Weapon usable by kit, but not base class?

SparrowJacek

Hello,

I want to enable one Cleric kit to use long swords, but I don't want the base class, nor any other kit to wield them. Is there an easy and clean way to do this? 

My initial idea was to patch all such swords to enable clerics (flags "Unusable by"), but disable all kits apart from the one I need in "Unusable by (1/4)". This however has 2 problems

1. Base Cleric class can use the weapon

2. EE kits can use the weapon

So I thought of patching all Cleric CLAB files to add opcode 181 (Can't Use Itemtype) but I see that these types aren't BG2 specific and instead of "Long swords" I get "Large swords" category.

I can't also seem to be able to use 319 (0x13F) Usability: Item Usability to restrict only the base class either.

Does anyone have a better solution for such problem? Thanks!

I tried doing this with one of my custom kits, and I've found no way to restrict the base class and allow the specific kit access to the item. In your case, you can allow cleric and your kit to use longswords and restrict all other cleric kits from using longswords. You can then further restrict cleric so the base class can't put prof points in longswords.

Thank you for the answer. Yeah, that might be the best option. Actually can I do that? I am trying to give Priest of Helm the ability to put points into Long Swords prof, but It is not visible even if I update Weapprof. It seems that I need to enable pure Cleric to do the same, in order for Long Swords to appear for Priest of Helm.

It’s worse than that. Not only is usability a problem, but kits cannot ordinarily be proficient in a weapon the base class has no access to. So even if you messed around with op181 or op319, you would still have issues with gaining proficiency. 

Generally it’s not a great idea to try to set up a kit with expanded weapon access. Not for nothing, even the original game devs, with access to whatever they needed, didn’t give clerics of Helm access to Helm’s favored weapon, the bastard sword, but instead made that lame innate ability. 

This can be done but it works best when implemented as a systemic change across the entire class, not as a bonus for a single kit. 

3 hours ago, mickabouille said:

Wouldn't it be possible to create a kit named "Cleric (trueclass)", give it the original true class restrictions, give the base class access to all weapons and give whatever restriction you desire to other cleric kits?

Bonus points for closing access to the real true class kit if possible (but that's not even necessary?)

Sure, and you could even, quite easily, replace the original trueclass kit with the new one - just change the 0 to the new kit’s index number in K_C_H.2da et al. Some very old versions of my mods did exactly this in order to give new kits some interesting bonuses. 

An obvious problem is, multiclass and dual-class clerics would still get the hidden original trueclass instead if the new faux-trueclass kit. These kinds if tweaks affect systems that are comprehensively interconnected and trying to pin down every consequence of a change can be like playing whack-a-mole… and every time you whack, it risks incompatibility with other mods that touch those systems. 

Like I say, it’s easier when a mod just does a comprehensive overhaul of the entire system. And on that note, I’ll mention that Faiths & Powers has a component which liberalizes cleric weapon usability, on a kit-by-kit basis, which is independent of any other parts of the mod. There is compatibility code that you can add to your kit which will let you use the normal cleric proficiencies in a normal install, but use an expanded set of profiencies if the player also installs the FnP item use changes. It’s not exactly what you’re trying to do… but it’s a step in that direction, and at least some players can get the full benefit of your vision.