Question about feat system for characters who start at level >1

ToF introduces 3e-style 'feats' - lower-powered HLAs that you get at levels 2,5,8 etc. Unfortunately, so far as I can see it is not possible to access the HLA menu during character generation. So if you create, say, a 9th-level character, they will miss out on their levels 2, 5 and 8 abilities.

I could compensate for this by setting characters' starting level to 1, and then granting the XP to level up. But then mages and bards would lack any learned spells. It wouldn't be too difficult to grant them some defaults (there is tech in the NPC customization/management component that would do it) but I don't see a way to let people make bespoke choices.

Any suggestions as to the best way to proceed?

I can't say anything about technicalities when it comes to the IE engine. I can only say one thing as a mod user: the feat system is really cool. At a personal level, if it is about a trade-off, i would rather miss on spells (that you can buy at Ribald's, Hendak's or Galoomp's early on anyway) than miss on the feats. Your feat system is very powerful and extremely fun, and is perfect to differentiate and specialize characters. Which is something that was sorely lacking in BG. This adds replay value. So, if there is no other way to solve this, i vote for maintaining the feats and losing the spells. Put a few of the most important scrolls in Irenicus Dungeon. Or make a pre-selection for those who use Dungeon-be-gone. A bit more gold, too. Allow to rest once for free in the beginning without stating in the log that it is a rest if possible. This is all that is needed really.

Edited by Nox

I remember subtledoctor had a mod that handled this with dialogs, if I remember correctly. Such that when you start the game it prompts you automatically to choose abilities and whatnot. I believe it was a mod that added new weapon proficiencies based on leveling and your stats.

I personally don't mind at all if it's a method that seems too "gamey" or inorganic. Such as a spell, or item...

56 minutes ago, RoyalProtector said:

I do agree it would be better that way. The less a mod's existence can be noticed the better. It's only a matter of deciding if it's possible and worth the trouble to find a way around it...

This is why i suggested to simply put some gold in a chest and some scrolls in a bookcase. It doesn't need to be perfect. I was about to say that going through a dialogue for this would be uselessly tedious and unimmersive to me. You can buy most spells right out of the Irenicus Dungeon anyway. And it is not like said dungeon required perfect spell selection to be completed, either. Whether people want to learn the spells and rest, use the free spells as scrolls, or simply struggle without using them at all is up the player.

Edited by Nox
On 1/2/2024 at 8:06 PM, morpheus562 said:

Could you assign abilities to a character that when used allow you to choose the feat you want via a 2da table? 

Probably, but it would mean replicating the whole HLA system in a new setup, which I'm loath to do. (It would also require me to create icons for all the HLAs, most of which don't need them.) And I'm not sure it helps with immersiveness.

OK, I have a solution I'm basically happy with. Characters get to choose all their spells at character creation even if they're created at 1st level. Limitations:

- multiclass mages get slightly too many spells

- you need to tell ToF at install time if you're planning to start a campaign at >1st level, unless it's Shadows of Amn in BG2.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.