Forcing a "dialogue" to trigger

Garfield

Is there anyway to force a dialogue to trigger. I want to have my NPC say somethin when he sees the greater Yuan ti at the De'Arnise keep, but the problem is that the greater Yuan-Ti does not have any dialogue file.

Also, I am quite lost with all the DialogSomething commands :) Can someone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to have the following script in your NPC's override:

IF

AreaCheck(ARXXXX) //The actual Area file number has to be looked up in NI

See("yuanti_dv") //The actual death variable for a yuan-ti will have to be looked up or assigned via TP2 if there is not any.

Global("P#SpokeYuanTi","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("P#SpokeYuanTi","GLOBAL",1)

StratDialogueNoSet(Player1)

END

And in D-file a block for your char's J file starting with:

IF ~Global("P#SpokeYuanTi","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN

SAY ~Something about Yuan-Ti.~

IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("P#SpokeYuanTi","GLOBAL",2)~ EXIT

END

Cheerfully. I've got all the info on my home computer and will be there in 1.5 hours.

You're going to want to find the CRE ref and DV for the Greater Yuan-Ti. Part of your tp2 will assign this creature a dialog file. I've got the relevant code as part of Gavin's tp2, because I had to copy a commoner to override, assign it a new DV and give it a new script and dialog file, so this info will be ok for your needs, with a little stuff you don't need in case you find it helpful.

Was there a specific Greater Yuan-Ti, or was there only one? Keep in mind that if there was more than one, you might want to make your own, give it your own variables, and assign it whatever dialog file you like. That way Hagen won't be talking to every Greater Yuan-Ti he sees.

I'll just get the tp2 stuff. Domi just said the same thing I did, but she typed faster.

Yeah, even Enemy() marked creatures can partake in a dialoguie, but it would be better if you change his status to Neutral if Hagen is in the party, and switch him back to Enemy() after the dialogue. You can do it via areal script (please see IESDP for the Action).

Navigating the IESDP is confusing for the first 3 or 4 hundred times you need to look something up. You should go look this up, and more, but I'm guessing that if you put this in AR1300.bcs, you should be all right, assuming YU#GYT is the DV you assign to the Greater Yuan-Ti in the Courtyard fighting Arat.

IF
 InParty("YU#HAG")
 !Dead("YU#HAG")
 Global("YU#Area1300","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
ChangeEnemyAlly("YU#GYT",NEUTRAL)
SetGlobal("YU#Area1300","GLOBAL",1)
END

Thanks for the replies.

Indeed, the IEDSP is kinda confusing at the beginning... I actually have to look at the whole page when I want to find one single action or trigger :)

EDIT: it works! Just had to append berelinde's bit of script to the script of the creature, because the creature itself is spawned through a script, so appending it to the area script did not work (took me the whole day to figure it out :hm: )

Archived