Why does this site block viewing through Tor?

Axatax

I can understand blocking posting to avoid abuse, but why a blanket block on people just browsing the site?  What harm do you think can come from this?

Tor is a good tool for getting past restrictive firewalls (workplace filters) and it's not always some nefarious thing if a user is connecting through this network, anymore than a VPN is.  And no, nobody is going to DDoS you through Tor.

403 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: RBM1e5bcSfC4OWXcMP2Jcc6Mu3oRB0r3ZtMtO7i8haJSJ3xVVjqehw==

I'm not surprised Cloudfront has something to do with this.  They protect the worst villains that humanity has to offer but god forbid you should try connecting to a game-related forum through Tor!

Edited by Axatax

You may have just timed it poorly--there was probably about a ~15 minute period this morning where I was getting the same 403 message on my normal connection. It happened during a routine forum software upgrade this morning.

I asked folks on Discord try with Tor, and the two that tried were both able  to access the site.