Armor problems

Guest Amgot

I have BG2 Fixpack beta 4 and a few others mod installed and I just noticed Jaheira can wear plate mail and full plate mail armors. Isn't there something wrong here? The description for the armors specifically says that they cannot be worn by druids...

Other problem: When Anomen wears a plate mail armor +1, he cannot wear a cloak of protection (AC +1 and Saving throws +1) at the same time (but he can if he only wears a simple plate mail). I don't remember having any problem with this last time I played. I know that you can't wear two protection items lowering your AC at the same time but I thought armor was not included in this...

Last thing: I had installed a few mods beginning with BG2 Fixpack beta 3 and then some NPC mod, Banter Packs, Flirt Packs, ... and BG2 Tweaks Packs. When BG2 Fixpack beta 4 came out, I installed it on top of this and went on with my current game. Because of the aforementioned problem with Anomen (can't wear armor +1 and cloak of protection at the same time), I checked if I had specified the right option (PnP Restrictions) in BG2 Tweaks Pack's "Wear multiple protection item". But when I run the the Tweaks Pack Weidu installer from BG2 directory, I have the option to install all the tweaks and fixes. What I don't understand is that I already installed some of them when I first installed the tweaks packs. But it looks like not a single tweak is installed (ie no "no change option", only "install", "non-install" or "quit"). Does the BG2 Fixpack beta 4 install on top of everything didn't reinstall the tweaks pack?

Ok I just did some more experiment and here is my conclusion: the problem stems from wearing two +1 clothes at the same time.

Situation 1: Anomen has a full plate mail armor. He can wear a cloak of protection +1 (AC +1 and SavThr +1) or a cloak of sewers (AC +1)

Situation 2: Anomen has a full plate mail armor +1. He CAN'T wear a cloak of protection +1 (AC +1 and SavThr +1) but he can still wear a cloak of sewer (AC +1).

Is this normal? Because if it, it means that cloaks of protection are useless as soon as you have a good armor...

Jaheira can wear plate mail because she's fighter/druid, not single class druid.

Enchanted armor and enchanted rings/cloaks/amulets of protection don't stack at all in unmodded game. Cloak of sewers isn't considered one of such "protection" items by the game, so you can wear it with your +1 armor.

If you install "P&P style protection items" from BG2-Tweaks, you have the option to "change" your protection item (cloak of protection +1 for example), so that you can wear it with enchanted armor. But in this case you lose AC bonus from that item, and only sav.throw bonus remains (same rules as in P&P D&D3).

It is a bit odd, though, that fighter/druids don't have the armor restrictions of single class druids, but they do have weapon restrictions of druids.

Perhaps there is scope for an Optional But Cool component to alleviate this inconsistency.

pro5:

Thanks very much for your answers.

One more question: how do you "change" your protection item. I remember that Anomen wore a +1 protection ring which appeared in the "use-power-from-item command bar" (along with the ability to cast "protection from normal missiles" thanks to his shield). I was intrigued, so I clicked on it. The result was that the ring lost its +1 AC power (the only power it had anyway). Additionaly, the description of the ring (when you right click on it) had disappeared. The ring was now worthless, so I threw it away. Is that the effect of change? In this case I was stupid to "change" an item which only provided AC bonus because it became worthless!

NiGHTMARE:

Yes, that's why I thought something was wrong! I got confused between weapon and armor restrictions. But as you said, this would make a cool Optional But Cool component...

It is a bit odd, though, that fighter/druids don't have the armor restrictions of single class druids, but they do have weapon restrictions of druids.

Perhaps there is scope for an Optional But Cool component to alleviate this inconsistency.

I believe Divine Remix fixes this inconsistency, and warns players in the ReadMe .

One more question: how do you "change" your protection item. I remember that Anomen wore a +1 protection ring which appeared in the "use-power-from-item command bar" (along with the ability to cast "protection from normal missiles" thanks to his shield). I was intrigued, so I clicked on it. The result was that the ring lost its +1 AC power (the only power it had anyway). Additionaly, the description of the ring (when you right click on it) had disappeared. The ring was now worthless, so I threw it away. Is that the effect of change? In this case I was stupid to "change" an item which only provided AC bonus because it became worthless!

I only played with this tweak once, but I remember descriptions should change accordingly (so only the line mentioning AC bonus disappears). This "item-swapping" ability can be used as many times as you wish, so as need arises you can switch between original something of Protection +1 (+1 AC/sav.throws) to something of Protection +1 (+1 sav.throws), and vice versa.

Seems like description disappearing in your case may be a bug. Did you get this after installing Fixpack over bg2-tweaks?

I only played with this tweak once, but I remember descriptions should change accordingly (so only the line mentioning AC bonus disappears). This "item-swapping" ability can be used as many times as you wish, so as need arises you can switch between original something of Protection +1 (+1 AC/sav.throws) to something of Protection +1 (+1 sav.throws), and vice versa.

Seems like description disappearing in your case may be a bug. Did you get this after installing Fixpack over bg2-tweaks?

Yep. But how do you use the "item-swapping" ability? Do you have to right-click on the item?

Archived