Next update, v2.0.4 news

I am preparing the next update, which will mostly consist of fixes for issues pointed out with the current version, and a re-implementation of how items are given via quest rewards for better compatibility with other mods.

I may re-visit item and spell balance as well if I have the time, and I would appreciate suggestions on what is overpowered, and how or in what way it's overpowered.  Thanks!

And for other modders - I still consider myself very much a novice at this, so if you see something in my mod(s) that could be implemented in a cleaner, more compatible way, I am always appreciative of your feedback, as it helps me to learn WeiDu better.  SoD2BG2 was my first "real" mod, and each update has been a learning experience.  I'm sure that shows in my code, but I digress :)

Edited by Daeros_Trollkiller
Guest Jeremias

Some notes regarding the power level of the new spells:

• Dancing Lights, fun spell, and a nice little early summon.
  • Darkness 15' Radius, great idea, but given that AIs aren't really smart enough to walk out of them when they're blinded, it may be wiser to increase the spell level to 3, OR add the ability to resist or roll a save vs spell perhaps.
  • Trollkiller's Fireball, one of my favourite new additions. It's always nice to see spells that compete with the staples of level 4 (stoneskin, vitriolic sphere, teleport field). Power level seems totally justified.
  • Thunder Thrust, seems like the power level I wish level 6 spells were to warrant picking them. I approve personally, as it competes with the staples of level 6 (protection from magical weapons, mislead, contingency, improved haste). Chain Lightning was always far too weak to ever consider over these. Other level 6 spells SHOULD be powerful, else why ever take them?
  • Corrosion, powerful effect. Nice to finally see a spell that reduces physical resistance, and hasn't overdone it for that matter. Three rounds for the reduction seems fair.
  • Infernal Bone Shield, another fire shield I guess? I don't really take that spell either, but I can see some use-cases... bards and combat-casters, or invisibility lol.
  • Fell Rage, this effect seems similar to the IWD priest spell, Animal Rage(?), but different flavour. I like it, probably wouldn't use it as I prefer other level 5 wizard spells unless in a very specific circumstance.
  • Ko'Dezza's Multi Fireball, another fireball spell... I guess there's a reason to use this and delayed blast fireball each. Moreover, there eventually comes a point where this becomes more powerful than using three fireballs in spell sequencer (level 22?), though I find I don't really cast fireball at that point.

As for the others, I didn't try them yet or had no comments personally! However I did think it was very nice to see new additions to the cleric book also, particularly Hoar of Frost.

I hope this is helpful!

Guest Jeremias

Actually on second thought, while I agree with Thunder Thrust being strong and that being a good thing - I would like to note that:

21d8 damage (which is guaranteed given that the caster must be at least level 12 to cast this spell) off the get-go is pretty insane power levels.

To put it it into perspective:

Abi Dalzims Horrid Wilting (Level 8): 1d8 per level of caster (16d8 damage at level 16)

Dragon's Breath (HLA): 20d10 damage

I would advise scaling down its power level, be it the base-power (the 12d8) or the scaling power (1d8 per level).

That said, I forgot where you actually get the scroll for this, so it's perhaps justified based on its location... but I would be expecting to see this in TOB at that power level.

Guest Jeremias
37 minutes ago, Guest Jeremias said:
  • Thunder Thrust, seems like the power level I wish level 6 spells were to warrant picking them. I approve personally, as it competes with the staples of level 6 (protection from magical weapons, mislead, contingency, improved haste). Chain Lightning was always far too weak to ever consider over these. Other level 6 spells SHOULD be powerful, else why ever take them?

However, while I do like the power level of Thunder Thrust, I would also like to note it's probably a bit too high.

Given that the caster must be at least level 12, they presumably have max-scaling already for this spell? This seems insane. I would scale down the base-damage or the scaling damage somewhat.

To put it into perspective:

• Abi Dalzims Horrid Wilting (Level 8): 1d8 per level of caster (16d8 at level 16).
  • Dragon's Breath (HLA): 20d10 damage

I forget where exactly you get the scroll for this (or if it's one of those ones from sealed scrolls only), but I'd expect to only see this spell in TOB at that current power level.

Guest Jeremias2

Sorry for double post (or possible quadruple post), I can't see any of my previous posts appearing on this page.

37 minutes ago, Guest Jeremias said:

However, while I do like the power level of Thunder Thrust, I would also like to note it's probably a bit too high.

Given that the caster must be at least level 12, they presumably have max-scaling already for this spell? This seems insane. I would scale down the base-damage or the scaling damage somewhat.

To put it into perspective:

• Abi Dalzims Horrid Wilting (Level 8): 1d8 per level of caster (16d8 at level 16).
  • Dragon's Breath (HLA): 20d10 damage

I forget where exactly you get the scroll for this (or if it's one of those ones from sealed scrolls only), but I'd expect to only see this spell in TOB at that current power level.

Guest Guest Nurno

Don't forget though that Abi Dalzims Horrid Wilting is Party Friendly as well as Dragon Breath. Thunder Trust isn't right? So you have to buff your Party with Protection from Lightning which is harder to come by then Protection from Lightning. It should stay still a good Lightning Based Attack though cause Chain Lightning for example sucked for Ages and the Game needs at least one good Lightning Damage Spell which is Arcane Based.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:56 PM, Graion Dilach said:

I think I wait for your 2.0.4 then and try to do that cleanup I promised imminently after it just to ensure nothing gets lost/overlooked/etc.

I just posted up v2.0.4

I took your advice regarding how quest rewards are implemented and changed them using your suggestions.  Would appreciate your feedback on how they are done now.