Definitely going to try this out...

...once I get some other commitments done.

I never had much use for Kivan in a vanilla BG1. You couldn't heal him (magic resistance always seemed to make healing spells fizzle), and his grumpy soundset was a bit off-putting.

But now that I have NPC Project installed, and I'm playing BG1 the way I wish it was in the first place, I'm actually enjoying getting to know Kivan and wishing there was something I could do to help him.

Like I said. I've got a couple commitments to wrap up. But eventually, I would like to try BG2 with Kivan. I'd like to help him restore his lost wife.

Somewhere, I read that this is an evil deed. As I like to run paladins, this might be a problem. What exactly is evil about restoring the true love of your friend? Apart from calling her away from Elvish paradise?

Guest Storm

Well you are removing a person from paradise isn't that selfish then?

Anyway I believe you can only restore and raise a person if one is willing. So I would just assume if it works she wants to come back.

Apart from calling her away from Elvish paradise?

That's the big one. Kivan is commiting a sancrosact and endangeres Deheriana. While the discussion on the matter is not (hopefully) too long, I think it will give a player some grounds to make his or her own choice (same with Tazok).

Whatever your paladin decides, s/he must go with what s/he thinks is right. Whatever descision you make here it would definetly not be followed by a Reputation drop/forced fall from grace or some sort of divine punishment.

Well, that's a relief.

Like I said, it's going to be a while before I play this one out, but I wouldn't want to start out knowing that I'm going to have to chose between restoring my friend's wife and remaining a paladin.

Of course, after I've played it, I might not want to have her called back, but that's a subject for play time.

Like I said, it's going to be a while before I play this one out, but I wouldn't want to start out knowing that I'm going to have to chose between restoring my friend's wife and remaining a paladin.

Oh, it's not going anywhere. :) I'm sort of into trying to set up a moral puzzle with a few unknowns and a couple-three valid outcomes. Sometimes it's an overkill, I guess, but well, Kivan lends himself pretty easily to those games of dappled shadows. Heh, I guess, I just like characters with some duality/internal conflict; I can't even write a half-orc barbarian without it. Apparently. Have fun with the game. ;)

...once I get some other commitments done.

I never had much use for Kivan in a vanilla BG1. You couldn't heal him (magic resistance always seemed to make healing spells fizzle), and his grumpy soundset was a bit off-putting.

Um, Kivan doesn't have magic resistance in the vanilla game. :)

He does not, but his soundset is gruff in places. :) Belerinde might be using one of kits for him in TUTU version, though it beats me which ranger kit has MR. I always have him as an Archer and do not remeber MR being on the tab.

No, I meant Kivan. But on reflection, perhaps it was an item? What would do that, I wonder? Also, that was based on an old install of BG, which may have had some corruptions. It's always possible Kivan's elvish sleep and charm resistances were triggered.

I blush in shame, but my original copy of BG was copied from a friend, by a friend, and I have no idea what he did to his game. Lots of stuff did not work that should have worked.

In retrospect, maybe I should have tried healing him last game. I just finished the NPC Project with Kivan (and Ajantis) in the party. From past experience, I thought he would be resistant to healing spells, so I never cast any in his direction.

Archived