Making an ability that grants 2x weapon damage

testlum

I had expected this .SPL to be trivial to make in Nearinfinity, but apparently not. My best guess is something to do with the Effect 'Power' field, but I've seen some other .SPLs leave it at 0 too. I can cast the ability, but it doesn't actually increase damage dealt.

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Screenshots of my .SPL in the spoiler.

Spoiler

2023-08-1216_43_06-.thumb.jpg.ec3d93023df4d9c136d8c11f49291fad.jpg

2023-08-1216_43_22-Spellability0.thumb.jpg.33b6f1f5c5c7a5987c26cc00080a4586.jpg2023-08-1216_04_17-Effect1.thumb.jpg.ab325aa63cf8f66aaf4e22e54dfcaa9e.jpg

Edited by testlum

Power 1 is more likely to cause trouble than power 0, actually; it would be blockable by spell defenses like Minor Globe that way. Using a "ranged" ability for something with no projectile is weird, but I don't think it matters...

Also, this is a rare enough effect that I'm not sure how it would display; what did you do to test it?

I created a Flesh Golem and whacked on it. From what I read of IESDP, the bonus percentage would be what I put in value divided by 100.

My screenshot says 1000 (10x) for the value since I wanted to check clearly if it was working, and 200 (2x) wouldn't be so apparent. No damage increase in-game though.

That opcode affects a specific stat, namely STATS[167|MELEE_DAMAGE_BONUS].  It's value is added to melee weapon/fist damage.

Choosing the "Set %" mode will only alter the stat's value by that %. If the stat is currently zero (the default), a 1000x bonus isn't going to change that.

It's "Set %" mode is also very broken:

• it's effect is applied in triplicate.  A 200% bonus grants 800% (2*2*2), a 300% bonus grants 2700% (3*3*3).
  • it does not stack with itself consistently.
  • as an equipped effect, the Equipment comparison mechanic will sometimes apply it to party members without actually equipping it.

I would suggest using op332 with param1=100, for each of the physical damage types.  It will affect all sources of the damage, not just weapons, but it's the only way to boost base damage by a %.

Oh, that is unfortunate. I saw a similar implementation of your suggestion in semiticgoddess' War Hulk mod to increasing slash/crush/pierce damage, but would prefer keep the buff to weapons only.

I think I'll change the effect to maximize weapon damage like Kai instead. Thank you for explaining!

16 hours ago, testlum said:

Oh, that is unfortunate. I saw a similar implementation of your suggestion in semiticgoddess' War Hulk mod to increasing slash/crush/pierce damage, but would prefer keep the buff to weapons only.

Besides Blade Barrier/Globe of Blades, Earthquake and Implosion there aren't many sources of physical damage from spells rather than weapons (Comet may be, depending on mods, and Lance of Disruption if you have IWD spells).

Could forbid dual classing to priest (if it's a self-targeted kit ability) or simply disable spell casting for the duration of the buff (if not).