe.

Nope. See there's no bgmain.exe in the BG2EE game... yes, SjuBBi84 said Black Pits, meaning it's a BG2EE, not an non-EE game.

5 hours ago, jastey said:

As Jarno pointed out, Windows tries to protect the software in the Programs folder from manipulation.

That's in the C drive, and in Vista and 7; while in Windows 10, you have no overwrite access, as you don't own the folders anymore, meaning that if you intend to then further modify them, you HAVE to have it in your own folders... aka in here:

C:\Users\<username>\Games\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\

-like I noted already, above.