Copy a .DLG State

Hello!

Being rustier than ever and having forgotten what little I used to know, I am wondering if someone could help me with some basic WeiDU coding. Let's say I want to copy state 5 (highlighted in the attached image) so that it will also exist on the same level as states 0 and 6. Do I need to use APPEND even if I just want a perfect duplicate of it or is it there a better way?

NI.jpg.97995074a2de6860e8f069b151093a46.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by Salk
Uploaded less blurry image

"Same level" is misleading, since states can be triggered multiple times in a dialog.

To allow a specific state to be evaluated when a conversation starts you have to add a state trigger, and possibly a weight definition as well.

This .d code example would turn state 5 of AMARCH02.DLG into an initial state.

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER AMARCH02 5 ~True()~
SET_WEIGHT AMARCH02 5 #-1   // ensures that state 5 is evaluated first (be careful not to block plot-related dialog branches)

Edited by argent77

Hello again.

Apologies about using a misleading terminology. What I did mean was that l wanted the line at state 5 to be one of the initial ones in the dialogue just like lines at state 0 and 6 are.

in that case, it would be important to know under which conditions you want state 5 to trigger, then add the trigger with the syntax @argent77 posted, replacing the "True()" in his example to whatever trigger you want.

When would you like this state to trigger, can you specify?

Hi again!

Yes, of course. I will be more specific with what I intend to do. The dialogue I need to edit is BG2's amarch02.dlg.

My intention is to introduce two local variables (#GDONTCOMEBACK and #GIAMCURIOUS) in order to keep track of the dialogue's different moments.

This is the original .d file:

Spoiler

BEGIN ~AMARCH02~ 1 // non-zero flags may indicate non-pausing dialogue

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY #66723 /* ~Can't you see I'm busy?  My archers need to stay in top form!~ [AMARCH08] */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66724 /* ~So this is some type of training exercise?~ */ GOTO 2
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66725 /* ~I was just wondering what you were doing.~ */ GOTO 8
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66726 /* ~I don't like your tone!~ */ GOTO 1
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from: 0.2
  SAY #66727 /* ~My tone wasn't meant to please you.  So just button your lip and try and stay out of the way or my archers might turn you into a pin cushion.~ [AMARCH09] */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66728 /* ~Sorry... I was just wondering what you were doing.~ */ GOTO 3
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66729 /* ~Fine.  I'll just be going then.~ */ GOTO 7
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66730 /* ~Now you're threatening me?  Do you know who I am?~ */ GOTO 2
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from: 0.0 1.2
  SAY #66731 /* ~I can't be wasting my time yapping with some slack jawed yokel.~ [AMARCH10] */
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO 3
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from: 1.0 2.0 9.0
  SAY #66732 /* ~My archers need to practice, and I need to keep summoning monsters so they have a target to aim at.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66733 /* ~That's barbaric - what kind of sadistic monster are you?~ */ GOTO 4
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66734 /* ~Isn't that kind of dangerous?  What if the monsters break free?~ */ GOTO 4
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66735 /* ~Mind if I join in?~ */ GOTO 4
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66736 /* ~Oh, I see.  Well, I guess I'll be going then.~ */ GOTO 7
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from: 3.0 3.1 3.2
  SAY #66737 /* ~This is a private session... no one asked you to stick your nose in.  Now quit bothering me!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66738 /* ~I'm not done with my questions yet!~ */ GOTO 5
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66739 /* ~Fine.  I'll be going.~ */ GOTO 7
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 5 // from: 4.0 6.1
  SAY #66740 /* ~That's it!  I'm sick of your annoying interruptions...  we've got a new target, men!  Fire!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~Enemy()
ActionOverride("AMARCH02",Enemy())
ActionOverride("AMARCH03",Enemy())
ActionOverride("AMARCH04",Enemy())
ActionOverride("AMARCH05",Enemy())
ActionOverride("AMARCH06",Enemy())~ EXIT
END

IF ~NumTimesTalkedToGT(0)~ THEN BEGIN 6 // from:
  SAY #66741 /* ~You again?  I warned you not to bother us any more!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66742 /* ~Sorry.  I'll be going.~ */ GOTO 7
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #66743 /* ~But I just want to ask you a few questions.~ */ GOTO 5
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #73052 /* ~I just wanted to know what you were doing.~ */ GOTO 8
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 7 // from: 1.1 3.3 4.1 6.0 8.1
  SAY #66744 /* ~Good.  Don't come back - my archers aren't above using a <RACE> for target practice!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 8 // from: 0.1 6.2
  SAY #73051 /* ~What does it look like we're doing?  Preparing for war!  Now leave us to it and begone!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #73053 /* ~War?  War against whom?~ */ GOTO 9
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #73054 /* ~Alright, I'll leave you alone, then.~ */ GOTO 7
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 9 // from: 8.0
  SAY #73055 /* ~What do I look like, a recruiting officer?  An information clerk?  We're set to face off against the most dangerous of foes... drow, mind flayers, dragons, you name it!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO 3
END

After some consideration, what I would like to do is:

1. Add a new initial state to the dialogue, introducing the first local variable (I don't think I need to modify the weight)
  2. Replace NumTimesTalkedToGT(0) in state 6 with a different one
  3. Introduce the second local variable so that the Player will be presented with a specific reply only once
  4. Increase the value of the first local variable at specific junctions
  5. Replace a specific reply in the dialogue with a new one (@329) and another specific reply with an existing one

And this is my current (untested) code:

<<<<<<<< .../inlined/#gamarch02.d
ADD_STATE_TRIGGER  ~amarch02~ 5 ~Global("#GDONTCOMEBACK","LOCALS",2)~
REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER ~amarch02~ 6 ~Global("#GDONTCOMEBACK","LOCALS",1)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~amarch02~ BEGIN 8 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("#GIAMCURIOUS","LOCALS",1)~
ADD_TRANS_TRIGGER ~amarch02~ 6  ~Global("#GIAMCURIOUS","LOCALS",0)~ DO 2
ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~amarch02~ BEGIN 0 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("#GDONTCOMEBACK","LOCALS",1)~ 
ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~amarch02~ BEGIN 4 END BEGIN 0 END ~SetGlobal("#GDONTCOMEBACK","LOCALS",2)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~amarch02~ BEGIN 6 END BEGIN 1 END ~SetGlobal("#GDONTCOMEBACK","LOCALS",2)~
ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~amarch02~ BEGIN 5 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("#GDONTCOMEBACK","LOCALS",0)
SetGlobal("#GIAMCURIOUS","LOCALS",0)~

APPEND ~amarch02~
  IF ~~ THEN BEGIN ~#glastwarning~
    SAY @329 /* ~Make sure you won't bother me again! This is your last warning.~ */
    IF ~~ THEN THEN DO ~SetGlobal("#GDONTCOMEBACK","LOCALS",2)~ EXIT
END

ALTER_TRANS ~amarch02~ BEGIN 6 END BEGIN 0 END BEGIN "EPILOGUE" ~GOTO #glastwarning~ END
ALTER_TRANS ~amarch02~ BEGIN 1 END BEGIN 2 END BEGIN "EPILOGUE" ~GOTO 4~ END
>>>>>>>>

COMPILE ~.../inlined/#gamarch02.d~

Please tell me if you see something wrong or if you have any other recommendations.

Thanks!

PS - I think I could save myself some trouble if I could SET_WEIGHT for the new initial state so that it is evaluated last, as opposed to first (SET_WEIGHT AMARCH02 5 #-1). Is there a way to do that?

Edited by Salk
Code change and additional question