tobex afterlife+oBGT's "full Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal Music "(that patches BGMain.exe)

Posted (edited)

hi.

i would like to install this option from the oBGT mod

mod option: full Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal Music (WARNING: patches BGMain.exe) (4. from https://spellholdstudios.github.io/readmes/bgt/[english]bgtreadme.htm)

but i also want to use tobex afterlife, in this case would they conflict as they both edit bgmain.exe? how does that work----do they each edit seperate things in .exe and the final version is one that combines both changes. or could there be overlapping codes and the final .exe would be messed up?

Edited by jacklhoward

WeiDU handles patching of the game executable just like every other game resource that is patched by a mod. The bgmain.exe is a big file (over 7 MB). It's very unlikely that both mods patch the same byte sequence in the file. It should be fine to install both mods. But you should consult the readmes of the mods just in case.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, argent77 said:

WeiDU handles patching of the game executable just like every other game resource that is patched by a mod. The bgmain.exe is a big file (over 7 MB). It's very unlikely that both mods patch the same byte sequence in the file. It should be fine to install both mods. But you should consult the readmes of the mods just in case.

Now, I know you know the technicalities quite well... but I think you are kinda misleading here, cause the ToBEx should do most of the patching it does via .dll insertion, which makes it almost always better at patching a .exe than any other .exe patching. Well, yes, it needs to patch the .exe to take instructions from the other file, but that's so much besides the point... And to my knowledge, the BGT-weidu just patches the xp start value and some other aspectes of the file... I honestly have no idea. But it HAS always worked with the traditional ToBEx.. because you know, Ascension64 did both mods originally.

EDIT: ouh, yes, it was to make the game be able to take 99+ songs in the songlists playable.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Now, I know you know the technicalities quite well... but I think you are kinda misleading here, cause the ToBEx should do most of the patching it does via .dll insertion, which makes it almost always better at patching a .exe than any other .exe patching. Well, yes, it needs to patch the .exe to take instructions from the other file, but that's so much besides the point... And to my knowledge, the BGT-weidu just patches the xp start value and some other aspectes of the file... I honestly have no idea. But it HAS always worked with the traditional ToBEx.. because you know, Ascension64 did both mods originally.

EDIT: ouh, yes, it was to make the game be able to take 99+ songs in the songlists playable.

ty both.

I know that option from BGT weidu should be compatible with tobex 26 or 28 if have understood correctly. but it is the "afterlife" patch i am not sure about.

i tried to ask on afterlife's release thread on shs but there has been no reply, the author of afterlife's last activity there was from a year ago. 

i went through the readme of oBG trilogy-weidu, and tobex afterlife, but there is no direct mention of intercompatibilities of trilogy-weidu and afterlife. and i am afraid i really have no clue about the technical details of all the changes made to .exe... 

afterlife does edit a dozen and more sound-related things:

is there a way to be sure that those and all the rest of the edits done by afterlife would not be incompatible with trilogy-weidu's music option (and other things)? i can put up an issue on github but i am not sure i'd get a response. are there people who are very familiar with trilogy-weidu and afterlife that i can consult with?

Edited by jacklhoward

And if there's problem, post at the SHSfroum about it... it will get a reply. Or at least people would come and then have a recount of what you did and they could see if they can reproduce what ever problems come. Also, as it has been YEARS, there's likely no incompatibility problems... or someone would have mentioned SOMETHING.

25 minutes ago, lynx said:

Just test them.

sorry, I am afraid I really dont know to setup a method to test things out.

I am not familiar with the code which decides how the music plays in stories. i can perhaps check map by map what music is playing, in and out of combat etc.. but it would be long, tedious and the results might not be conclusive. and i've not played a full walkthrough of bg2 story so i do not know how it would work past chapter 3-4 and in throne of bal.

and some of the sound-related edits by afterlife, like 

"

are too technical and i do not actually know how it would behave. i can only vaguely understand what it does.

i am basically only trying to play bg1 part in bgt with proper bg 1 msuic, and bg2 part with bg2 music, and with tobex afterlife. if investigating their compatibilities would take too long or too much trouble, i'd welcome any alternative method that makes me able to play like so. 

if there are users say that they have played through bgt with that music hack option and tobex afterlife without any problem, then it's good enough for me, i'll just install them both in good faith that they should not fail.

but if everything is uncertain,

i am considering installing "Full Baldur’s Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast music: Activates all original Baldur’s Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast music..." from trilogy-weidu mod while going through bg1 part, and uninstall it when it is done and i am moving on to bg2 part so i can get proper bg 2 music. however the problem is that people say it might not be wise to uninstall and reinstall components of mod with bg2 engine like this. someone suggested in that case i should "uninstall everything " through project infinity and reinstall through it again, or just not bother with it. then in that case i have to settle for the music hack option, or have hybrid bg 1 and bg2 music in bg1 story...

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

And if there's problem, post at the SHSfroum about it... it will get a reply. Or at least people would come and then have a recount of what you did and they could see if they can reproduce what ever problems come. Also, as it has been YEARS, there's likely no incompatibility problems... or someone would have mentioned SOMETHING.

yeah, ty. i will try to ask around there.

(cannot post a new thread for some reason, but already posted in the release thread)

Edited by jacklhoward

If you don't know what you want, how would you even know if it's broken or working? If you don't notice anything, any state is fine.