The Demon in Ust Natha (mod for BG2EE)

(Not available right now)

Rewriting the conversation with the demon in Ust Natha, this mod allows all characters, not just evil-aligned ones, to exchange the silver dragon eggs for a boon from the demon. (This is an opportunity to do something evil, not a narrow path determined by alignment. It is up to you how to role-play the decision. If you have my mod "Jacob's Ladder" installed, swapping the eggs for anything with cause all paladins and rangers in the party to fall.) The choices are now more diverse, and all of them work. You can ask and receive gold, power, equipment or knowledge, in addition to safe passage out of the city. The choice to ask for a magic item now gives a different item of my making, useful to all characters. The one given before, the halberd Blackmist +4, is found somewhere else, out of the Underdark, and can be gotten much earlier: it is now part of the hoard of the shadow dragon in Umar Hills. The dragon has been made somewhat stronger to compensate for this extra loot and pulls off one or two surprises (in case you thought him an easy fight). He also received a proper conversation, and advanced parties stand a chance of bargaining with him, so that this fight can be avoided. In addition, the dragon no longer automatically and at any range detects the party as soon as it enters the hall without the shadow ward stone: he has normal sight, albeit quite long-reaching, so a party willing to stick to the wall can beeline past him and to the stairs farther down without getting noticed.

Cloak.jpg.be1980cc3e6c270567e885f6678d4302.jpg

No download right now - fixing bugs

Edited by temnix
Guest Morgoth

Well, I’ve tried the mod. I liked it.

My feedback:
1) I met the shadow dragon and I enjoyed the new dialogues.

is your surprise the spawning of the many shadows? Did I miss something else? You talk about

one or two surprises

I liked all the new options offered.

One of the options is asking her to forsake her alliance with the shade lord, but she will say that he is too strong.

But… there is a possibility the player will avoid the encounter with the dragon and go straight for the shade lord. In this case, I think the dialogue should open another possibility or two by telling her you have already killed him.

Also, do you think the surprise component (that is mostly a way to not make the dragon a full pushover) is compatible with SCS? If not, splitting it wouldn’t be a bad idea.

2) Sadly the demon lord encounter does not work at all.

I tried to

a) Gave the fake eggs to Phaere
b) Gave the true eggs to Phaere

But no matter what,  the dialogue stops: https://imgur.com/a/UU3skjN

Cheers, and thanks for the mod.

5 hours ago, Guest Morgoth said:

Forgot to ask: why did you change the model of the demon Lord? Just mere curiosity.

Because glabrezu are the kind of tanarri most likely to make deals with mortals. They are subtle and not instantly violent, though they don't normally SPEAK IN THUNDERING VOICE, and they are not lords exactly. But they are quite powerful, and it is possible for one to have advanced to a lord or for a lord to look like a glabrezu.

The demon lord situation is very difficult to test. The matron mother, Phaere and the demon lord only appear at the temple when a long list of conditions has been met and globals set. It's next to impossible to recreate for modding just by spawning them. There are several versions of the creatures, too. I didn't rewrite any state references in the demon's dialogue, however, only added some inside, so links should work correctly. Tell me exactly what you are doing: what did you say to Phaere after the line on the screenshot? Do you have any NPC in the party who intervened at this point? I guess not, but anything you can tell me will speed along the solution. I'll look into the shadow dragon dialogue, too. By the way, if you actually fight the dragon, there will be another surprise down along the way, but I'm improving that now. I don't want to put up another version until I've cleared the business with the demon. Hold off playing with this mod until that's fixed.

Edited by temnix
Guest Morgoth

When the demon says “then listen”, the demon despawns, and I can’t talk to Phaere.
I saved Soulafein, put the fake eggs by Phaere on the guarded room, and gave the fake eggs by Soula to Phaere.

I’m also alone (with no party). The issue seems to be that the game thinks I’ve already given the eggs to the demon, but I didn’t.

Anyway, I had a slim mod order and I thought I could actually give you the savegame because your mod was actually the first I had installed. So I uninstalled the game, reinstalled it, reinstalled your mod and tried my savegames. They work.

Here is the archive: https://ufile.io/2wutmav9

As usual, if you don’t trust the archive, this is the analysis: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/3752df24c117cbe5928b458e78bc1e984905a4a11c35b3c7f0aa66aefc37a18e/detection

Hopefully they will be helpful to you, I realize that something may be messed up inside, but I think you can troubleshot the issues easily with them.

Some more informations about the savegames:

Right before the ritual -> helped Soulafein. Delivered the fake eggs to Phaere.

Before delivering the eggs -> you can choose if giving her the fake eggs by Soula or the real one.

Also, if you level up via cheat, you can also use the savegame to check the Shadow Dragon Encounter. Just teleport to AR1402 and talk with the dragon.

If they prove to be unhelpful, you can try by doing it the “hard way”.

Install BG2 and the mod by Argent Skip Chateau irenicus (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60934/mod-skip-chateau-irenicus/p1)

Activate Debug mode. How to: https://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/2017/04/09/how-to-activate-cheat-codes-in-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-on-steam/

Start the game by importing a character, choose story mode, click ESC when Irenicus starts to talk. Talk with the thief and get out of the place.

As soon as you are done, click CTRL+Spacebar and equip godbow. Change the IA setting to standard attack.

Move to AR2100 (The underdark). Get the blood from the Kuo-Toa Prince, then go to the svifberlin that has the gem and steal it or kill him. Then go straight to Adalon. She will morph you into dark elf and you can now do the missions in the underdark until the moment you have the ceremony.

Oh and by the way, thanks for the ultrafast response.

That way is really too hard. Hard enough would be to set all of the globals that the conversation expects. The strange part is that the response at which it fails was created by me and nothing but my own nodes link to it. You should never see that line from Phaere's dialogue. There may be just something with the original version of this mod. Try the file below and see if the error persists. It also has much more for the shadow dragon. That part is complete, including his second surprise when you have fought him for a while and the reverse of the threat option.

Version in progress

Guest Morgoth

Sadly, the mod does not work yet.

The new option in the shadow dragon when you meet him is very much welcome.

I couldn’t test the option where I ask the dragon to forsake his master, because if I go to the shade Lord first, the dragon is nowhere to be found. Is it intended? Considering the surprises you add, I wonder if I will just meet him later in an ambush motivated to kick my ass because I killed his master.

Said this, the demon lord encounter stops at the same point of the other version.

Don’t give up on the mod, I will stay there until we can come out of the issue and I will offer you all the betatesting you need.

There is also another thing, I don’t know if you will like my idea, but I will write about it.

Adalon does not drop scales. BG2:EE added the scales, but they can be forged only by Cespenar.

Would it be possible to add the scales to adalon and a npc that will forge them ? Maybe Adalon has a note with some clues on a particular npc that is hunting his brethren. It wouldn’t be bad to find this npc and him having some items tailored for evil charnames. And why not, he can also use these scales to forge an armor, maybe one even different from the one currently bundled within BG2:EE. A lucrative partnership, that is.

And maybe this npc may ask you to go Dragon hunting. The three areas added after Underdark would be a cool place where these dragons are hiding. Well, sorry if my imagination started to fly.

I'm not going to give up on it. Testing the demon lord part is going to be a bitch, though. About the shadow dragon: in this respect and when it comes to the power of the demon lord (which is also going to be adjusted), everything is done by patching, not replacement. The mod should be compatible with what others have inflicted on them, including Sword Coast Stratagems, if that mod changes them. I rewrote some of the statistics, but the scripts etc. are intact. For the shadow dragon specifically, my script additions go on top of his script. If other mods make changes to this script, then my conditions and actions take precedence. This includes the second surprise the dragon begins to show in the fight, but the additions are written with Continue() after them, so below contents will still be reached. And the shadow dragon does indeed slink away if you destroy the Shade Lord. He is not about to mess with the heroes who took out his master. I tested the shadow dragon thoroughly myself, that part works. But you should not play this until I fix everything and put in some extras. 

Morgoth, from now on let's communicate about testing via PMs. This thread is getting too long.