Staff of the Magi questions

Kulyok

I am sorry in advance if it's been addressed already. I've done some search and read the documentation, though, and it seems it has not.

- Staff of the Magi is a +5 weapon, and it definitely hits Demiliches, like a +5 weapon should. However, it seems that as soon as the wielder's invisibility is lifted, it becomes a +1 weapon by bonus(only +1 to THAC0 is shown on character screen). It seems that the other +4 is added by invisibility - which happens with all weapons as it is. So perhaps an extra +4 to THAC0 is needed, so that it adds +5 to THAC0 all the time, not only when the player is invisible?

- Staff of the Magi is a quarterstaff. So why can't the mage/thief backstab with it, then? If it cannot be added as a fix, can it be addressed in BG2 Tweaks?

Combat Ability (each hit): Dispel Magic

THAC0: +1 bonus (strikes as a +5 weapon)

Damage: 1D6 +1

The description is pretty specific here.

Can't backstab because a thief can't use it (mage_thief yes, but thief no, and that's what allows backstab). While I can't answer for CamDawg, I'm sure it would take him all of five minutes to add this to Tweaks :rant:

Since Nythrun already hit the bug section...

- Staff of the Magi is a quarterstaff. So why can't the mage/thief backstab with it, then? If it cannot be added as a fix, can it be addressed in BG2 Tweaks?

Drawback is that you'll also allow single-class thieves to use it.

The "if multiclass thieves can equip it, so can singleclass thieves" tweak

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.itm$~  ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) THEN BEGIN
READ_LONG  0x1e "un"
PATCH_IF (("un" & 0xb0200) != 0x00) THEN BEGIN
  WRITE_LONG 0x1e ("un" & (` 0x4b0200))
END
 END
BUT_ONLY

After a thousand lines of this kind o' junk yesterday, I've actually memorized the bits in the itm file. Such a nerd. :rant:

Archived