Davaeorn Fight Seems Way Off + Question about the difficulty slider

edit: Something is definitely broken with the guard spawning. I played the fight a few more times and realized that the guards start spawning in AFTER Davaeorn dies, then they just walk down the hall and disappear. Kind of funny.

https://streamable.com/k9wyll

Anyone know why this could be or how to fix?

The guards during the fight aren't spawning and he's not teleporting aggressively, only when you try to melee him. The latter may have been an intended change, though it makes him considerably easier because of it. The guards not spawning I don't understand however, because I'm sure that was working on this version before. I even let the fight drag out, and they never show.

Can anyone tell me if they are getting guards spawning on 34.3/2.6.6 ?

My log https://pastebin.com/GUiZCNug

Regarding the difficulty slider, is there a difference between having the slider on core or hardcore but fine tuning everything else to max, and having the slider on insane with everything in fine tuning also maxed?

I'm asking because I'm playing with it on hardcore for the 50% damage boost, but have everything else maxed. Could some aspects of ai/scripts be turned off because the slider isn't on insane, even though all the fine tuned options are?

Edited by boof

What guards are you talking about ? I think you might be misremembering something. Like for example there could be added enemies from another mod, say one of those Coast mods and things like that. He should teleport, but defensively, not aggressively. Well, he would technically teleport like the ankheg did. Why this was is that, he was one...

The intended behavior for the SCS Davaeorn fight (drawn from my old v33/2.5 install):

- The two battle horrors are pre-spawned, rather than coming from traps that can be disarmed. When Dave dies, any remaining battle horrors also die.

- Dave talks to you as soon as you're in range to start the fight, and sets the flunky timer for four rounds. Once that runs down, four guards (two melee, two ranged) spawn in. They continue to spawn every six rounds, up to a total of five waves. No more minions spawn once Dave's dead.

- If Dave's dead, the minions leave the area. If he's alive and they don't see an enemy, they move to Dave.

- SCS changes the teleport scripting so that he only jumps when someone's close to him. The locations are all pre-chosen, though.

- None of this is difficulty-dependent; only the combat AI is really affected by your slider/fine-tuning settings.

It's possible to cheese this in a few ways; if you pull back immediately after talking to the boss, he won't follow and you can deal with the minions without him. Since they spawn at the door, you can ambush them very efficiently. Or you can kill Dave before he ever talks and make the fight a complete anticlimax, with something like a scroll of Cloudkill. The vanilla exploit of silencing him to prevent him from activating doesn't work, though; he activates as soon as you're in range, even if he's silenced or you're invisible.

3 hours ago, jmerry said:

- Dave talks to you as soon as you're in range to start the fight, and sets the flunky timer for four rounds. Once that runs down, four guards (two melee, two ranged) spawn in. They continue to spawn every six rounds, up to a total of five waves. No more minions spawn once Dave's dead.

Right that's how it should be. In the clip in my OP that timer seems to activate upon his death.

Edited by boof