Need some advice on a Planescape Torment WIP mod

Prrsha

Hi!  I’m new to the modding scene and have been using some tools like DTCLEP to work on the classic version of Planescape Torment.

My long term goal is to hopefully add some spice to the rather bland, generic monsters in PST by giving them abilities found in 2nd ed PnP rules (or as close as I can).

I’ve been successful making silver items harm Abishai (and other monsters).  I’ve also been revising AC values to thugs (depending on what form of armor they wear, leather, studded leather, chain etc., and making adjustments to the damage type they are resistant to).

Little things like that… but the next thing I’d like to tackle is the spell like abilities that Baatezu have in PnP D&D.

I was trying to add some wizard spells to .cre files of Black Abishai using DTLCEP and I successfully add the spells using DTLCEP to the .cre but it only uses standard melee attacks but not any spells. (yeah, I know NI is probably a better tool for that but I can’t get it to run on Windows 7 or XP [I use that OS to run PST classic] so that has been the next best tool I’ve been using).

My main question would is it even possible (without a major mod to the game) to make random Black Abishai you encounter in the Hive make use of Wizard spells?

I apologize in advance for my naïveté.  I’ve never really coded anything myself, I’ve just dabbled in values with existing scripts, learning as I go.

Nice idea! For monsters to use spells, you have to teach it to them, it's not enough that they know them. This means that you have enhance their AI script with decision-making for when to cast what spell, instead of attacking, moving, etc. Cranium rats are one example that already does that, though it's more complicated, since they count.

6 hours ago, Prrsha said:

I know NI is probably a better tool for that but I can’t get it to run on Windows 7 or XP

NI works fine even on older operating systems if you download and run NearInfinity.jar directly. You just can't use the convenience installer for that since it is made for 64-bit systems.

If you encounter memory issues then you could apply the advice from this post: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/478798/#Comment_478798

There is also a small helper tool by @Sam. which does basically the same thing. But since SHS Forum is currently down you have to download the files directly from GitHub: https://github.com/Sampsca/Hide-NI-DOS

2 hours ago, lynx said:

Nice idea! For monsters to use spells, you have to teach it to them, it's not enough that they know them. This means that you have enhance their AI script with decision-making for when to cast what spell, instead of attacking, moving, etc. Cranium rats are one example that already does that, though it's more complicated, since they count.

Ah that’s what i’m missing, scripts then.  I assume I can use ones similar to the ones linked to the encounter with Strahn Runeshadow or the Starving Dogs Mage in the Tenement of Thugs.

Should I add my spellcasting script to the .cre file over the field marked “override” or should I add it to the Abishai dialog script that exists already?  (The one that reacts to Annah, or Grace in the party, had has the creature’s spoken dialog?)

This part has me baffled are the NPC actors (and their scripts) in an ARarea is apparent but random walkers that respawn like Black Abishai don’t seem to appear anywhere in the Hive areas Area file.  I have no clue where the code chooses them to appear there as aren’t any values for random respawn walkers that at least DTCLEP program.

I’ve been looking over several cast and attack scripts and hope I can write something generic for them just to test a few spells.

I was hoping in the end to add:

1) “Pacify” in place of the PnP “Command” ability.

2) “Tongues of Flame” in place of PnP “Produce Flame” ability.

3) “Seeking Flames” replacing PnP “Pyrotechnics”

4) Lastly “Horror” in replacing PnP “Scare”

Black Abishai have a form of poison as well in PnP but that may be overkill for PST difficulty levels.

Thank you so much for the advice however, I have a lot to learn with AI scripting!  Any help is leaps and bounds for me!

54 minutes ago, argent77 said:

NI works fine even on older operating systems if you download and run NearInfinity.jar directly. You just can't use the convenience installer for that since it is made for 64-bit systems.

If you encounter memory issues then you could apply the advice from this post: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/478798/#Comment_478798

There is also a small helper tool by @Sam. which does basically the same thing. But since SHS Forum is currently down you have to download the files directly from GitHub: https://github.com/Sampsca/Hide-NI-DOS

Thank you for those links!  I’ll definitely try them tomorrow and see if I can get NI working!

A personal thank you for all the modders who fixed so many quests in PST and to you Argent77 to keep those mods compatible with the EE edition!

Creatures have several script slots that are executed in a defined order. Override takes maximum precedence, so I'd use that only if necessary — eg. other slots do not fit.

In bgs areas can override script assignment, so you can have one generic CRE file and then the area embeds let's say 5 copies. But you can then specify different names and scripts for them. However, I think in pst that isn't available, but you have the simpler option of editing area INI files (eg. ar0208.ini), where the spawn points are defined. Look up the format on IESDP, there's a lot of useful info there.

On 11/16/2023 at 7:00 AM, lynx said:

Creatures have several script slots that are executed in a defined order. Override takes maximum precedence, so I'd use that only if necessary — eg. other slots do not fit.

In bgs areas can override script assignment, so you can have one generic CRE file and then the area embeds let's say 5 copies. But you can then specify different names and scripts for them. However, I think in pst that isn't available, but you have the simpler option of editing area INI files (eg. ar0208.ini), where the spawn points are defined. Look up the format on IESDP, there's a lot of useful info there.

That’s a great tip!  I’ll have to pour through them and experiment and see what I can come up with.  I was wondering where all the spawn information was hiding in the Area files…. It just kept showing the Area files as blank under the spawn tab under DTLCEP.  I’m guessing NI will give me better results and I’m currently figuring out the ins and outs of that program.

Edit:  Slowly but surely i’ve been getting the Black Abishai to react and cast.  The tough part is writing scripts for them to take advantage of their spells in the best possible order using global or area values.  Once I get one area down comfortably I’ll work on each area of the hive next with their local scripts.

One thing I found underwhelming with PST’s combat was the lack of spell casters and need for saving throws (or resistances).

Maybe I’ll add some spell casting hedge wizards thugs at night in the hive.  >:3

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

Edited by Prrsha