Close One

cirerrek

Just expressing my happiness at not having to replace any computer components.

Turned my monitor on this evening and I've got a No Signal, Cable Okay Message.

Checked the cable anyway. Hosed out my box with some compressed air. Checked a bunch of connections and re-seated my videocard.

Reseating the videocard did the trick.

Its hard for me to fathom how something that is screwed into place can come unseated, but apparently it did. Still had me worried and annoyed there for a bit.

But alls well that ends well :)

No TCs here, thankfully :)

I've got my drives set up in a software RAID array, mirroring and stripping. So in theory, if I lose one then the data will remain intact on the other. Of course, I'd prefer not to have to test it out.

Its hard for me to fathom how something that is screwed into place can come unseated, but apparently it did.  Still had me worried and annoyed there for a bit.

I find that heating and cooling of the card/slot can do that, if conditions are right the card will shift just enough in the slot to stop working.

Good to hear no hard-drive phuttage though. :)

Its hard for me to fathom how something that is screwed into place can come unseated, but apparently it did.  Still had me worried and annoyed there for a bit.

I find that heating and cooling of the card/slot can do that, if conditions are right the card will shift just enough in the slot to stop working.

Good to hear no hard-drive phuttage though. :)

Yeah, I guess all the expansion and contraction could eventually cause things to move just enough...

We had a bunch of family over to celebrate my daughter's 1st birthday this weekend. Out of all of them, my wife and I are the most tech savvy. Since my computer is in the living room, everyone wants to use it. My fear is/was always that someone had managed to download a virus or hijacker or something similarly nasty.

Seems like the only time I have major problems with my computer is just after someone else has used it. But, I've growled at most of the family users enough that they are a wee more careful than they would be otherwise.

Cirerrek

Archived