Batch file to automate installation of WeiDU mods with selected components?

15 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

I would advice you to actually make the backup from the game that has already the setup-DlcMerger.exe installed on it. Because you need to install that if you want to install any other mods to the BG1EE+DLC'ed game...

I had considered zipping BG1EE fresh install + DLC Merger as a backup.  However, DLC Merger is still getting regular updates.  The last update was in Oct 2023, which was only four months ago, and there was another one before that in September.  If another update comes out in a few months, I will just roll back to the fresh install (without the DLC Merger) and reinstall the latest DLC Merger version from there.

Edited by ktchong
6 minutes ago, ktchong said:

I'd thought about zipping the BG1EE fresh install + DLC Merger, but the DLC Merger is still getting regular updates.  Its last update was in Oct 2023, which was only four months ago.

Those are added translations in the mods own installation, and stuff... the point being that you can use the version 1 from 6 years ago and the only thing that would be missing is the weidu.log's note that the mod was installed. If you go and look at the commit data: https://github.com/Argent77/A7-DlcMerger/commits/devel/DlcMerger

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

There's also a reason why AlienQuake, or the todays AL|EN hates about the readln command

It has its uses, to be sure… but many mods use it when they ought timi use something else. Mostly SUBCOMPONENT. “Which travel times do you want, 1 or 2?” is a terrible use of READLN.

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Yes it can, you can set up a .txt file for example to insert the replies... something something --arg ... what ever, going off a memory here from a long time ago

Can I pick your brain a bit more on this?

As far as I understand, you can automate your responses to prompts in a text file like this...

weidu-setup-mod.exe < mod_install.txt

In the text file you list out the responses in order, correct? For example:

1 // Response to choose English language

i // Response to install the main component

2 // Response to select the second option for the additional feature

So in the example I gave:

Which travel times do you want?

1. Original Travel Times and Area Visibility
2. Revised Travel Times and Area Visibility.

PLEASE ENTER  1 OR 2

I'd order the responses so that it would input 1 or 2 at this juncture?

1 hour ago, WanderingScholar said:

Can I pick your brain a bit more on this?

Erhm, this is a little complicated cause I needed to go search a few things. But here's how you would do this, you create a .txt file in the game folder that only contains the one number you wish to use in the input, and call it "my_input.txt" file, so for example if you wanted to enter the number 1 for that

Original Travel Times and Area Visibility

, the whole of the file would only have this line/number:

And then you just set up the .bat command like this:

type my_input.txt | setup-modname.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 0 1 2

And it doesn't matter which component asks for that input, it's "typed" when the first question that asks custom input is made via the readln commands.
Then if there is more than one line in that file, the next line is "typed" when the next readln is asked... so you can give multiple inputs by adding more lines.
But, as an example, you cannot give the component list this way, as that needs the --force-install-list command instead.
Also understand that the | is a special character ... and it's hard to input/type, so copy-paste might be in order most of the times, unless your keypad has a easy key for it.

So in conclusion, your worldmap mods install command would be:

type my_input.txt | setup-bp-bgt-worldmap.exe --language 0 --force-install-list 0 1

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

Mostly SUBCOMPONENT. “Which travel times do you want, 1 or 2?” is a terrible use of READLN.

Yes, agreed, but I would suppose that the component was coded by someone else than the primary component, and then it's very hard to pick codes like this in weidu appart, and restring them. So there, you need to do everything alone, without any help from anybody. 😁