Could you check these items for me please?

Hello everybody!

I'm currently playing a heavily modded EET game, and I encountered some weird problems with some items, specifically some weapons. 

They should do additional damage, but this additional magic damage seems not to work. Moreover, one of the items should grant various immunities but instead has some weird effects.

I tried checking the weapons with NearInfinity, but with little result, as I'm not an expert user.

Is there any willing modder who checks the attached .itm files and, in case, adjusts the items according to their description?

In case any error is found, I'll personally ensure that every mod's author (the items are from multiple mods) knows about the problem.

Thank you in advance!

P.S.: Varscona +3 also has some effects that prevent every portrait icon, could you remove these effects so the icons are visible?

itm files.zip

Edited by Blash2

Without the strings that contain their names and descriptions, we can't say for certain what they're supposed to do.

I'm guessing Varscona +3 is the OLSW1H06 one. It has a "prevent Stun portrait icon" but I don't see a "immunity to Stun" effect. Other than that, it has a magical ability that looks like a "mind shield" kind of spell that protects against a ton of negative effects along with their corresponding portrait icons. So you're saying that you want these portrait icons to still appear even when your characters are immune to the effects? This item also procs DWTROLCO.EFF against trolls, but without that EFF file we can't tell if there's anything wrong with it. The +2 cold damage on hit looks fine, though it doesn't bypass magic resistance.

CMTSW06 is supposed to proc DWTROLFI.EFF against trolls. The "proccing" looks fine, so you'll need to inspect the EFF file if you think it's not working. Other than that, the +4 fire damage each hit looks fine too.

Similarly, BHFSW1 procs the same EFF. The +3 fire damage looks fine.

BW05SW1 is supposed to do 1d4+4 electricity damage on hit, but this effect has power level 4 and does not bypass magic resistance, so it may not proc against certain enemies.

Edited by ABlake

Wow, thanks @ABlake for the extended explanation! Now I understand what wasn't really clear to me. I thought that the description was inside the .itm file, now I know it doesn't. 

Here is what we're talking about.

OLSW1H06 is Long Sword +3 'Varscona'

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
– Grants the wielder immunity to: stun, domination, charm, panic, horror, paralysis, hold, rigid thinking, confusion, sleep, maze, hopelessness, feeblemind, chaos and imprisonment
– Grants the wielder immunity to all forms of level drain
– Armor Class: +1
– Saving Throws: +2
– Magic Resistance: +15%

THAC0: +3
Damage: 1d8+3, +2 cold damage
Damage type: Slashing
Speed Factor: 2
Proficiency Type: Long Sword
Type: One-handed
Requires:
5 Strength

Weight: 3

CMTSW06 is Long Sword +3 'Purifier'

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +3 bonus
Damage:  1D8 +3, +2 fire damage
Damage type:  slashing
Weight: 2
Speed Factor: 0
Type:  1-handed
Requires: 6 Strength

BHFSW1 is Sword of Flame +2

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +2 bonus
Damage:  1D8 +2, +3 fire damage
Special: Fire Resistance +50%
Damage type:  slashing
Weight: 4
Speed Factor: 5
Type:  1-handed
Requires: 6 Strength
Not Usable By:
 Druid
 Cleric
 Mage

BW05SW1 is Gift of Storm +3

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +3
Damage: 1d8+3, +1d4 electricity damage
Damage type: Slashing
Speed Factor: 5
Type: One-handed
Requires:
 6 Strength

Weight: 4

About OLSW1H06:

I meant I preferred to have the portrait icon that let me know that the character wielding the sword is immune to that particular effect (stun, domination, charm etc.). You know, like when I wear boots that give me resistance to cold and I see the cold icon in the portrait.

This is the weapon that troubles me more: not only it's not clear to me if it does what it promises in the description, it also seems ridiculously overpowered even for ToB.

As for the rest: my initial doubt came because I didn't see the additional damage in the combat log. I thought that in case of resistance I should see the "is immune to this type of damage" or, for example "(3 damage resisted)". So you're telling me that if there is no resistance bypass, I don't see any message at all. So, Gift of Storm +3 seems to be working as expected after all..

Considering the descriptions I pasted, can you now say if everything is all right?

Thanks once again 🙂

P.S. Wait, so CMTSW06 has +2 fire damage in the description but instead deals +4 fire damage?

Edited by Blash2
11 minutes ago, Blash2 said:

I thought that the description was inside the .itm file, now I know it doesn't. 

Well, technically this is not true. See, EVERYTHING in a .itm is just numbers, as in binary, bunch of zeros and ones. The description as well, thing is, when the item is moved from the mod folder during install, it's generally modified to include a new number where the item holds it's description number, and as the mod also edits then another file that holds the definitions in, also in binary. You actually have to cast comprehend language spell to know what the binary means there too, as it's just a larger number. And that only includes English. Try Polish and you'll deal with character indexing, that is just numbers with more numbers, and numbers. Just like this forum.

-yes, that was a nerd joke.

34 minutes ago, Blash2 said:

So you're telling me that if there is no resistance bypass, I don't see any message at all. So, Gift of Storm +3 seems to be working as expected after all..

Yeah. The weapons only provide feedback if the hit does no damage at all. As that's a different thing, all on their own.

5 hours ago, Blash2 said:

I meant I preferred to have the portrait icon that let me know that the character wielding the sword is immune to that particular effect (stun, domination, charm etc.). You know, like when I wear boots that give me resistance to cold and I see the cold icon in the portrait.

There isn't one immunity icon for every one of those particular effects, but there is the "Mind Shield" icon, which is a rather versatile one that can be used when your character has immunity to one or more mind effects including charm, confusion, stun, etc. You can add it quite easily by copypasting the "Display portrait icon - Negative Plane Protection" it already has then change the Negative Plane Protection icon (90) to Mind Shield (52).

This is the weapon that troubles me more: not only it's not clear to me if it does what it promises in the description, it also seems ridiculously overpowered even for ToB.

Well, I see only one equipped immunity, "immunity to level drain". But there's also a "Set spell state" effect, which may be what confers the other immunities? I'm not entirely sure as I'm not familiar with EE-specific features. You can test it by casting Power Word Stun and other things at that character. Other than that, it has a magical ability usable once per day that confers immunity to just about every negative effect to all allies within 30 feet for 42s. Pretty convenient, yes. But if you're playing on an incredibly tough custom difficulty, it may be just fine. Heh.

Wait, so CMTSW06 has +2 fire damage in the description but instead deals +4 fire damage?

Yep.

dFpmtCc.jpg

BW05SW1 actually has slightly different stats compared to that description, other than damage. It requires 5 STR, has weight 3, speed 3, and deals 1d4+4 extra electricity damage. Nothing gamebreaking though.

Edited by ABlake

@Jarno Mikkola Yes, that's right, technically ther's a pointer to another file containing the description, so the description is and is not in the .itm file, depending on the point of view 🙂

@ABlake Thank you very much for you explanation. Thanks to what you wrote, I fixed (and I still do) many items that had "wrong" strenght requirements, weight and speed. 

I also understood how +X damage and + hit dice damage is implemented.

One thing remains a mistery for me: in the "Damage" page of a weapon, what does "Power" stand for? I really can't figure it out, while "Amount", "dice thrown" etc. are quite clear.

Ah, by the way, Varscona +3 (which had been previously altered trying to fix it, I forgot to say) has been conveniently dropped on the ground for good.

P.S.: The whole topic must be discussed listening to this: 

Edited by Blash2

The "Power" stat is basically "spell level" of an effect, regardless of whether that effect comes from a spell or not. It indicates whether that effect would work against a target who has an "Immunity to Spell Level" effect. An on-hit damage effect with Power 5 won't work against a Lich, for example, as Liches are immune to spell level 5 and lower.

Many vanilla and modded abilities have individual effects with rather inconsistent Power levels. Such abilities would only "partially work" against targets who have Immunity to Spell Level effects. For example, some True Seeing abilities may seem to be intended to be level 6, but some effects might have been copypasted from the priest version which is level 5, so some effects would work against Liches, while others don't. I'm not referring to any particular ability; this is just an example of how this "Power level" thing can be a bit of a hassle sometimes. This is why you should leave Power at 0 if an effect should not be treated as a "spell effect" and has to go through no matter what.

Also, having a non-zero Power means the effect may be subjected to the spell reflection/deflection/trap effects. Can't recall from the top of my head if this is guaranteed to happen or if there are some exceptions. Try hitting a party member who has Spell Turning on with a sword with an on-hit effect with non-zero Power and see what happens.

Can never get into plain heavy metal. I prefer more melodic stuff like melodic death/doom/black, viking/folk, gothic, symphonic, etc.

Edited by ABlake