Balors and Stoneskin in SCS

Guest mike123

So ? As in, what is the problem ? As the demon is a demon, and not a cleric or a caster, they should only get 1 skin at a time and not the usual 1 per level which shouldn't be a problem other than the reguirement to be able to hit more that 1 time per round to actually damage the thing...

6 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

And 1 stone skin potentially taking it's whole round to cast is supposed to help in how exactly ? vs. 1 stone skin per round to make the demon have some sustainability, against melee attacks.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
On 5/15/2021 at 3:29 PM, Jarno Mikkola said:

So ? As in, what is the problem ? As the demon is a demon, and not a cleric or a caster, they should only get 1 skin at a time and not the usual 1 per level which shouldn't be a problem other than the reguirement to be able to hit more that 1 time per round to actually damage the thing...

Wait, is that really how its supposed to work? They always get multiple stoneskins per single casting in my game. Its actually quite annoying

Ouh yeah, one thing I forgot, the spell is not a complete scaled one, so even when the caster is a level 1 caster, they use the lowest spell ability meant to cast it, which would usually be a level 7 character that gives 4 skins. Yeah, that's kinda bad. Just like the fireball is not a minimum 1d6 x caster level, it's 7d6 + caster levels over 7 upto 10. Which is very much unlike what the spells description says:

A Fireball is an explosive burst of flame, which detonates with a low roar and delivers damage proportional to the level of the wizard who cast it—1d6 points of damage for each level of experience of the caster (up to a maximum of 10d6).

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest mike123

Balor in Hell also seems to be able to re-cast Stoneskin once per round. I also believe that Greater Earth Elementals re-cast Stoneskin every round as well. 

Sorry I'm reporting these things piecemeal, it's just based on when I encounter them in my latest install.

Guest mike123

Also noticed that the Balors in Hell can re-cast Stoneskin each round. I also recall that Greater Earth Elementals (I think there is one in Sendai's lair somewhere) can re-cast each round.

Balors in SCS are supposed to be able to use Stoneskin once per 3 rounds, though they only use it once per day at lower difficulties. (The documentation is out of date; I'll update it.) It looks as if that's working correctly so far as I can see. If anyone can confirm it's more often than once per 3 rounds, let me know.

A small number of exceptionally-powerful Earth Elementals can cast Stoneskin at will; that's intentional.

Balors cast at 24th level; incidentally; Jarno's comments in this thread are confused. (If someone's actually seeing them only get one skin, let me know that too!)