Mac/iOS/Windows Discussion [Split from Installing mods on macOS? [Split from EET v13.4 released]]

1 hour ago, Sam. said:

My personal advice would be don't use a mac, largely because it is, by its very nature, incompatible with like 90+% of the rest of the world

What is this, 1997??

The problem is not compatibility, but Apple’s rapid pace of OS changes. 

As far as this, someone with the latest version of Big Sur just needs to see if Weidu works for them, and if not then find someone who can compile a new version. 

And people who like using unsigned freeware (what is this, 1997??) should be wary about updating their OS...

(And if the latest versions of Wn10/Win11 blithely let any unsigned freeware execute arbitrary code... well, no wonder so many organizations have been hacked lately...)

Edited by subtledoctor
15 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

What is this, 1997?? Grow up.

Sounds about right.  No offense was meant, and none has been taken.  I was mostly just being cheeky.

16 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

And people who like using unsigned freeware (what is this, 1997??) should be wary about updating their OS...

(And if the latest versions of Wn10/Win11 blithely let any unsigned freeware execute arbitrary code... well, no wonder so many organizations have been hacked lately...)

Pretty much anyone can have their code signed with negligible effort and overhead.  Signing code in and of itself doesn't guarantee the software is legitimate or malware-free, just that it hasn't been altered since it was signed.  Making the assumption that software is "safe" just because it has been signed wouldn't be wise.  Likewise, assuming all software is malicious if it has not been signed is equally ignorant of reality.  Short of barring users from doing anything & everything and land-locking the system, IT/computer security will always be at the mercy of the user.  My issue with Apple in large is that their products presume to dictate to their users what they are and are not allowed to do with their own property.  This comes at a significant cost of usability, versatility, and functionality.  For example, consider the people wanting to mod their EE game on iOS and the hoops required to do so, when it is possible at all.  I'll be the first to admit Windows has a shit-ton of issues, flaws, and shortcomings, but at least it lets me pretty much do whatever I want:  wise or not, it's up to me.  I'm still running software that was compiled two decades ago.  You and anyone else is absolutely entitled to disagree with my personal opinions, and I respect your right to do so.  However, we're getting pretty far from the original issue at hand, and jastey is likely to split the conversation again...

I agree with your general opinions 100%. There’s nothing wrong with your opinion; only your basis of knowledge. For instance:

3 hours ago, Sam. said:

My issue with Apple in large is that their products presume to dictate to their users what they are and are not allowed to do with their own property.  This comes at a significant cost of usability, versatility, and functionality.  For example, consider the people wanting to mod their EE game on iOS and the hoops required to do so, when it is possible at all.

MacOS and iOS are two very different beasts; it makes little sense when discussing modding MacOS to respond with “Macs are incompatible with everything - just look how locked down iOS is!”

MacOS has its own issues, which is why by habit I am slow to update it. But in this context the issues have generally been resolved by simply re-compiling Weidu for new versions of the OS. As long as there’s someone who can do that, it’s not a big deal. 

3 hours ago, Sam. said:

I was mostly just being cheeky

Fair enough!  :spanking:

14 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I agree with your general opinions 100%. There’s nothing wrong with your opinion; only your basis of knowledge. For instance:

18 hours ago, Sam. said:

My issue with Apple in large is that their products presume to dictate to their users what they are and are not allowed to do with their own property.  This comes at a significant cost of usability, versatility, and functionality.  For example, consider the people wanting to mod their EE game on iOS and the hoops required to do so, when it is possible at all.

MacOS and iOS are two very different beasts; it makes little sense when discussing modding MacOS to respond with “Macs are incompatible with everything - just look how locked down iOS is!”

You are right, I have unfairly combined two separate (albeit IMO abstractly related) issues and talked as if they were the same.  I'll be holding on to my grievances against a number of Apple's attitudes and design decisions with which I disagree, the affects of which I see across most of their product lines to various degrees.  This isn't a personal vendetta, I just don't like several of their fundamental design decisions.  I don't like Google or SpaceX either, and have a similarly long list of why.  With that being said, I am a 90s kid and you wouldn't be the first to tell me I've never grown up.

13 hours ago, jastey said:

Just for the fun of splitting a thread from a splitted thread I did.

Feel free to continue the discussion.

Wait, how many levels deep are we now?  Where does it end?  This is starting to feel like Inception, and I'm losing track of what's real.  If you keep this up, I'm afraid I may end up in limbo.  Come to think of it, I bet that's where Jarno lives.  PLEASE don't send me to limbo!  I don't want to be driven mad!  (Was that enough to warrant you splitting the topic again?  Let's go for a record.  I can always type up some modding tutorial or other to post here if need be.)