Adding weapon overlays to models that don't normally have such

This topic has come up before as I remember with aTweaks fiends. Before I waste any more time on this, can someone tell me if they know of a mod/modder/tool that they used which does something like this?

Cornugons with clubs, it will take me time to get the frames properly aligned and edited:

clubbies.png.a83303f1e26bff6df1283a252d07d259.png

Mace for Devas would be comparably easy as we've already got a sword overlay to work with. That said, it looks like too much work for me, I'd prefer to just pretend they're using a sort of bar-mace:

clubbie2.png.ef085b2dcfd791170355b22ddcfd6289.png

OTOH Balors with Ascension/SCS/aTweaks have vorpal weapons, but no sword overlay at all, and it's a lot more jarring for them to just apparently yank somebody's head off. Meh, it's been like that for so long I doubt anyone will change it, especially when you have to work around wings for the weapon animations; big creatures with wings etc. always looked bad with most graphical overlays...

I always thought of Balors' attacks as having a chance to decapitate due to their claws, however I might just not know how it's supposed to be.

The Cornugons with clubs look very cool btw, I wish you luck on your overlay editing endeavour, I'm not sure if there's really anything you can do but brute force it through sheer time spent tinkering with it. I always wonder what Erephine did to realign some of the old BG1 shield animations or how the new ones were created but I honestly have no idea.

Edited by CrevsDaak