[Solved] Problem to run gemb with opengl

rem5

Hello,

When building gemrb (master branch) to use SDL2 and OpenGL on linux, at runtime it doesn't find 'Shaders' directory

[SDL 2 GL Driver/FATAL]: Can't build shader program: GLSLProgram error: Can't open file: share/gemrb/Shaders/SDLTextureV.glsl

the directory is : /usr/share/gemrb/Shaders and not : share/gemrb/Shaders

here are the path listed at building :

-- These are the configured paths:
--   PREFIX: /usr
--   LIB_DIR: lib64
--   PLUGIN_DIR: lib64/plugins
--   BIN_DIR: bin
--   DATA_DIR: share/gemrb
--   MAN_DIR: share/man/man6
--   SYSCONF_DIR: /etc/gemrb
--   DOC_DIR: share/doc/gemrb-9999
--   ICON_DIR: share/pixmaps
--   SVG_DIR: share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps
--   MENU_DIR: share/applications
-- 
-- Options:
--   LAYOUT: fhs
--   NOCOLOR: disabled
--   STATIC_LINK: disabled
--   INSOURCEBUILD: disabled
--   DISABLE_WERROR: 1
--   WIN32_USE_STDIO: disabled
--   SDL_BACKEND: SDL2
--   OPENGL_BACKEND: OpenGL
-- 
-- Build type: Gentoo
-- Target bitness: 8*8
-- 
-- <<< Gentoo configuration >>>
Build type      Gentoo
Install path    /usr

It seems it's not specific to Shaders as by default it doesn't find other directory like : unhardcoded

I had to "force" the good directory by setting : GemRBUnhardcodedPath=/usr/share/gemrb in conf

here are cmake options used :

-DBIN_DIR=bin
        -DDATA_DIR=share/gemrb
        -DDOC_DIR=share/doc/${PF}
        -DICON_DIR=share/pixmaps
        -DLIB_DIR=$(get_libdir)
        -DMAN_DIR=share/man/man6
        -DMENU_DIR=share/applications
        -DSVG_DIR=share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps
        -DSYSCONF_DIR=/etc/${PN}
        -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=ON
        -DDISABLE_WERROR=1
        -DSDL_BACKEND=SDL2
        -DOPENGL_BACKEND=OpenGL

I must have done some mistake, if someone have an idea ?

Thanks by advance

Edited by rem5

Yes this is an ebuild, but here I think it's more understanding how cmake works with paths than distribution problem nor gemrb.

I just find that by not definying some path (-DDATA_DIR=share/gemrb), it's ok (and limit number of path to modify in gemrb.cfg which is good !).

I think the problem here is that gentoo automatically prefix path with '/usr' so '/usr' had to be removed from defined path, but at runtime there's not automagically prefixing.

So with master all is ok, sdl1, sdl2 (+opengl)

On subviews, are the cmake option the same for opengl ?

When building with same cmake options with opengl :

-DSDL_BACKEND=SDL2

-DOPENGL_BACKEND=OpenGL

I have no Shaders directory created so obviously it complain at start :

[SDL 2 GL Driver/FATAL]: Can't build shader program: GLSLProgram error: Can't open file: /usr/share/gemrb/Shaders/SDLTextureV.glsl

edit : CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE='Debug' or 'Release' doesn't change the result.

build :

cmake --no-warn-unused-cli -C /var/tmp/portage/games-engines/gemrb-6666/work/gemrb-6666_build/gentoo_common_config.cmake -G Unix Makefiles -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DDOC_DIR=share/doc/gemrb-6666 -DLIB_DIR=lib64 -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=ON -DDISABLE_WERROR=1 -DSDL_BACKEND=SDL2 -DOPENGL_BACKEND=OpenGL -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Gentoo -DCMAKE_INSTALL_DO_STRIP=OFF -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/var/tmp/portage/games-engines/gemrb-6666/work/gemrb-6666_build/gentoo_toolchain.cmake  /var/tmp/portage/games-engines/gemrb-6666/work/gemrb-6666

-- Options:
--   LAYOUT: fhs
--   NOCOLOR: disabled
--   STATIC_LINK: disabled
--   INSOURCEBUILD: disabled
--   DISABLE_WERROR: 1
--   WIN32_USE_STDIO: disabled
--   SDL_BACKEND: SDL2
--   OPENGL_BACKEND: 1

Edited by rem5

As I should have made it from the start, I check directly from source  without ebuild to compare master & subviews and the problem is here too : no 'Shaders' directory with subviews branch at 'make install'

in '<somepath>/build/gemrb/cmake_install.cmake', this paragraph is missing in subviews :

if("x${CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT}x" STREQUAL "xUnspecifiedx" OR NOT CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT)
  list(APPEND CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES
   "/usr/local/share/gemrb/Shaders")
  if(CMAKE_WARN_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(WARNING "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION : ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
  if(CMAKE_ERROR_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(FATAL_ERROR "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION forbidden (by caller): ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
file(INSTALL DESTINATION "/usr/local/share/gemrb" TYPE DIRECTORY FILES "/home/myhome/Downloads/gemrb_master/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/Shaders" REGEX "/[^/]*\\.am$" EXCLUDE)
endif()

If I add it, 'Shaders' directory get installed.

I'm not familiar with cmake and I don't find exactly what must be fixed...

Edited by rem5

Yes, these too many path come from official ebuild in gentoo (outdated). As you said I thing it has to be "simplified" at the path level. But this is another story..... It's gentoo dev/user problem.

Here I think there is a problem with generated install script from subviews branch.

In what follow there's no ebuild nor distribution specific. I directly get source, compile and install manually (git, cmake, make)

here are the cmake arguments used : cmake .. -DSDL_BACKEND=SDL2 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DOPENGL_BACKEND=OpenGL

at 'make install' (system wide, so /usr/local/), '/usr/local/share/gemrb/Shaders' is not here with subviews branch

If I do the same (same cmake args) with master branch, the directory is here.

Theses are the lines in master (/build/gemrb/cmake_install.cmake) after build which are not in with subviews branch :

if("x${CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT}x" STREQUAL "xUnspecifiedx" OR NOT CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT)
  list(APPEND CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES
   "/usr/local/share/gemrb/Shaders")
  if(CMAKE_WARN_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(WARNING "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION : ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
  if(CMAKE_ERROR_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(FATAL_ERROR "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION forbidden (by caller): ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
file(INSTALL DESTINATION "/usr/local/share/gemrb" TYPE DIRECTORY FILES "/home/myhome/Downloads/gemrb_master/gemrb/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/Shaders" REGEX "/[^/]*\\.am$" EXCLUDE)
endif()

If I manually add them before 'make install'  in  '/build/gemrb/cmake_install.cmake' (subviews branch), 'Shaders' directory get installed.

I hope it's more clear ?

Can you try this https://pastebin.com/DE71jzpV

It a bit old too but i think it is better than the one in the gentoo tree. I wrote it because gentoo didn't have a SDL2 gemrb ebuild and i wanted to get rid of SDL1. I haven't tried all options but i have tried sdl, sdl2+opengl, sdl2-opengl scenarios and all worked. At that time, opengl gave me some problems (i can't remember what, maybe flickering or rendering issues) so i  personally settled for sdl2 - opengl.

I haven't tried the subviews branch with it but i use it as gemrb-9999 and recompile the git version every now and then and it compiles fine with the git tree.

Edited by khelban12

Try calling with an additional -DUSE_OPENGL=1, I see the problem in the subviews branch now (I guess from bad merge some time ago).

EDIT: ok, shouldn't be needed any more.

Edited by lynx
10 hours ago, khelban12 said:

Can you try this https://pastebin.com/DE71jzpV

It a bit old too but i think it is better than the one in the gentoo tree. I wrote it because gentoo didn't have a SDL2 gemrb ebuild and i wanted to get rid of SDL1. I haven't tried all options but i have tried sdl, sdl2+opengl, sdl2-opengl scenarios and all worked. At that time, opengl gave me some problems (i can't remember what, maybe flickering or rendering issues) so i  personally settled for sdl2 - opengl.

I haven't tried the subviews branch with it but i use it as gemrb-9999 and recompile the git version every now and then and it compiles fine with the git tree.

ohh, nice !!, same job but way better written than mine :D, yes settled too with sdl2 -opengl (here I needed opengl to test a particular point compared to just sdl2)

On 5/10/2020 at 11:51 PM, lynx said:

Try calling with an additional -DUSE_OPENGL=1, I see the problem in the subviews branch now (I guess from bad merge some time ago).

EDIT: ok, shouldn't be needed any more.

I will test that as soon as I have time :)

edit : as expected 🥳 Thanks

Edited by rem5