Non-humanoid NPC turning into human avatar if 7th party member [split from Grey the Dog Bug Report Thread]

Thanks for reporting. If anyone has an idea what could cause this.

I had the problem of Grey turning into a "human" upon SoD transition if playing with a save game where Grey was in party (or 7th PMM) but the Grey mod wasn't installed; so I know this can happen.

I guess in your case is an incompatibility issue, from the description it seems the spell the Grey mod is using to assure the unkillability of the 7th PMM was changed.

@Lily_EvilDM could you make a changelog onto "c#min5hp.spl" to see which mods changed it?

Hello , i have seen that @Lily_EvilDM has the same problem than me , when i say to grey "stay closed" he gives a "yawn" two times and transform into a human .

i don't know what mods gives this problem but i can share the weidu log and do a changelog to see the problem .

Do you know what caused the problem for me ? or how to turn grey back into a dog again ? 

Thanks in advance . 

Here's the changelog.

https://mega.nz/folder/k8x0RZCI#zZb1pQA2gdP0uVukj1Nz-A

WeiDU.log

@pierpoljack I checked on a clean BGT (and SoD) install and it doesn't happen there. This seems to be a compatibility issue. Since the action in question uses custom scripts, I fear it's an incompatibility two levels down.

Still, you would help a lot with debugging by making a changelog of "c#min5hp.spl" and "c#7rest.spl" to see whether another mod alters them directly.

I made this an own topic.

I'd be interested in weidu.logs if you do not encounter this problem but have Grey as a 7th party member.

If you encounter the problem, I'd be happy about changelogs on "c#min5hp.spl" and "c#7rest.spl" (and if that has no results, I'll ask for more).

Hello @jastey thank you for responding me to my problem .

Here's a Mega files with the Changelog lines you have asked me .

https://mega.nz/folder/NgAwjZCS#3WqS_z5diT1eOL6n20Lr8Q

If you understand what is the problem with grey becoming a human when we choose the "7th party member component" of your mod ,  i wish you good luck finding it and explaining to us what is the problem . 

Thanks in advance .

@pierpoljack Very cool, thank you!

This is the result.

C#7REST.SPL:

Spoiler

Mods affecting C#7REST.SPL:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~C#SOLAUFEIN/C#SOLAUFEIN.TP2~ 1 0 // Solaufein's Rescue: Jastey's Solaufein NPC for BGII4.2
00001:  ~C#GREYTHEDOG/SETUP-C#GREYTHEDOG.TP2~ 0 0 // Grey The Dog NPC9
00002:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 5 2030 // Changes to Restoration35.9
00003:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 5 4130 // Revised handling of death effects like disintegration, petrification and imprisonment (party members who are disintegrated etc can be resurrected; imprisoned or petrified characters rejoin the party automatically; the game doesn't end if the main character is petrified or imprisoned)35.9

C#MIN5HP.SPL:

Spoiler

Mods affecting C#MIN5HP.SPL:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~C#SOLAUFEIN/C#SOLAUFEIN.TP2~ 1 0 // Solaufein's Rescue: Jastey's Solaufein NPC for BGII4.2
00001:  ~C#GREYTHEDOG/SETUP-C#GREYTHEDOG.TP2~ 0 0 // Grey The Dog NPC9
00002:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 5 4130 // Revised handling of death effects like disintegration, petrification and imprisonment (party members who are disintegrated etc can be resurrected; imprisoned or petrified characters rejoin the party automatically; the game doesn't end if the main character is petrified or imprisoned)35.9

@DavidW could you have a look at what might trigger Grey to transform into a human avatar after the spells were changed by SCS?

Sorry not to have noticed this before.

The change to c#5minhp.spl is harmless (it's riffing of the 101 immunity to petrification and adding additional immunity to petrification via spellstates - that's unnecessary, since c#5minhp.spl is never going to be used on Player1, but SCS can't know that, and it won't do Grey any harm having the effect).

The culprit is c#7rest.spl, which contains the Raise Dead opcode (32) and which (I assume) is cast on Grey on party-join. The Raise Dead opcode has a little-used setting to restore the animation of the creature it's used on, and this component of SCS uses that setting to restore the animation of disintegrated or otherwise obliterated characters. It's getting the answer wrong for Grey, because the engine doesn't know about races other than the standard ones and so defaults to human... but in any case SCS doesn't need to patch this spell, because it only needs to use that opcode setting for Resurrection and it's being applied more broadly just because of code carelessness on my part.

Fixed locally, will be in SCS v35.11. In the meantime, it can be hotfixed by just dropping the original version of c#7rest.spl (attached here, or else from c#greythedog/7thpmm/spells) into the override after installing SCS.

c#7rest.spl