[not an issue] Kangaxx and Protection from Undead scrolls

There is the popular tactic for fighting Kangaxx by using "Protection from Undead" scrolls on party members to protect themselves.

However, that strategy is flawed, as his combat script expects at least one party member to be "visible" for the transformation into the demi-lich form to succeed. If that condition isn't met, then Kangaxx will stay in his original lich form indefinitely (or until protection runs out).

I propose to add an additional check for this case, so that his transformation can always succeed. To keep changes to a minimum I'd suggest to change his combat script (HLKANG.BCS) to this:

Spoiler
IF
  HP(Myself,1)
  Global("KangaxxHurt","LOCALS",0)
  See([PC])   // <-- added
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("KangaxxHurt","LOCALS",1)
    StartDialogueNoSet([PC])
END

// Special case: Party is protected from Undead
IF
  HP(Myself,1)
  Global("KangaxxHurt","LOCALS",0)
  !See([PC])
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("KangaxxHurt","LOCALS",1)
    SetGlobal("cd_change","LOCALS",1)
    SetGlobalTimer("KangaxxHurtTimer","LOCALS",3) // <-- give the player time to read Kangaxx overhead line
    // Reusing a line from his dialog:
    DisplayStringHead(Myself,56234)   // You have truly freed me, and the world will be burned to ash for your sin!
END

IF
  Global("cd_change","LOCALS",1)
  !GlobalTimerNotExpired("KangaxxHurtTimer","LOCALS")   // <-- added
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    ReallyForceSpell(Myself,ZOMBIE_SICKNESS)
    ScreenShake([5.5],5)
    ReallyForceSpell(Myself,LICH_REPLACE_SELF)
    SetGlobal("cd_change","LOCALS",2)
END

I'm aware that this issue is known almost as long as the game itself and almost expected by the players to work like this. Would it be worth fixing it in EEFP?

Edit: Seems to be fixed in recent EE patches, so no fix is needed.

Edited by argent77

I can't reproduce this on EE: even if my test PC is protected from undead, Kangaxx still initiates dialog with her at 1hp. And that seems to fit what the IESDP says about StartDialogueNoSet - if the target is invalid it defaults to Player1.

(But possibly I'm missing something?)

Well, that tactics is (was) imo a little bit different. In order for Kangy to "see you" you casting protection from undead on all but one party member on which (main damage dealer using something like Carsomyr) you cast protection from magic scroll. Kangaxx can see him and will transform but he can't do shit to him and will die. It was like that in original game (some people used to kill Kangaxx like 10 minutes after leaving Irenicus Dungeon) but maybe Beamdog has changed it?