I may have found a use for Soul Eater. (Icewind Dale Spells)

On 2/13/2023 at 3:10 AM, polytope said:

Can't do that without modding away the summoning cap, the engine is quite strict here (in my tests) and you're stuck with 5 skeletons (instead of five potentially better summons). Actually dangerous encounters that are worth using 7th level spells for tend to feature enemies that can one shot either a 3HD skellie or a bunny rabbit (maybe not if they're using slashing/piercing weapons, which skeletons resist), but even so, unless they have AoE damage they will need to expend at least one attack (and some time moving) on each rabbit, which is what made the Limited Wish for a rabbit horde useful, tactically you can think of it as either a double strength Stoneskin cumulative with regular skins or a Maze spell that still allows attacks on the confused bunny-hunting monster.

So in your tests. Only 5 of the bunnies transformed into skeletons?  That does make sense. Still worthwhile, if your Kensai/mage or fighter mage is using a strength belt, and the belt of Constitution. And Cat's Grace...

Yeah, this is pretty close to a full replacement for Draw on Holy might for fighter-mages. Which is awesome! :)

Edited by Userunfriendly
On 2/15/2023 at 1:47 AM, Userunfriendly said:

So in your tests. Only 5 of the bunnies transformed into skeletons?  That does make sense. Still worthwhile, if your Kensai/mage or fighter mage is using a strength belt, and the belt of Constitution. And Cat's Grace...

Actually the caster will get +1 str, dex and con for each creature killed by Soul Eater (so up to +20 if you can somehow get all rabbits in the AoE, no need for other stat enhancing equipment), it's just that the subsequent animation of all but 5 skeletons fails because they're controlled summons and the game won't let you have any more (In Enhanced Edition you'd need to edit SUMMLIMT.2da, in original BG2 - which doesn't support conversion of either Soul Eater or Seven Eyes - I believe it's hardcoded).

14 minutes ago, polytope said:

Actually the caster will get +1 str, dex and con for each creature killed by Soul Eater (so up to +20 if you can somehow get all rabbits in the AoE, no need for other stat enhancing equipment), it's just that the subsequent animation of all but 5 skeletons fails because they're controlled summons and the game won't let you have any more (In Enhanced Edition you'd need to edit SUMMLIMT.2da, in original BG2 - which doesn't support conversion of either Soul Eater or Seven Eyes - I believe it's hardcoded).

Wao. Well, I was only really interested in the stat boosts anyway.  Level 3 skeletons suck. Thanks! Um...can I read 2da files in EEkeeper, or will I need the other program? :p