The Dark Crystal

jester

I just watched one of my favourite fantasy films ever. Since it is now 22 years old I think I should recommend it to anyone who wants to witness the astounding ingenuity of Jim Henson's creations and his limitless creativity even before the dawn of Silicon Graphics. I was truly amazed then as I am now and the setting and story are wonderful. I always imagined druids to be like the mystics in the film. :) ::rant:

Ah yes the special edition DVD is coming out soon. I do adore this movie too although it is one year older than me. Jim Henson RIP. :rant: Brian Henson may be a good puppeteer but he just doesn't have his father's creative genius...I mean Kermit the Swamp Years!!! What was he thinking??!!

I liked Labyrinth, too. It was one of the fire survivors, but we haven't played it yet to see if it still works. I think the characters are what did it for me in this movie. And David Bowie is positively wicked. :rant:

The Dark Crystal is one of the best fantasy adventure films I've ever seen. I love Brian Froud's design work (at least I'm pretty sure that's his name...) and I'm drooling at the thought of a special edition DVD!

Labyrinth was an excellent movie too, great stuff. Great villains in those stories, not comic "Muhahahaha, I'm so evil" types. Just "I want this and I'm willing to do you in for it". Far better, IMHO.

The Hoggle/DB conversation in the Labyrinth is priceless.

He keeps calling him Schmoggle and stuff. :rant: Also the scene where all the goblins crowd behind the mirror and are waiting for her to say the magic words in the right order and frown at her failure to get it right at first.

The Dark Crystal is one of the best fantasy adventure films I've ever seen. I love Brian Froud's design work (at least I'm pretty sure that's his name...) and I'm drooling at the thought of a special edition DVD!

Yep Brian Froud did the concept work for the DK and Labyrinth (the baby Toby is actually played by his son Toby Froud)...I have a copy of the famous Fairies book Froud did together with Alan Lee (of LOTRs fame) and you can see how he developed his goblin characters. There are also some odd creatures that look very like the Uluru (mystics).

Archived