Mod Suggestion

Belanos

Unfortunately I'm not a modder so I have to rely on others to make them for me, but I think I have a good idea if someone's so inclined. There's already a number of maps available from the first game, complete with actors, so all that's needed for an extensive BG2 mod is some new storylines for them. There's even a BG2 style map available now with Tutu, so the two could be combined. As for the story:

It may or may not be known that in BG1, there was much sabre rattling going on between Amn and Baldur's Gate and it was looking like there might be war between them. So that tension could be brought back into BG2, with the party being sent to Baldur's Gate by the Council of Six to act as emissaries in a bid to bring about peace to the Sword Coast. Along the way they could encounter various adventures. For instance, in Nashkel, they could be informed by the Mayor that a new menace has moved into Durlag's Tower that is threatening the region, and he enlists the aid of the party in order to end it. And once they get to Baldur's Gate, they could get involved with a number of mini-quests, plus maybe a major one involving the underground city where the final battle with Sarevok took place.

Another idea I had was to create a Cloudpeak Pass area using some of the Icewind Dale I & II maps. It would start out using the map from IWD 2 just after the Temple of Auril, where the party has to travel through some scrub land and they end up in a small village. In the map just after that, a character approachs and informs them that the pass has been blocked by an avalanche and the only way through is to travel into an abandoned Dwarven city and it's tunnels. The Dorn's Deep maps from IWD 1 would be perfect for this area.

In Lands of Intrigue we've planned a trip over the Cloudpeaks to return to Nashkel.

Yes, I was reading up on LoI yesterday, sounds interesting. When's it going to be ready?

It would be nice to see even more though, and there's all that artwork all ready to go from BG1. All it needs is a story rewrite.

PS: It seems to me that acting as emissaries to Baldur's Gate would fit in well with the idea of intrique.

LoI will likely be a long time. :)

We had thought about Nashkel as it is an old location that may be nice to revisit and we have a few ideas of something to keep players busy there. It is also in Amn, which ties in with the rest of the game, and is not far from other regions players are exploring.

I doubt we will bother will Baldur's Gate itself, for a few reasons:

- Including that begs the question "why can't I stop off at place X in between like in BG1"?

- The player is so powerful they could probably sack the entire city.

- We'd need to think of an awful lot of stuff to do there. Time is probably better spent on other locations.

- Including that begs the question "why can't I stop off at place X in between like in BG1"?

Well most of the wilderness maps weren't really that great anyway, especially compared to BG2. I was thinking of just using the cities and the better maps like Durlag's Tower, and maybe the Cloakwood Forest. Plus if you open that door, maybe someone else will be inclined to fool around with some of the other areas.

- The player is so powerful they could probably sack the entire city.

Well naturally you'd have to make some changes to the characters you'd encounter there, you couldn't just use the original ones. But at least the maps are all done, and there are many usable actors already in place.

- We'd need to think of an awful lot of stuff to do there. Time is probably better spent on other locations.

It certainly will take some work, but at least you wouldn't have to muck about very much with any artwork. Keep it mind at least, in case you find yourself with some time on your hands.

Believe or not, LoI was almost a TC based around Baldur's Gate (though obviously it wouldn't have been called LoI). The premise was basically "what if the PC and co. hadn't been abducted", and would have allowed the player to explore the lands to the north of the city. I abandoned the idea because it soon came time to concentrate on exams, and it would have been far too much work anyway.

I would still like to see a TC set in Baldur's Gate though. Who knows, maybe in the far future...

Archived