Zakrion - Overview and FAQ

jmaeq

Overview

At the moment, the Zakrion NPC mod introduces a True Neutral Duelist (kit can be found in Sword and Fist mod) to BG:EE.

The mod includes custom portraits, a friendship track, numerous banters and interjections, custom voicing, and a "semi-romance" option.

Lastly, Zakrion can be found near the ship wreckage on the Sword Coast.

FAQ

Q1: Is there a particular NPC I should bring along?
A1: No one in particular. He banters with everyone.

Q2: How do I start the semi-romance?
A2: You'll need to complete his Friendship Track and he will only romance a Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, or Gnome Female PC.

Q3: Will he have content in Siege of Dragonspear?
A3: No, he won't, and he'll tell you what he will be doing in the interim.

Q4: Will he join the PC in Baldur's Gate II: SoA and ToB?
A4: He most definitely will.

Guest Respite

Hi there! Long time lurker here. I've been watching Zakrion's progress for a while to see if maybe I could hold off on a full trilogy run until his BGII content was complete, but I'm too impatient. :D His portrait is gorgeous and I'm a sucker for a good, flirty, slowburn sort of romance. Something that only starts to become a thing at the end of BGI sounds perfectly paced to me (though I'd be lying if I said Xan wasn't one of my favorite trilogy romances, despite that).

I'm about to give him a try now and I was wondering a couple things:

About how many talks does he have, and is there a banter accelerator option to make his talks trigger a bit more slowly? I really enjoy talkative NPCs, but I also like to play at a more leisurely pace, I think. It's always nice when I don't have to worry about a companion running out of things to say before I even reach Baldur's Gate.

Does his Duelist kit function without having that component of the Sword and Fist mod installed?

Also - and absolutely NO pressure intended - about how far along would you say his SoA/ToB content are? 😋

On 6/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, Guest Respite said:

Hi there! Long time lurker here. I've been watching Zakrion's progress for a while to see if maybe I could hold off on a full trilogy run until his BGII content was complete, but I'm too impatient. :D His portrait is gorgeous and I'm a sucker for a good, flirty, slowburn sort of romance. Something that only starts to become a thing at the end of BGI sounds perfectly paced to me (though I'd be lying if I said Xan wasn't one of my favorite trilogy romances, despite that).

I'm about to give him a try now and I was wondering a couple things:

About how many talks does he have, and is there a banter accelerator option to make his talks trigger a bit more slowly? I really enjoy talkative NPCs, but I also like to play at a more leisurely pace, I think. It's always nice when I don't have to worry about a companion running out of things to say before I even reach Baldur's Gate.

Does his Duelist kit function without having that component of the Sword and Fist mod installed?

Also - and absolutely NO pressure intended - about how far along would you say his SoA/ToB content are? 😋

Hello! Apologies for my incredibly delayed response, and hopefully, you'll still find these answers useful.

There isn't a banter accelerator option, but he has 16 "Friendship" talks before the semi-romance can start.. and depending on what you say or do, there is an additional 5 talks in this semi-romance. So, you're looking at a total of 21 talks in one hour increments, if memory serves me correctly.

You won't need to install the Sword and Fist mod, I think I extracted it and it is its own kit for Zakrion.

Regarding the progress, it really has been a while since I last touched his files... I would say over a year. I believe I still had a ways to go, but a good portion of his talks were written. However, I remember feeling unsure about his talks and I wasn't too happy with the direction I was going. I'm starting to get back into the swing of modding, so I will be revising his content. So the short answer - not too far along... but I have a good feeling about writing/re-writing him this time around. :)

Guest Respite
On 1/20/2022 at 12:59 PM, jmaeq said:

Hello! Apologies for my incredibly delayed response, and hopefully, you'll still find these answers useful.

There isn't a banter accelerator option, but he has 16 "Friendship" talks before the semi-romance can start.. and depending on what you say or do, there is an additional 5 talks in this semi-romance. So, you're looking at a total of 21 talks in one hour increments, if memory serves me correctly.

You won't need to install the Sword and Fist mod, I think I extracted it and it is its own kit for Zakrion.

Regarding the progress, it really has been a while since I last touched his files... I would say over a year. I believe I still had a ways to go, but a good portion of his talks were written. However, I remember feeling unsure about his talks and I wasn't too happy with the direction I was going. I'm starting to get back into the swing of modding, so I will be revising his content. So the short answer - not too far along... but I have a good feeling about writing/re-writing him this time around. :)

That's excellent news! Please take your time! I actually finished another BG1 playthrough with him just recently and found him just as enjoyable to have around the second time. :) Good luck! And if you ever need beta-testers for him in the future, please put out a call. I'd definitely make an account for him!  😁

On 2/3/2022 at 1:13 AM, Guest Respite said:

That's excellent news! Please take your time! I actually finished another BG1 playthrough with him just recently and found him just as enjoyable to have around the second time. :) Good luck! And if you ever need beta-testers for him in the future, please put out a call. I'd definitely make an account for him!  😁

I'm glad to hear that! :) I'll be sure to put a call out for beta-testers as well, when the time comes - thank you!

14 hours ago, ahungry said:

What's involved in porting a non-EET mod to EET?  Adding conditionals for altered area file names?

I don't quite remember, but if I'm remembering correctly: adding conditionals as you mentioned, changing global variables that refer to chapters, adding a block of code in the tp2 to check whether or not the game has EET, and... I feel like I'm forgetting something else (or possibly many other things).

Edited by jmaeq

Other references to sources of the game like items, etc. (most relevant are cre's). Maybe you don't have to change much but you have to check everything (or let beta-testers do the job ;) ). 

If you keep compatibility from the start you can avoid a lot of non-identical references, but for an existing mod this can(!) be complicated. 

k4thos has a setup a webpage with all the resources and how they are named in EET, EE, vanilla and Tutu (I guess). But I don't remember the link. 

Edited by maus
Guest Chicken7023

Hello ! I tried Zakrion out and I liked him. Thank you ! I hope that I will see him one day in BG2 :) So I can know how the relationship will proceed from where it ended

On 4/9/2022 at 9:10 AM, Guest Chicken7023 said:

Hello ! I tried Zakrion out and I liked him. Thank you ! I hope that I will see him one day in BG2 :) So I can know how the relationship will proceed from where it ended

I'm glad you liked him - thank you! :) His BG2 content is coming slowly, but surely!

On 8/23/2020 at 10:15 PM, jmaeq said:

introduces a True Neutral Duelist (kit can be found in Sword and Fist mod) to BG:EE.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:12 AM, jmaeq said:

He's currently not EET compatible.

Um, what gives? Is he compatible with Tutu?

1 hour ago, Daulmakan said:

Um, what gives? Is he compatible with Tutu?

Oh wow. It seems that I got Tutu and EET mixed up. He is certainly EET compatible (works with Beamdog's Enhanced Editions) but not Tutu compatible. Thanks for catching that. 

Wait... I definitely think I have this mixed up. He is certainly compatible with Beamdog's Enhanced Editions, but in terms of the actual EET modification where the games run continuously (found here), he is not compatible. Yet.

I assumed every time someone spoke of "EET compatibility", I immediately thought they were referring to the modification.

Edited by jmaeq