eff 177 and 272

14 hours ago, marchitek said:

I tested that for op177 on BG:EE 2.6 and it seems to be blocked when saving throw succeeded.

I think what he meant was that making a save against secondary effects applied through #272 doesn't end the application of that effect, it will be called again at the next specified time unit and necessitate another save.

If you want prolonged status effects that end once a save is successful it's probably better to instead use opcode #146 to cast a chain of shell spells, i.e. the feature block should look like:

1. Save vs whatever or suffer the status effect (and associated cosmetics) for a duration of X time units
  2. Also save vs whatever or this .spl is reapplied with a delay of X time units

Saving against the EFF of op272 triggers a save, but doesn't block the effect.  It will still process the "Save for Half" flag though.

The EFF applied by Op272 works this way for everything: Magic Resistance, Probability, Saving Throws, opcode Immunity, Spell Deflection/Reflection/Trapping.

The EFF will trigger and process them, and then be applied anyway.

Edit: Notable exception: op198 (reflect opcode) is NOT processed by the EFF at all.

The only thing that can block the EFF separately from op272 is the 7EYES.2da mechanics and certain state-based (being dead) and animation-based (VOLO) immunities.

Edited by kjeron
15 hours ago, kjeron said:

The EFF applied by Op272 works this way for everything: Magic Resistance, Probability, Saving Throws, opcode Immunity, Spell Deflection/Reflection/Trapping.

Always avoided using #272 for other reasons, so I genuinely didn't know this.

Just tested and it's equally true on the original BG2 engine. Only the save/resist/power level of the original #272 are checked, the subsequent EFF in the resref always applies even if it has an associated save and the subject makes it.

#177 did not have this issue, it's totally possible for it to check for example save vs spells and death, going through only if both are failed.

effect #272 doesn't like fights.

I did a simple test: on a ring I added an ability: #272, type 3 frequency 6 -> once per round for 2 turns -> Effect : Colour: Glow by RGB (Brief) [50] on self, 1 seconds. (on use, for 4 turns)
If not in combat, the character glows every round without problem. But if he is in combat, he no longer glows. Or he does very rarely (I've only seen him glow once), I think when he hasn't suffered any attacks (for my tests, the attacker has a taco of 0 and 2 attacks -> critical miss?).