I think I've found a bug..!

muffin-tacos

Hi boys and gals! :)

I'm experiencing a bit of scary stuff in my game at the moment with Auren. First of all her name is now "Nobody special, I asume.." or something like that (which was kind of funny at first, but now I find it quite agitating). When she talks to me as I enter CC, her dialauge is all messed up it says something like "nobody special i asume, Child of Baahl. I am no more than a shade...." and then the sentence just stops in the middle of everything. And the text is usually white in conversations like this, right? Well this text isn't - it's black :)

And something that's even more scarier:

You know that you can choose different things to say to people that talk to you? Well one of Auren's lines are: "Forget it Sarevok! There's no way I'm barganing with you!" ...or something along those lines. It's really weird :) ! And when I click on something, no new message pops up, Auren just says the same "nobody special blablabla" line that she did at first.

I don't understand what's wrong here. Is this a bug? Can anybody help me fix it? Playing with Auren in my game worked fine before... :(

Help me, I'm lost here :):(

What happened is that your strings got scrambled. It isn't at all unusual if you have uninstalled/reinstalled anything recently.

If Auren has a string fixer (and I think she does), you can try using it. Sometimes, it's a PID dialogue choice, other times, it's a hotkey.

Try that first, and hopefully, it will do the trick.

If it doesn't work, you did back up your installation, right? No matter. I'll give instructions as if you didn't:

1 -- Print out your WeiDU.log. You'll find it in your game directory. It's got a funny extension, but you can open it and print it using any text editor, like Notepad.

2 -- Delete your override folder and your WeiDU.log.

3 -- Uninstall the game using the uninstaller you can access from the pulldown menu you get from clicking the appropriate program tab on your start menu, or by using the add/remove programs feature of control panel.

4 -- Reinstall the game.

5 -- Apply the patch.

6 -- Grab that print-out of your WeiDU.log and install your mods in the order listed on the printout. That should enable you to use old saved games.

And the text is usually white in conversations like this, right? Well this text isn't - it's black

If you mean that the text window after Auren's scrambled name (ie Nobody special, I asume.." ) is "empty", that means you have been installing a mod or mods with your game running.

I think what happened was that you had your game running, and installed a new mod or reinstalled something, and then loaded a saved game. I would just start with shuttoing down the game, uninstalling every mod, deleting WeiDU.log and then checking if the game returned to a normal state. If it did, simply install all the mods, and make sure that the game is not running while you do that. If it didn't, then yep, do a full reinstall, as Berelinde suggested.

If Auren has a string fixer (and I think she does), you can try using it. Sometimes, it's a PID dialogue choice, other times, it's a hotkey.

PID dialogue? what's that? And how do I know if it's a hot key (and which) that's causing the problem?

Thanks for the instructions by the way! I think I resently re-installed my game, do you think I should re-install my mods too? How do I uninstall mods :) ?

If you mean that the text window after Auren's scrambled name (ie Nobody special, I asume.." ) is "empty", that means you have been installing a mod or mods with your game running.

I think what happened was that you had your game running, and installed a new mod or reinstalled something, and then loaded a saved game. I would just start with shuttoing down the game, uninstalling every mod, deleting WeiDU.log and then checking if the game returned to a normal state. If it did, simply install all the mods, and make sure that the game is not running while you do that. If it didn't, then yep, do a full reinstall, as Berelinde suggested.

My game wasn't running as I installed any mods. I'm 99% sure of that -- i think.

The thing you are describing is pretty much unique to running WeiDU while the game is running, as WeiDU can't append strings to dialogue.tlk (since it is in use by the game).

To uninstall the mods click on the exe installer and select the "U" when it asks what you wish to do with the mod, that corresponds to "Uninstall".

OK, so now I'm not 99% sure that my game wansn't running when I installed some mods.

What I'm going to do is try to re-install all my mods and hopefully it'll work! Fingers crossed!

Do you think that I could just try to update my WeiDu instead of this other print it out harky parky (it all seemed kind of complicated to me, to be honest)?

I'll do what you told me to do if I have to, but i'd rather like to work my way round it really (I'm so lazy :)). I'll try my way and if that doesn't work (it better) then I'll try your way :) .

Wish me luck :)

To uninstall the mods click on the exe installer and select the "U" when it asks what you wish to do with the mod, that corresponds to "Uninstall".

I'm having trouble uninstalling mods. I can't find any "U"s in their files. Do you mean that there is a file in their file called "U" or do you press on the U key on my keypad? Well I tried both and either way it doesn't work... Will it work if I just delete my mods? Am I supposed to do anything with the set-ups (cos I sure got a lot of them in my directory).

Uninstalling mods was a lot harder than I thought it would be :)

In some weird way a mod that I managed to uninstall (all by myself, might I ad *looks proud*) uninstalled all my other mods as well (!!) which was all good so I deleted them and accidentaly deleted something that my game really needed, so that I couldn't run it. But I fixed that by reinstalling my game. I have now installed all my necessary mods and the game is running perfectly - for now anyway. :)

Archived