small ai script question

Guest wrdaniel

I've done very little cre AI scripting; the one time I started to convert my party AI scripts to enemy AI, I realised that if I succeeded I'd make the game near-unplayable because the enemy would probably be a lot smarter than the player.
And that's a bad thing? It wouldn't be a difficult thing, in many cases. :)
That said, I'm quite willing to look at any AI scripting problems you may have.
Well, since you're offering... would you mind taking a gander over my script here and make sure I haven't bolloxed anything up too badly? This is for a mage/thief I'm trying to make act like one. In other words, he tries to maintain his distance while casting spells at the party. Once those are exhausted, he'll try to enter simulated stealth mode and backstab. The AttackReevaluate() at the end I guess I could make a normal Attack(), if it makes a difference at that point.
And that's a bad thing? It wouldn't be a difficult thing, in many cases. :)

:D It would get very frustrating at the beginning of the game. It is possible to make the AI scalable by protagonist level so that enemies become gradually tougher as you level up (and I do mean gradual, not a sudden jump in AI because the player has now reached level X) but the scripts could get rather large....

Well, since you're offering... would you mind taking a gander over my script

{Has a look and adds some possibly useless comments}.

-Y-

ALE is useful to me for the reason cirerrek points out. I started adding it to my simple scripts when I got frustrated that my characters would stop following my movement orders as soon as they saw an enemy. This isn't a big issue for melee fighters, but it ruins placement of ranged characters; they might get a bead on one enemy, but because they didn't finish moving to where I initially told them to go, they'll not see the other five enemies and potential spellcaster further around the corner.

I always use Attack, as it seems to provide the smoothest results during combat sessions, and as noted above, you can easily interrupt it by having earlier script blocks evaluate TRUE.

Archived