If using Fixpack version 3

Optional But Cool: Paws from Shapeshifting Can Not Be Dispelled

causes crashes with certain creatures (notably the golems in De'Arnise Keep).

We apologize, but the best fix for this at the moment is to uninstall this component of the Fixpack.

You do not need to uninstall any other components, and your saved games will be unharmed.

If installing v3 of the Fixpack on a Shadows of Amn only game:

You will need to either follow the instructions in this thread or, alternately, ask a moderator for a corrected version of the file in question.

There's an error in the Beta Core Fixes component

Which can be rectified either by uninstalling Beta Core Fixes or following the instructions in this thread.

Again, apologies for any inconvenience.

A replacement version of the Fixpack Version 3 with these errors corrected is available in the .rar file below: you may simply overwrite the setup-bg2fixpack.tp2 in the bg2fixpack folder, and the macro_fx_batch_prep.tp2 in the bg2fixpack/lib folder and reinstall (or install, if you were unable to do so in the first place :) )

So, my ability to add attachments has randomly regenerated itself. Thus, if you don't feel like fussing with manual changes, a replacement version of the fixpack .tp2 is available from the link in the first post.

I'm also going to delete the intervening posts: my apologies to erebusant, cmorgan, and our guest, but only Cam has topic-splitting privileges.

I thought I'd give Classic adventures a try while waiting for the latest versions of the BP family mods to be released, so tried the new .tp2 & .tph on the install. I came up with the following error while installing the Beta Core Fixes component:

[./override/sppr210.spl] loaded, 11474 bytes
ERROR: illegal 1-byte write () offset 11861 of 11474-byte file sppr210.spl
ERROR: [sppr210.spl] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("sppr210.spl: write out of bounds"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)], rolling back to previous state
[bg2fixpack/backup/3/UNSETSTR.3] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall 430 files for [BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] component 3.

I thought I'd give Classic adventures a try while waiting for the latest versions of the BP family mods to be released, so tried the new .tp2 & .tph on the install. I came up with the following error while installing the Beta Core Fixes component:

[./override/sppr210.spl] loaded, 11474 bytes
ERROR: illegal 1-byte write () offset 11861 of 11474-byte file sppr210.spl
ERROR: [sppr210.spl] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("sppr210.spl: write out of bounds"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)], rolling back to previous state
[bg2fixpack/backup/3/UNSETSTR.3] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall 430 files for [BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] component 3.

It looks like it was this particular line of code:

WRITE_BYTE ("%fx_off%" + 0x03 + (0x30 * ("%index%" + "%abil_fx_idx%"))) "%level%"

In the "spells have wrong power level" portion of "Beta Core fixes". I changed the 0x30 to 0x28 as per the offset in the previous .tp2, leaving the remainder of the changed code the same and no longer choked on installation.

Guest gilby
If the code is doing what the component title suggests, making that change is bad. Very bad.

Where is Cam? Why are there still people who can't even install the stupid thing?

I have no experience modding, and it's been 10 years since my programming and assembly courses, but as I want to start playing BG2 and want to use the fixpack, I've been looking at the code in question as well as the iesdp information on the SPL format.

0x28 refers to the size of the extended header or headers--40 bytes each. The 0x30 refers to the size of the feature block or blocks--48 bytes each.

That change...from 0x30 to 0x28 is going to cause the feature blocks to be changed at different places--yeah, that would be quite bad.

So...it looks like the problem is using the variable %index% in the nested IF statement:

WRITE_BYTE ("%fx_off%" + 0x03 + (0x30 * ("%index%" + "%abil_fx_idx%"))) "%level%"

That's wrong. That IF statement will write to the same place each time it's called. Neither %index% nor %abil_fx_idx% are changing during the IF statement. Which suggests, to me, that changing the %index% to %index2% would fix the problem.

That means that line 27172 should read:

WRITE_BYTE ("%fx_off%" + 0x03 + (0x30 * ("%index2%" + "%abil_fx_idx%"))) "%level%"

That look about right?

There's another error, yes. Updated.

Changes made to:

Fixpack.tp2

2208: Escaped brackets and period

27172: Offset

27209: Offset

28337: Deprecated

28557: Logical Operator

macro_fx_batch_prep.tph

24: Read out of bounds

38: Read out of bounds

Guest Shammy

Another map that this "slowing-to-freezing" bug occurred is in Domain of the Dragon, 2nd level. It happens at least in the 1st room with Orc Archers, in the left room down the passage where 2 Orcs beg for mercy, and also in the Golem cave. Those are the 3 locations I tested. Uninstalling the component "Optional But Cool: Paws from Shapeshifting Can Not Be Dispelled" solved it.

My system specs:

PIII 650 MHz, 512 MB RAM, EVGA GeForce FX 5200 video card

Chinese (Traditional, not Simplified) Windows 98 Second Edition

BG2 Ultimate Collection (SOA+TOB)

Please don't take the following the wrong way, as the dedicated efforts from G3 is very well appreciated, but perhaps this component can be removed from the Fixpack? This problem is not documented on the Readme page, and for a mod illiterate like me, it took me 3 nights uninstalling and re-installing component by component just to identify the root cause. Again, this is not a complaint, but a humble suggestion. Thanks for all the great work!

Unexpected circumstances have left us unable to promptly fix the issue and release a new version of the fixpack, but we are aware of the problem and hope to have it resolved soon. Many apologies for the inconvenience (be assured that we're not any happier about the current situation than you must be after having to waste time doing the ridiculous uninstall shuffle to get rid of the responsible component).

Archived