Announcing Love Conquers All (LCA) – Corwin Romance Mod for EET

I am now playing LCA alongside Skie Cost of One Girl's Soul, and I have THREE soultaker daggers - one broken one from the Skie mod, and then for some reason the genie gave me another two... Skie Cost quest starts fine though, and I can also send one of the unbroken daggers via Brega as intended.

And unless I'm misremembering how Skie Cost's quest starts, I think there is a problem stopping it from starting.

However, I'm not convinced that the mod is actually compatible with Roxanne's Corwin (though the fault for this lies with Roxanne). I took Corwin in BG1 but she does not disappear during the transition to SoD, and hence stayed in my party, meaning at one point there were two Corwins, and then when the "real" Corwin asked to join the party, I might have ended up with the "wrong" one still in my party. Like I say, all of that is at Roxanne's feet, but the upshot is, when I ask Brega to send the letter to Baldur's Gate, the only option is to write to Bence Duncan, as if Corwin had never been in my party. I've spawned your Corwin in with the debugger, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Actually, this *might* not be the fault of Roxanne's Corwin, but an unintended interaction with jastey's Another Fine Hell. In jastey's mod, I *think* that the ending of SoD is modified so that you ALWAYS end up leaving the city via the sewers, even if you are not in disgrace. Does that trigger your "bad" ending with Corwin, even if you take the route which avoids running into her? i.e. is your trigger the area code, rather than the encounter?

(I installed all the above mods specifically to test for conflicts)

Edited by megrimlock
4 hours ago, megrimlock said:

I am now playing LCA alongside Skie Cost of One Girl's Soul, and I have THREE soultaker daggers - one broken one from the Skie mod, and then for some reason the genie gave me another two... Skie Cost quest starts fine though, and I can also send one of the unbroken daggers via Brega as intended.

And unless I'm misremembering how Skie Cost's quest starts, I think there is a problem stopping it from starting.

However, I'm not convinced that the mod is actually compatible with Roxanne's Corwin (though the fault for this lies with Roxanne). I took Corwin in BG1 but she does not disappear during the transition to SoD, and hence stayed in my party, meaning at one point there were two Corwins, and then when the "real" Corwin asked to join the party, I might have ended up with the "wrong" one still in my party. Like I say, all of that is at Roxanne's feet, but the upshot is, when I ask Brega to send the letter to Baldur's Gate, the only option is to write to Bence Duncan, as if Corwin had never been in my party. I've spawned your Corwin in with the debugger, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Actually, this *might* not be the fault of Roxanne's Corwin, but an unintended interaction with jastey's Another Fine Hell. In jastey's mod, I *think* that the ending of SoD is modified so that you ALWAYS end up leaving the city via the sewers, even if you are not in disgrace. Does that trigger your "bad" ending with Corwin, even if you take the route which avoids running into her? i.e. is your trigger the area code, rather than the encounter?

(I installed all the above mods specifically to test for conflicts)

Thanks for reaching out, and for taking the time to test for potential conflicts.

You can send the letter to Corwin if either of the following holds:

- You had the "good" ending, meaning the player escaped through the tunnels beneath the Flaming Fist Headquarters. 

- During the "bad" ending, you followed a very specific dialogue sequence during the confrontation with Corwin and Bence. If you escape without confronting the two of them, the condition won't hold. 

As far as the dagger is concerned, this is an error on my part. I modified the Djinn transition to include the dagger as a quest reward, but did not first check if the Skie mod was installed. Obviously, if the Skie mod is installed, the Djinn should not provide the dagger. This issue was already corrected in the non-EET version of the mod, which I plan to release later this year. I'll issue a patch to the EET version of the mod later in the week.

It's been a while since I played the CorwinEET mod, but I do not recall encountering the double Corwin issue you described. It could as you say be an unintended interaction with jastey's mod. In what area did you first notice the problem? Perhaps I can add some checks in LCA to detect and correct the issue. 

8 hours ago, LCAMod said:

You can send the letter to Corwin if either of the following holds:

- You had the "good" ending, meaning the player escaped through the tunnels beneath the Flaming Fist Headquarters. 

- During the "bad" ending, you followed a very specific dialogue sequence during the confrontation with Corwin and Bence. If you escape without confronting the two of them, the condition won't hold.

That's probably it. jastey's mod puts you at the start of the sewers no matter what (I think). I took the option to let the Flaming Fist guide me out of the sewers (which might be part of the mod, it's so long since I played the end of SoD unmodded!) So I never ran into Bence and Corwin - from what you describe, I did not therefore fulfil the condition.

Another fine Hell can easily be detected by checking for GlobalGT("C#AfHSoD_RevisedEnd","GLOBAL",0) after the slayer "dream" scene (the variable is set the first time when Bence arrests the PC, and is then increased for every new ending step.)

11 hours ago, LCAMod said:

and then for some reason the genie gave me another two...

Do you have Transitions installed? I know that @Lauriel was planning on inserting this into the mod (well, one dagger, of course).

15 hours ago, megrimlock said:

I took Corwin in BG1 but she does not disappear during the transition to SoD, and hence stayed in my party, meaning at one point there were two Corwins, and then when the "real" Corwin asked to join the party, I might have ended up with the "wrong" one still in my party. Like I say, all of that is at Roxanne's feet, but the upshot is, when I ask Brega to send the letter to Baldur's Gate, the only option is to write to Bence Duncan, as if Corwin had never been in my party. I've spawned your Corwin in with the debugger, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Actually, this *might* not be the fault of Roxanne's Corwin, but an unintended interaction with jastey's Another Fine Hell.

From the readme of Another fine Hell:

This mod uses the standard cutscene "bdcut61.bcs" which handles the leaving of NPCs out of the party after the slayer-dream-sequence. The end of the cutscene is altered, but if you add a script block for your mod NPC as described in my "Modding Tutorial Part 2: Make Your NPC Comment and Move Along at the End of SoD" (link below), this mod will be compatible with your NPC mod.
BUT: if your NPC is supposed to be kidnapped with the PC and turn up in Irenicus Dungeon, you can also let them remain in the party. If this is the case, tagg the script block for the NPC's leaving with "Global("C#AfHSoD_RevisedEnd","GLOBAL",0)" so your NPC will stay with the PC in case this altered SoD ending is playing.

In short: all NPC mods that patch the normal SoD script for leaving the party before the slayer dream scene will leave the party normally when it is time in Another fine Hell as well.

I really made this as compatible as possible not to destroy anything in other mods.

It's more the problem that modders need to add compatibility if they want their NPCs to stay in the group.

If Roxanne's Corwin didn't leave, then it's because her Corwin NPC mod doesn't seem handle these things like they are done for the original SoD NPCs, or because she is meant to stay in group (hence an incompatibility between the two Corwin mods).

@jastey- no I've left Transitions well alone after it broke one of my installs pretty badly!

And to be clear, I was not suggesting that Corwin not leaving was the fault of AFH - that is clearly the fault of Roxanne's mod.

Rather, it appears that given LCA's trigger to get Corwin back in BG2 depends on either avoiding the sewers altogether or else a specific conversation with Corwin when encountered in the sewers, then AFH's sewer scene probably means you need to have that conversation in order to get the LCA trigger to fire correctly. I instead asked the Fist to guide me out, which was outwith the trigger conditions it seems.

In other words, if you end up in the sewers in vanilla, you are on the bad path. This is the logic that LCA works on. But unless I'm tripping, in AFH you end up in the sewers regardless, and that isn't currently aligned with how LCA's logic works in determining if you are "worthy" of getting Corwin to join you in BG2.

Edited by megrimlock
1 hour ago, megrimlock said:

@jastey- no I've left Transitions well alone after it broke one of my installs pretty badly!

And to be clear, I was not suggesting that Corwin not leaving was the fault of AFH - that is clearly the fault of Roxanne's mod.

Rather, it appears that given LCA's trigger to get Corwin back in BG2 depends on either avoiding the sewers altogether or else a specific conversation with Corwin when encountered in the sewers, then AFH's sewer scene probably means you need to have that conversation in order to get the LCA trigger to fire correctly. I instead asked the Fist to guide me out, which was outwith the trigger conditions it seems.

In other words, if you end up in the sewers in vanilla, you are on the bad path. This is the logic that LCA works on. But unless I'm tripping, in AFH you end up in the sewers regardless, and that isn't currently aligned with how LCA's logic works in determining if you are "worthy" of getting Corwin to join you in BG2.

I can add some logic to detect if AFH is installed (thanks jastey), and if so, give the option to send the letter to Corwin whether the player was exiled or not. It would be treated as having met condition two described earlier.

So I've found a bizarre bug. I also had Lichdom installed, and went through the motions to become a lich. Other good party members left immediately, but Corwin stayed for a while. Except after a couple days (perhaps? or was it because I was headed back to BG for the Cowled Menace quest) she suddenly said she couldn't stand me being a lich anymore and warned me never to enter BG. So far, seems like it's what you intended as the interaction between your two mods. Except... I suddenly saw the first frame of the cutscene showing Irenicus in Hell, then ToB started and I was in the Grove of the Ancients. WTF.

So I've found a bizarre bug. I also had Lichdom installed, and went through the motions to become a lich. Other good party members left immediately, but Corwin stayed for a while. Except after a couple days (perhaps? or was it because I was headed back to BG for the Cowled Menace quest) she suddenly said she couldn't stand me being a lich anymore and warned me never to enter BG. So far, seems like it's what you intended as the interaction between your two mods. Except... I suddenly saw the first frame of the cutscene showing Irenicus in Hell, then ToB started and I was in the Grove of the Ancients. WTF.

Hah, wow. That's pretty strange. Nothing jumps out at me as to a possible cause, but I'll take a look and get back to you.

Posted (edited)

@megrimlock

I was able to fix the issue. There was a problem in a transition that called the wrong script. Sorry! The new release (LCA 1.1e) fixes that issue, the problem with the Djinn handing out multiple daggers when Cost of One Girl's Soul is installed, and allows the player to send the letter to Corwin if the sewer encounter was bypassed due to the Another Fine Hell mod.

Edited by LCAMod