cdtweaks on linux with bgee

Guest Paletot

Guest Paletot

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to share my experience about apply cdtweaks package on a native bgee linux install.

After reading several posts on internet, the issue is clearly the minus/major case file naming issue. I never seen the solution I've choosen, so let me explain it to you.

The solution is based on symbolic link.

For Linux native weidu to work, all files names must be in minus case, unfortunely, this is not supported by the game itself.

Fortunely, the symbolic link feature allow to have the both.

You have to create a symbolic link for each file in data directory like : # ln -s ./ORIGINAL.BIF original.bif

The same apply in lang directory for used languages subdirectories: # ln -s fr_FR fr_fr; ln - s en_US en_us

Weidu is now working very well for me, whenever I want and without renaming operation or ntfs filesystem usage.

I think there might also be problems with mixed cased file names. Probably (?) not with bare bg:ee / bg2:ee but with modded games (modders seem to be very inventive with case).

For now I use a loopback ext4 with casefolding enabled (distro support may vary). A bit inconveninent (mostly because I must mount it by hand,), but I've had no problems with it.

And and I use a "deep-symlinked" game installation for when I apply mods, the "master" unmodified installed is kept on the non-casefolding root fs. Not that it makes a great difference, once you mod it enough, all files are in /override...

You also need to make sure the slashes in the chittin file are correct.

Good job on the symbolic links. I personally use a script to change and then restore the case of the original files, but making links seems like a more permanent solution as the game can be left in that state permanently (whereas in my approach it has to be set, weidu run, then restored).

Does anyone know if there's a way in Linux to have symlinks for "folding" two folders together?

What I'd love to do would be to have the original unmodded game in a folder, then have a separate mods folder, and merge the two.

I guess I could do it either using a script or using something like GNU stow.

What's this I hear about an /override folder?

Edited by Sarge945