How do I sync a creature's ranged animation with missile projectiles?

Acifer

I am trying to add the fomorian giant's throwing boulder ability to BG2(EE). However, the animation and the projectile do not match. The projectile starts too "early" (see the attached gif below).

Spoiler

dftcy6q-8fd9f73f-55a0-496b-a8e4-52455d30

I created a projectile using the boulder from IWD2.

As a launcher, I created a short bow with the lowest weapon speed (like the one used in IWD2 as launching vehicle). But that doesn't seem to change the starting point of the launching projectile in BG2.

Does anyone know how to delay the launching of the projectile and sync it with the animation? Otherwise I'd have to change the animation sequence. That would be a lot of work...😐

You would have to alter/create RNDBASE(.BMP) files for the animation, and then specify them in the animations INI file.  These control when the animation starts and the attack roll/projectile occur.  I have more information about RNDBASE files here.

You would need to move the red pixels further right, 1 pixel per frame of the animation until the "firing" position (or 1 pixel per 2 frames, not sure).

You may want to compare RNDBASE1.BMP (default) to RBF18_1.BMP (longer attack animation) as an example.

Just make sure to save the BMP files with the correct color-depth (4-bit).

That sounds great! Thank you both for your help. 🙂

Is there any chance of adapting this for the classic version as well (as the RNDBASE.BMPs exist there, too), or should I stick to the EE and leave the animations for BGT / ToB untouched?

The originals don't have per-animation rndbase overrides, so changes would affect everyone.

What you could try is a different type of launcher like a sling, since I think they have a different rndbase file (but definitely check that you're not increasing APR). Or speeding up that particular animation.

10 hours ago, lynx said:

What you could try is a different type of launcher like a sling

The sling is too fast, too. So I had to change the A4/A4E animations for classic BG2.

Now everything looks, feels and works as it is supposed to.

Thank you all!