VERY strange error

I don't even know how to search for an error like this using the search feature.

I've installed Tales of the Sword Coast, Original Saga. Then I installed Baldur's Gate II + ToB.

Then I installed the following in this order:

1) Official patches

2) BG2 Fixpack

3) Tweak Pack installed in BG2 directory

4) Tutu mod for BG1/BG2 (run BG1 with BG2's engine)

5) Tweak Pack for installed in Tutu directory

Now when I run the game, it gets all crazy. When I try to type in my PC name, the number "777777777777" starts racing across my name and then when I go ingame, the screen continues to scroll up to the upper left hand corner.

It's not my keyboard, I've already checked that. It happens whether or not the keyboard is plugged in and nothing else causes this.

Do you have a multimedia keyboard (with fancy extra buttons) or a wireless mouse? Bioware has identified that some of this hardware interferes with game play by sending extra keypresses:

http://www.bioware.com/games/shadows_amn/s...tml?faqID=40#04

http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?t...37&forum=10

Try disabling the software and trying again.

edit: In particular, let me quote from Kevin Lynch of Bio in that linked thread:

Here's an extra list of stuff to try if you have uncontrollable scrolling in your game (may be related to wireless keyboard/mice but may be something else as well):

* A simple reboot of your system

* stuck key on keyboard - bang on key to get it unstuck

* bad keyboard - unplug keyboard while play BG2

* USB/wireless keyboard that BG doesn't like - unplug USB keyboard

* USB hub sending wierd signals - unplug hub

* SysTray keyboard software - disable while playing BG2

* some other app interfering - shutdown all other software

* DirectX upgrade

Thanks.

I've uninstalled all of the games (sigh) so I'll try and reinstall them again.

I just have a normal, average cheap keyboard. Not wireless. My mouse has a wire too, it was just a $10 or something keyboard with a mouse.

Is my order correct?

Do I really need to install the Tweak pack twice? Once before Tutu and once after Tutu into the Tutu directory?

Know anywhere I can check the load order?

Do you have a multimedia keyboard (with fancy extra buttons) or a wireless mouse? Bioware has identified that some of this hardware interferes with game play by sending extra keypresses:

http://www.bioware.com/games/shadows_amn/s...tml?faqID=40#04

http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?t...37&forum=10

Try disabling the software and trying again.

edit: In particular, let me quote from Kevin Lynch of Bio in that linked thread:

Here's an extra list of stuff to try if you have uncontrollable scrolling in your game (may be related to wireless keyboard/mice but may be something else as well):

* A simple reboot of your system

* stuck key on keyboard - bang on key to get it unstuck

* bad keyboard - unplug keyboard while play BG2

* USB/wireless keyboard that BG doesn't like - unplug USB keyboard

* USB hub sending wierd signals - unplug hub

* SysTray keyboard software - disable while playing BG2

* some other app interfering - shutdown all other software

* DirectX upgrade

Oh, I should have noticed that bit originally. No: install Tweaks only once, at the very end of the process.

I'd also suggest using EasyTutu instead of the conventional Tutu. Amongst many other things, it already includes any fixes relevant to the game and doesn't require Fixpack or Baldurdash.

I'm still a little confused where these mods are going and which directories.

I have three directories to install these into:

Baldurs Gate\

Baldurs Gate 2 + ToB\

TutuBaldursGate\

The mods I have are:

--------------------------

EasyTutu

BG2TweakPack

BG2FixPack

Ascension (ToB expansion?)

Redemption (Ascension expansion)

Oversight

EasyTutu Degreenifier

EasyTutu Randomized Encounters

---------------------------

Are there any here that are unneeded? The ones that I do need, what directory do I install them in and in what order?

Thanks for all the help!

1. Install BG1 or BG1/TOTSC; it will create and install into X:\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate
  2. Patch BG1 or BG1/TOSC unless you have the "The Original Saga" version, which needs no patch.
  3. Install Baldurdash for BG1 and Game Text Update for BG1 onto X:\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate (your BG1 installation).
  4. Install BG2 - Shadows of Amn; it will create and install into X:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA
  5. Install BG2 - Throne of Bhaal; it will install into/on top of X:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA
  6. Patch Throne of Bhaal, but *do not* do anything else to your BG2 install yet.
  7. Run EasyTutu_TOB. It will create the directory x:\Black Isle\BaldursGateTutu. Follow the instructions carefully - it will unpack to a temporary directory, ask for your BG1 directory and your BG2 directory, and then create the new directory using elements of both original games.
  8. Install the EasyTutu_TOB Hotfixes from Macready's site in x:\Black Isle\BaldursGateTutu.
  9. If you want some of the "extra" components (absolutely all critical Tutufix stuff is already part of EasyTutu) add that mod into x:\Black Isle\BaldursGateTutu.
  10. Install the EasyTutu Degreenifyer into x:\Black Isle\BaldursGateTutu.
  11. Install the EasyTutu Randomized Encounters (also known as "Spawns" :mad:) into x:\Black Isle\BaldursGateTutu.

*now* if you are going to also play a modded version of BG2,

• run BG2 FixPack on your BG2 install in X:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA
  • install your BG2 mods on X:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA (I am not sure if Ascension or Oversight should go first... definitely check the forums for that install order, unless someone comments below!)

You should end up with a clean, patched BG1/TOTSC for BG1 modding and playing if you want in \Baldurs Gate, a modded install of EasyTutu in \BaldursGateTutu, and a modded install in \BGII - SoA

hope that helps ;)

Archived