are mod installations for oBGT and BGT EE through Project Infinity different?

Posted (edited)

hi. can anyone check if i have understood mod installation through Project Infinity on oBGT and bgt ee correctly?

basically you either select "clean, unmodded bg 2  for bgt directory and bg1 for bgt directory" or the ee equivalent.

for oBGT since bg 1 mods just dont work in bg2,  is it correct to say that all the mods whose install order is above bgt mod like tobex are installed on bg2 folder without affecting bg 1 at all

for bgt ee, you can put mods meant for bg ee  sod dabove the bgt ee mod and PI would detect and install those mods in BG1 ee directory first,, then drag all needed data to bg 2 ee directory would that be about right?

Edited by jacklhoward
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jacklhoward said:

basically you either select "clean, unmodded bg 2  for bgt directory and bg1 for bgt directory"

This is COMPLETELY backwards... The oBG1+TotSC needs to be the clean unmodified game... while the BG2 can be as moded as you like for the BGT-weidu to work in with.
Aka, you install the (G3)BG2Fixpack into the BG2 folder before BGT-weidu. Then what comes to the BG1 type mods, you need to check if they are compatible wioth the BGT-weidu and if they are, you can install them onto the BG2 game onmes you have installed the BGT-weidu o n it. Mods like Unfinished Business for BG1, Northen Tales of the Swordcoast etrc...

On the other hand, the EET was made to be able to import a modified BG1EE + SoD game with mods in it to the BG2EE game. Now thing is, that was relatively recently stepped so that any of those mods would work in the BG2EE game that had a EET installed on it. Depending on the mod and so forth of course. The EET compatibility thread is there;

... but understand that it's only between EET and each of the mods SEPARATELY from every other mod, in the same list.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
10 hours ago, jacklhoward said:

for bgt ee, you can put mods meant for bg ee  sod dabove the bgt ee mod

Only the ones that do not have direct EET compatibility, according to this list: https://k4thos.github.io/EET-Compatibility-List/EET-Compatibility-List.html

(Same link that Jarno already posted.)

Mods with direct EET compatibility you install to BGII folder after the EET transformation, even if they effect the BG1 content.

10 hours ago, jacklhoward said:

for bgt ee

The term is EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy).

3 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Now thing is, that was relatively recently stepped so that any of those mods would work in the BG2EE game that had a EET installed on it. Depending on the mod and so forth of course.

I have no idea what you mean by that, Jarno.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, jastey said:
4 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

I have no idea what you mean by that, Jarno.

I mean, K4thos coded the EET to be able to convert dynamic data from one game to the other, so if you had installed the BG1EE compatible mod you could play it at the EET... but there was a possiibility to also make a conversion that works in BG1EE, and in EET be it installed before or after the EET's own install, among the BGT, Tutu and other compatible things.
... goes through his notes ... diggs the fire pit for a while and 😈 ... comes up with an irrelevant answer; Drizzt's Saga, the one that's converted to be installed onto the EET rather than the BG1EE, this:
https://github.com/MattyGroove/DrizztSaga
Yes, I understand that Roxanne in your mind did nothing good, but grow up.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

thank you for your reply

so basically in PI i point to the directories like this for oBG1 and oBG2 if i want oBGT, and strictly speaking whatever mods i put into install order for oBGT setup, these mods would be installed in oBG2 directory due to how oBGT modding works---including oBG1 type mods compatible with oBGT?

PI Screenshot 2024-05-02 163657.png

29 minutes ago, jacklhoward said:

thank you for your reply

so basically in PI i point to the directories like this for oBG1 and oBG2 if i want oBGT, and strictly speaking whatever mods i put into install order for oBGT setup, these mods would be installed in oBG2 directory due to how oBGT modding works---including oBG1 type mods compatible with oBGT?

PI Screenshot 2024-05-02 163657.png

Yes.

6 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Yes.

hi. one more question.
for Project Infinity, how do you uninstall only one component of a mod or swap one of the components to another (when it is known the uninstallation and swapping of these options would not cause issues at all with existing saves during a playthrough)?
basically i want to uninstall this option after finishing bg 1 stories so i can hear bg2 music properly :
"4.mod option: Activate Baldur’s Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast music
Full Baldur’s Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast music: Activates all original Baldur’s Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast music. If you play Shadows of Amn and/or Throne of Bhaal with this component installed, the music heard will be incorrect. For best results, when you decide that you want to play Shadows of Amn and/or Throne of Bhaal, uninstall this component to restore the default music for Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal."
 ( from https://spellholdstudios.github.io/readmes/bgt/[english]bgtreadme.htm)

do you simply unclick a component or swap components in the install list, set the install order and do the install again? or do you need to first "uninstall everything"?

PI organizes things nicely, but at the end of the day it still installs mods sequentially, mod component after mod component, with dozens or even hundreds of components. Removing a component from the middle of the stack requires Weidu to uninstall all the later components, and then reinstall them. Which it is designed to do! But, it is asking for trouble. I would not advise it.