Mac install guide for Baldur's Gate EET

20 minutes ago, SamD said:

Well my edits to EET.tp2 allow the installer to finish and install (with warnings) but for some reason i cannot  fathom i simply cannot begin a new EET campaign. The main menu loads up with Standard BG2 EE options (SoA, ToB, etc,.) but I just get this weird loop from main menu to new game so i give up.

EET does not want to work on Mac OS high Sierra. 

It sounds very much like you're trying to install an outdated EET version. Your error about failed executable modification should also not happen with a recent EET version. See my previous comment for a link to the latest EET version.

I went ahead and pushed a branch which backports the omission of the binary patching (and a few translation fixes added before v13) on top of version 12, the last one compatible with 2.5.

https://github.com/GraionDilach/EET/tree/eet-on-2.5

I have tested this on my GoG Windows 2.5 archive and it works there. Note that the biffing step can already be bypassed via the --args-list b parameter. The sole external binary call now is the ffmpeg call to recode the audio dubs. If that fails, I can push another commit to bypass that.

Edited by Graion Dilach

HI Argent77, unfortunately I cannot use the latest versions of EET (13 and up) as they are designed to work with OSX 10.15 and my dusty old machine won't run anything beyond 10.13. But thanks for your input.

Graion, I know little about modding so a lot of what you said is beyond me, I'll try the version in your link later. Whatever the outcome I truly appreciate your efforts.

I am not sure if this makes a difference but I have managed to install EET V 12.2, I had to edit the tp2 file so that it would recognise the  proper exec. file, but when I launch the app I do not get the menu option to select a campaign. All I see is the usual BG2 EE main menu offer SoA, ToB, and the black pits. 

Thanks all, Ill report back once I have made another attempt.

Edited by SamD
typo

The problem is that the individual EET versions support only specific patch versions of the game. For example, EET v12 works only on BG2EE v2.5 and EET v13 works only on BG2EE v2.6. Using an older EET version on BG2EE 2.6 results in a non-functional GUI and a couple of plot-related scripting issues, among other things.

If you can still run EET v12.2 then try to apply the attached patch. It's a hotfix that was released shortly after the BG2EE 2.6 patch came out. Simply unpack it to the same location you have unpacked EET to, before installing the mod. It will update a couple of files in the EET/lib folder.

EET-v1.0rc12.2-fixes-patch26.zip

Meanwhile I gotta thank @subtledoctor for pissing me off yesterday. That gave me the motivation required to completely wrap my head around EET, which I think will allow me to PR the fix for the SoD/ToB dragon breath filename conflict (think I did it by now, but the throwaway install is still setting itself up). Gotta go over the release thread to see what more I should look into.

Credit where credit's due.

On 5/30/2022 at 2:41 AM, SamD said:

HI Argent77, unfortunately I cannot use the latest versions of EET (13 and up) as they are designed to work with OSX 10.15 and my dusty old machine won't run anything beyond 10.13.

Circling back for a second, this doesn't sound right to me. In what way would EET be "designed" for MacOS 10.15? The first thing I can think of is that it ships with a Weidu binary that has been compiled for MacOS 10.15 and up. But, there are certainly Weidu binaries out there that can run on older OSes. The MacOS Weidu Launcher currently bundles Weidu v249, which I think is the latest version of Weidu, and it runs fine for me on 10.14. And I just installed EET v13.4 on my 10.14 system.  (With only a couple minor modifications - I commented out the annoying bit at the end that makes new Weidu executables and .command files for eet_end and eet_gui, and I disabled biffing since I planned to uninstall immediately after installing. But neither of those things are OS-version-dependent.)

Maybe Weidu v249 was compiled to only run on 10.14 and up? Even if that's the case, I think you could just grab the v247 or v246 binary and use them with EET v13.4 - the MacOS Weidu Launcher makes this easy to do. (Just put the older version of Weidu into your game folder, and run the MWL - it will use whatever version of Weidu it finds there.) Does EET v13 rely on any particular features of Weidu that were added in v249?

Meanwhile

On 5/29/2022 at 3:36 PM, Graion Dilach said:

I went ahead and pushed a branch which backports the omission of the binary patching (and a few translation fixes added before v13) on top of version 12, the last one compatible with 2.5.

Huh. Credit where credit's due, indeed. On a lark I grabbed this and installed it on my iOS version of BG2EE and... it seems to be working! This is the first time I've had EET actually working on my iPad. Well, mostly working - I didn't install A7_Texture_Convert before testing so the area graphics are all messed up. But I can actually start a game in Candlekeep or in Korlasz' dungeon, which I could not do before. So, kudos @Graion Dilach!

I'll test a smidge more just to make sure stuff like the world map is working, and then I'll write up a how-to for others. (The process is a bit more complicated than it is on a PC.)

Guest Motoko

Hi there

Attempting an EET Mod install on MacOS Catalina.

Have done fresh installs of BG:EE, SOD and BG:EE from GOG (using the install packages, not GOG Galaxy). Have loaded all 3 and made save games to ensure they are installed and setup correctly.

Have followed the guide re where the MWL and DLC Merger BUT whenever I run DLC-M with option 1 (Merge SOD), it keeps complaining that it can't find the SOD install. It keeps saying:

Aborting installation of [Merge DLC into game -> Merge "Siege of Dragonspear" DLC], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall   0 files for [dlcmerger/dlcmerger.tp2] component 1.

Uninstalled      0 files for [dlcmerger/dlcmerger.tp2] component 1.

ABORT: Siege of Dragonspear DLC required.

Have tried multiple locations for the sod-dlc.zip and extracted folder (in the Resources folder, in a DLC folder, in a DLC folder inside the resources folder) but always the same issue. Have also tried using option 3 on the install but that doesn't work either.

Where do the mods / dlcs / folders need to go?

I've tested the MWL with the BG1NPCMusic mod and that seemed to work without complaints so presumably everything is right but the most basic, first part just isn't working.

Any advice?

Thanks 🙂

J

Checking my clean copy of Mac OS GoG BGEE + SoD ... the sod-dlc.zip file should be in the main BGEE game folder, alongside chitin.key, engine.lua, the executable, and a bunch of folders. Exactly where it was when you installed it. The SoD install needed a copy of BGEE to install on top of, and it's that instance of the game folder that'll have the dlc file.

You don't extract that zip before applying DLC Merger; you let that mod do it for you. After DLC Merger, there should be a file named sod-dlc.disabled and a folder named sod-dlc.

This is all assuming patch 2.6, which installs as visibly a folder. Patch 2.5 has as its top level an "Application" which actually contains all the files and the much smaller real app inside it; you have to use the "Show Package Contents" contextual menu option to get at the stuff inside.

... How many different instances of the game do you have here, and are you sure you're running DLC Merger on the right one?

Guest Modding on an Apple M1.

I just got an M1, love it, but its new architecture may not let the mod installers work. 

I have TDD unpacked in the resource folder. Is there a way to manually install it ?