When does TalkCount increase?

Avenger

I've realized that talkcount doesn't increase with every dialog.

For example PlayerDialogue doesn't increase it.

I've also noticed that it doesn't increase immediately. (otherwise the NumTimesTalkedTo(0) triggers wouldn't work)

But, I still don't know when does it increase.

Does it increase every time the target changes (interjections)?

Does it increase only once when the first action block was evaluated?

Any ideas?

What does PlayerDialogue do, anyways?
It does nothing (at least, it's never used, not even in IWD). It might be used in Baldur's Gate, since it had such screwy dialogue actions.

Player1 dialogue is initiatied using StartDialogue() and its ilk.

Does it increase every time the target changes (interjections)?
To guess, it's probably only the initial state (once a valid state is found), and only for the target (the object whose dialogue gets parsed). If that's not the way it works... well, my way is better anyway.

I'd have to believe that it doesn't increase NumTimesTalkedTo. Somebody do a quick test, but I can't imagine it doing other than incrementing the value for the initial dialogue object (either you clicked the object, or dialogue was forced via script).

This doesn't answer whether Interact() updates NumTimesTalkedTo, and what happens if dialogue occurs between non-Player1 party members. If nobody checks, I'll see if I can briefly check some of the common actions here over the weekend (via scripting; I probably won't actually look in the saved game after each one).

I can tell you that SetNumTimesTalkedTo() will set NumTimesTalkedTo to the number specified for the target object. :D

General observation leads me to believe that NumTimesTalkedTo() records situtations where a player character initiates conversation with an NPC, or the NPC initiates conversation with a player character. This rules out interactions, interjections, force-talking, and self-examinations (player1.dlg).

If you look at Sir Sarles' first few states, as just one example, it would appear that the NumTimesTalkedTo() variable is updated as soon as the state's trigger evaluates True() and responses can be processed.

(To support my comments about what's ruled out, I looked at Saerileth in my saved game. In spite of numerous interactions, force-talks, and interjections on her part and my part, her NumTimesTalkedTo() variable is set at 2. First incremented to 1 when she approached me in the temple district asking to join my party, and then incremented to 2 after I rescued her and she approached to rejoin the party. Furthermore, Charname's NumTimesTalkedTo() variable, at the end of ToB, was still set to zero, in spite of various interactions, and a few self-examinations ala player1.dlg)

General observation leads me to believe that NumTimesTalkedTo() records situtations where a player character initiates conversation with an NPC, or the NPC initiates conversation with a player character. This rules out interactions, interjections, force-talking, and self-examinations (player1.dlg).

Thank you, this helped me a lot.

Archived