[IWD] Install all spell tweaks: resource #bonecir.spl not found

What title says. It doesn't seem like a mod incompatibility to me, but I can provide the install log and debug if needed

Spoiler

Copying 1 file ...
Copied [.../stratagems-inline/blank] to [weidu_external/markers/dw-sonic-immunity.mrk]
[dw_talents/lib/sonic_immunity.tph] parsed
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[./override/stats.ids] loaded, 7248 bytes
Not copying [stats.ids] to [override/stats.ids] because it did not change
[./override/splstate.ids] loaded, 2940 bytes
Not copying [splstate.ids] to [override/splstate.ids] because it did not change
[./override/splstate.ids] loaded, 2940 bytes
Not copying [splstate.ids] to [override/splstate.ids] because it did not change
Appending to files ...
[./override/SPLSTATE.IDS] loaded, 2940 bytes
override/splstate.ids copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/splstate.ids, 2940 bytes
Appended text to [splstate.ids]
[./override/SPPR211.spl] loaded, 13682 bytes
override/SPPR211.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPPR211.spl, 13682 bytes
Copied [SPPR211.spl] to [override/SPPR211.spl]
[./override/SPPR988.spl] loaded, 4354 bytes
override/SPPR988.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPPR988.spl, 4354 bytes
Copied [SPPR988.spl] to [override/SPPR988.spl]
[./override/SPWI612.spl] loaded, 1634 bytes
override/SPWI612.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPWI612.spl, 1634 bytes
Copied [SPWI612.spl] to [override/SPWI612.spl]
[./override/SPPR102.spl] loaded, 6754 bytes
override/SPPR102.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPPR102.spl, 6754 bytes
Copied [SPPR102.spl] to [override/SPPR102.spl]
[./override/SPPR512.spl] loaded, 11138 bytes
override/SPPR512.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPPR512.spl, 11138 bytes
Copied [SPPR512.spl] to [override/SPPR512.spl]
[./override/SPWI431.spl] loaded, 4210 bytes
override/SPWI431.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPWI431.spl, 4210 bytes
Copied [SPWI431.spl] to [override/SPWI431.spl]
[./override/SPWI806.spl] loaded, 8538 bytes
override/SPWI806.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPWI806.spl, 8538 bytes
Copied [SPWI806.spl] to [override/SPWI806.spl]
[./override/SPWI913.spl] loaded, 3986 bytes
override/SPWI913.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPWI913.spl, 3986 bytes
Copied [SPWI913.spl] to [override/SPWI913.spl]
[./override/SPIN115.spl] loaded, 922 bytes
override/SPIN115.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPIN115.spl, 922 bytes
Copied [SPIN115.spl] to [override/SPIN115.spl]
[./override/SPIN116.spl] loaded, 490 bytes
override/SPIN116.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPIN116.spl, 490 bytes
Copied [SPIN116.spl] to [override/SPIN116.spl]
[./override/SPIN138.spl] loaded, 202 bytes
override/SPIN138.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPIN138.spl, 202 bytes
Copied [SPIN138.spl] to [override/SPIN138.spl]
[./override/SPIN117.spl] loaded, 730 bytes
override/SPIN117.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPIN117.spl, 730 bytes
Copied [SPIN117.spl] to [override/SPIN117.spl]
[./override/SPIN118.spl] loaded, 346 bytes
override/SPIN118.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPIN118.spl, 346 bytes
Copied [SPIN118.spl] to [override/SPIN118.spl]
[./override/SPIN119.spl] loaded, 538 bytes
override/SPIN119.spl copied to weidu_external/backup/dw_talents/2000/SPIN119.spl, 538 bytes
Copied [SPIN119.spl] to [override/SPIN119.spl]
Copying and patching 0 files ...
Copying and patching 0 files ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copied [.../stratagems-inline/blank] to [weidu_external/markers/dw_fixed_iwd_bugs.mrk]
[dw_talents/iwdspells/lib/iwdfix.tph] parsed
Copying 1 file ...
Copied [.../stratagems-inline/blank] to [weidu_external/markers/dw_iwd_spell_fixes.mrk]

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [#bonecir.spl] not found in KEY file: [./chitin.key]

This is giving you an install failure? If so can you give exact details? (I checked ToF installed cleanly on all systems when I released beta 1 but I don’t always check everything on subsequent releases.)

Sorry, I was waiting to have a free moment to check if this happened in a fresh install. Which it doesn't, so I'll admit it's possibly another mod.

Here's the debug and weidu.log files. Two things. One, I've changed the install order; before I was going with a rough order of ToF > SCS > CDTweaks > other tweaks. This time I was trying with CDTweaks > other tweaks > ToF > SCS. Although I can't say why any mod would delete files.

Second, I noticed I forgot before to add the Insect Plague and Mordekainen tweaks to the install order. I thought the problem was because of their absence, but trying to install them gives me this same error about #bonecir.spl, so it might be something that affects the whole mod?

18 hours ago, Connelly said:

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [#bonecir.spl] not found in KEY file: [./chitin.key]

#BONECIR.SPL contains an illegal signature in the unmodified game ("SPL\x03V1  " instead of "SPL V1  "). It is possible that some mod tried to "fix" this issue by removing this unused resource from the game.

I think I found the problem in the MnG Samurai kit @subtledoctor. A change-log gives me this:

Mods affecting #BONECIR.SPL:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~SHADOWADEPT\SHADOWADEPT.TP2~ 0 1 // Shadow Magic: Resource CostsDrain Constitution on Cast3.0
00001: /* acted upon in an undefined manner */ ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE\MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ 0 60 // Add the Samurai (fighter kit)5.7

Shadow Magic leaves a #bonecir.spl in the override folder and the Insect Plague tweak installs fine on top. But it does bring the error with the Samurai kit (which I only first tried to install in this last setup), and there's no #bonecir.spl anywhere.

Edited by Connelly

That’s not a problem - Might & Guile very intentionally deletes the file. The file is unused, malformed, and can screw up mods that try to apply patches to spells. Its presence in IWDEE is simple negligence; a putative EE FixPack should also remove it. Therefore, mods should not assume its presence. 

Put it this way: Might & Guile deletes the file, and Faiths & Powers also tries to delete the file. But those mods don’t trip each other up, because they conditionally check whether it exists before performing any operation on it. It is simple and easy to do so.

EDIT - I suppose I might change all of my mods to overwrite that broken file instead of deleting it. But that won’t happen until the next update cycle. 

Edited by subtledoctor

Yes, ToF is trying to fix #bonecir by de-corrupting its signature, and it gets confused because it's not there in the first place.

I think it is probably more sensible to fix the resource instead of deleting it, just because there really isn't much precedent for disabling objects entirely. But equally it would be sensible for my code to check if it's there in the first place.

It only ended up being two of my mods, so I went ahead and made the updates. Now they simply COPY_EXISTING ~sppr101.spl~ ~override/#bonecir.spl~

If you re-download Might & Guile and Faiths & Powers (as applicable to your install) there should no longer be a problem.