Modding help

Guest muffin-tacos

Guest muffin-tacos

Hi everybody :D I'm trying to make a mod NPC, and as I had expected it's going crapply. Everything was going great till I got to the cre (damn you CRE!!! lol). I've been asking around on various sites and this person pointed me to this site, so fingers crossed that I'll get help!

I've been using a magnifisent guide called A beginner's guide to making a NPC if you're a NOOB -- which I most certainly am!

So here's what I don't get.

** 3) Now open NearInfinity. Go to the tab on the side labeled CHR (Except mine is called 'Charecters' for some reason but CHR and Charecters is the same thing so hopefully that's not the problem) and click on John. Now go to FILE and click "CONVERT CHR to CRE". It should save as JOHN.CRE

Done that. Here comes the problem:

** 4) Now go to GAME, then OPEN FILE. Then click BROWSE. Find JOHN.CRE and open it in a new window.

Done exactly what it says but when I open my charecter nothing appears, the page is just blank, which makes it very hard to find these things here:

** 5) Okay, now we have our CRE file open. You will need to do a few things. First, scroll down to where it says FLAGS. Click on FLAGS and at the bottom there should be a bunch of options, one of which says EXPORTS ALLOWED and it is checked. Uncheck it.

*cough* :)

Anyone willing to help me? (I'm desperate here! Nobody's been able to help me on this so far... ;))

preciate it and thanks a lot people that has tried to help me so far!

** The stuff that is in a different colour is from the guide that I'm using by the way - except for this ;)

Okay, in the top left corner of your CRE file, do you see 4 little tabs?

They are View, Stats, Edit and Items/Spells

Click Edit one. It should bring up a tabulated list of all your cre propreities, and you'll be able to edit.

Okay, try to look at the bottom bar of your screen and see all the files you have opened. Smetimes, when Infinity open the file it could still show you the main window, not the one you've opened. You are seeing the left side menue bar woth the file types, right?

Okay, here is the screenshot with CRE file open in NI. Can you describe the differences between what you're seeing here and on your machine or post a screenie?

thanks for the picture! but sadly it doesn't look like that when I open my file, or at least when I try to open it :)

Okay, try to look at the bottom bar of your screen and see all the files you have opened. Smetimes, when Infinity open the file it could still show you the main window, not the one you've opened. You are seeing the left side menue bar woth the file types, right?

What do you mean? Do you mean in NI at the bottom on the left, where it says something like C:\Program\Black Isle\BGII-Shadows of Amn\data\Creature.bif (that's what it's saying on mine right now - i've tried opening my cre person)

Can you view any cre file in NI?

no i can't, strangely enough! What do you think that means? Is there something wrong with my NI? - which wouldn't serprise me at all if that was the problem.

Okay, here is the screenshot with CRE file open in NI. Can you describe the differences between what you're seeing here and on your machine or post a screenie?

thanks for the picture! but sadly it doesn't look like that when I open my file, or at least when I try to open it :)

edit: it looks more like the picture BEHIND the one in the front with all the stats and stuff. well, actually I don't know if it looks like that because I can't see the one behind it, but i'm pretty sure it does cos the bits that i can see look like it.

(and another thing, can somebody tell me how you edit your posts on this site?)

I mean the bar under your open NI window that usually shows all opened files in Window. There you will see

a NearInfinity tag and then, probably a john.cre tag.

Try clicking on the John.cre tag to bring it up in the window.

If you don't see the CRE file as opened, let's try to go step by step again:

In the blank window when NI is opened, you see on the let the list of file type. On the right it's a blank square.

Go up and left into the Game tab

Chose the first option "Open File"

The "Open File" dialogue window will appear.

Choose "Browse" button and browse to where your CRE fileis stored, just like you would browse MyComputer. It will most likely be in your main BG2 directory.

Pres Open, then on the bottom of the dialogue window: Open in the New Window.

The file then will either appear before you, or you will see lighted tab of an open file in your windows browsing bar on the bttom of the screen.

CHR to CRE export should be broken in the latest beta versions of NI. Unfortunately, it's a non-trivial fix.

Always keep a copy of the last full version in case you actually need to edit files instead of just looking at them. :)

Archived