Give me a jug o' ale and I'll show you an elixir of truth

Too-roo-roo, the trumpets are blowing. The challenge: get a creature to walk from any point A on the map to any point B, across all walls and obstacles, through a script. The command that sends it will be a simple Move command, in essence. I've send creatures across the landscape with a wing buffet, when they were furnished with No Collision Detection...

Flight.thumb.jpg.e0650d7290e1b1754f6b48b55d500714.jpg

...but getting to point B needs to be done by walking now, and the problem is that a creature needs to be able to see point B, or maybe just to see through all of the light obstacles and shade walls on the way. For example, here the characters on the right could not go through the wall, because they can't see the other side.

Tower.jpg

They try to go around instead, if there is a gate, or bump into the wall otherwise. I've tried using Clairvoyance, but that just removes the black fog, I've tried Farsight, but that comes with a magic-icon pointer, unusable on automation, and increasing visual range won't solve the problem. The point to which the creature will be sent is always going to be on passable terrain, it's in the code, so that's not a concern. If you can figure out how to cut through all of these landmarks, I'll tell you the other half of a very cool idea the beginning of which I found in the toolset yesterday. Without, it won't work.

A57B.gif

Walking has nothing to do with vision, it only cares about searchmap colors and doors' blocking regions.

The problem with walls is that they attempt to emulate 3D environment, even though the game engine is one hundred percent 2D. I had a fair share of grievance with walls overlapping on otherwise passable terrain, so the only thing I can say for certain is that it's a cancer. Not impossible to work with, but something that must not be a thing.

Edited by Ardanis

Vision matters. If a gate is nearby and the character is under No Collision Detection but can't see to the other side, he will go around through the gate. It could be that shade walls do this. @Endarire, Thanks for the tip, but those spells probably use No Co and Override personal space, to pass through creature sprites. There are no other effects that can do the job. However, all this is not relevant anymore. I found the other half of the scarab and will put together a little demo soon.

Edited by temnix