.tra - question about how lines from the original game work

Zaramorte

While tralating in Ita a huge mod (DSotSC), i found several lines from the original game

example

@25  = ~Quarter Staff~
@27 = ~The simplest and humblest of staff weapons, the quarterstaff is a length of wood ranging six to nine feet in length. High quality quarterstaves are made of stout oak and are shod with metal at both ends. The quarterstaff must be wielded with both hands. etc...

so i toke a look to other big mod (Drizzt Saga) and i found that there, in english, the lines from original game are still present, but them are not in in the other language traductions...

example from Drizzt saga (same line as DSotSC but with different numbering)

@279  = ~The simplest and humblest of staff weapons, the quarterstaff is a length of wood ranging six to nine feet in length. High quality quarterstaves are made of stout oak and are shod with metal at both ends. The quarterstaff must be wielded with both hands.

line not present in other languages

Just to be sure.. if i skip those original lines, will them  picked up from the original game in the language i'm playing, right? (since it would mean a lot of less work to do, i hope so)

cheers

Edited by Zaramorte

More likely the installation will error out.

In the tp2, the mod references these entries (likely in a SAY) and the install will throw an error if the entries have been deleted. What you need to do is edit the tp2 to point to the existing strings, e.g. changing a line from SAY @25 to SAY #123. (123 is a placeholder, you'll need to find the actual string number in the game via something like NI.)

On 8/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, CamDawg said:

What you need to do is edit the tp2 to point to the existing strings, e.g. changing a line from SAY @25 to SAY #123. (123 is a placeholder, you'll need to find the actual string number in the game via something like NI.)

Which won't always work, since the mod is for BGT and EET and (all non-BGII) string numbers will vary between the games. (If they don't, be my guest.)

@Zaramorte You need to fill in all tra lines, unfortunately. There is no auto-fill with the correct game strings, especially not just in a tra file. The numbers (@123 etc) are only valid for this tra file, it has nothing to do with the strings in the game.

🥶 Ok... is there a way to find and unpack the .tra of the original game? (there are thousands of lines in dsotsc such the one above... of course i'm sure the autor had his reason... but, from the ouside, it seem he has just copied and pasted the original setup.tra file, entirely... that's mean 😭. )

You can search for string snippets with Near Infinity. Search -> StringRef... -> "Find what". This way you can find the whole description text from a snippet.

I don't know whether some of the texts might be changed partially due to altered stats etc, though.

The reason is, as I indicated above, that the games do not have fixed string ref numbers that are the same for all games. (There are some, especially for the BGII part, but the numbers for the BG1 part in BGT can differ between installs). I don't know why there is so many item descriptions that resemble the original game in DSotSC, though.