stupid question

pro5

Ok, I'm sure the answer is obvious and easy but still:

Why are there duplicate blocks for each familiar type in BALDUR25.BCS?

Like this:

IF
 Global("fampsd","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("fampsd","GLOBAL",0)
MoveGlobalObject("fampsd",Player1)
END

// ....

IF
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
MoveGlobalObject("fampsd25",Player1)
END

As I understand it, the top block is always executed first, the global is set back to 0, and the improved tob version of familiar will never get summoned. Or am I missing something?.. :)

Since removing those first SoA scripts doesn't seem to have any negative effect (you can summon familiars, put them in/out your pack) I conclude they are unnecesary and judging by the lack of interest it's probably common knowledge. :)

I'll have to play with it some more...

It worked with one familiar type, but the other one didn't appear after "releasing" it from inventory.

When do wizards generally get their familiars "upgraded" to ToB versions? I used to think it was right at the start of the expansion.

After some research, it seems both Soa and ToB familiars have common scripting/death variable. In above case, it's "fampsd". Releasing either of them from inventory does this:

SetGlobal("fampsd","GLOBAL",1)

and they're then brought to Player1's location using this:

MoveGlobalObject("fampsd",Player1)

Which version (SoA or ToB) appears depends entirely on which one was last summoned with Call Familiar.

But in this case, I fail to understand what are these "25" blocks for:

IF
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
MoveGlobalObject("fampsd25",Player1)
END

It can't summon either version of familiar, because they both have script name "fampsd" (not "fampsd25"). Any ideas? :)

Unless I'm misremembering, nothing actually does SetGlobal("famfer","GLOBAL",1) and these are just an aborted attempt to make sure you can't leave familiars behind accidently - which you can, sadly :)

Take a look at familiar "items", they all have ability effect with "SetGlobal" opcode, target self. Without it, there's no way to release familiar from inventory - it won't appear.

Archived