Minsc's Kit

Drew

I have a few beefs with Minsc in vanilla BG2. Technically he shouldn't be allowed to be a ranger due to his stats and his spellcasting should have a 35% chance (per PnP rules) of failure as well. I think it would be neat if the NPC kit mod would apply the berserker kit (just the rages and possibly the ranged weapon penalty) to Minsc and disable his spell casting. That way his being an illegal ranger could be adressed without having to change his class and I can stop whining about him being able to cast spells when he should barely be able to do so. If you don't think you would want to add this to the mod do you think you could point me in the right direction to do it myself??? Thanks.

yep. got that. In fact my current Minsc is a barbarian who also has one use of charm animal added with SK. (Just enough to say that maybe he was a ranger at some point or at least could have been had he not taken so many blows to the head!) I'd just like to see a solution that doesn't mess up his banters. If either the berserker or a toned down (to compensate for gaining stealth and charm animal) version of the barbarian kit were applied to Minsc via a script (still leaving his base class as Ranger) I think his dialogues would make more sense.

and IIRC you don't lose your class just because your stats go down.

There is certainly no shortage of jokes around the Internet about "the paladin who got a scar that dropped his/her Charisma to 16, and Fell." Even if, by the letter of 2ed rules, you lose a class if you no longer fulfill the statistical requirements for it--that's silly and should be ignored.

Minsc still shouldn't really be able to cast spells.........at least not very well. Since the infinity engine doesn't apply casting penalties it seems to make sense to me to make him a ranger berserker and take his spell casting away. Then it doesn't really matter that his wisdom is so low. He does, after all, refer to himself as both a ranger AND a berserker.

Actually, the Player's Handbook says that priests with low wisdom are subject to spell failure. Rangers (and for that matter paladins) are not priests, rather they're warriors who can cast a few divine spells. Considering that rangers don't get bonus spells for high Wisdom either, I'd say that's only fair :thumbsup:.

Valid point, but don't make me whip out my old players handbook.........which states that while rangers don't gain wisdom bonuses for spells they gain and use spells according to the rules given for priests. (ie low wisdom = casting penalty) :thumbsup: Edited due to rangers being required to fetch my players handbook for me in 2e.

I took that to simply mean that they pray for and cast spells in the same way clerics and druids do, rather than memorizing them from a spellbook ala mages, calling on their own innate powers ala BG2's sorcerers, or whatever :thumbsup:.

You could always say that Minsc doesn't get casting penalties because it's Boo who provides the wisdom. Why do you think Minsc won't let anyone else hold him? :)

The Ironic part about that is that there is even dialogue in game to back that up as a valid theory, like the dude asking for directions in the Promenade! :thumbsup:

Archived