Critical hit special effects

Demivrgvs

Is there a way to make it so that a special effect happen on a critical hit?

If i set probability 1 to 5% and Probability 2 to 0% or probability 1 to 100% and Probability 2 to 95% would it work in coincidence with the critical hit?

And to expand on that... no.

:) What you could do though is simulate an elemental critical where the weapon does an extra point of damage and gives a visual 5% of the time (or whatever). Not quite the same, but it may suffice.

:) What you could do though is simulate an elemental critical where the weapon does an extra point of damage and gives a visual 5% of the time (or whatever). Not quite the same, but it may suffice.

That still wouldn't take into account the weapon styles that give critical hits on rolls of 19 as well as 20. However, without a way to trigger based on a critical, I don't see how you could determine this.

It wouldn't be tied to the critical - as stated, that's not possible. It would simulate an "elemental burst" crit-like effect, in addition to the regular critical which would function independently.

In fact, in theory (?) you could use opcode #301 to effectively disable critical hits for the weapon in question while adding this "critical-like effect" to use visuals and anything else you wanted.

It wouldn't be tied to the critical - as stated, that's not possible. It would simulate an "elemental burst" crit-like effect, in addition to the regular critical which would function independently.

In fact, in theory (?) you could use opcode #301 to effectively disable critical hits for the weapon in question while adding this "critical-like effect" to use visuals and anything else you wanted.

By doing that, you'd still have to choose between setting it to trigger 5% or 10% of the time, with no way of knowing (that I'm aware of) which of the two is the proper setting, as that would depend on a character's proficiencies and current weapon set-up.

I'm thinking the best option would be the first one you described - choosing a set % of the time for the special ability to activate - while keeping in mind that it would be separate from any crits, and not necessarily share the same likelihood to occur as they would.

By doing that, you'd still have to choose between setting it to trigger 5% or 10% of the time
Eh... no you wouldn't. Or if you did, then yes - you'd simply choose your percentage chance. Weapons critically hit on a roll of 20 (5%) unless they're heavy ballistae, catapults or the like... then they can crit on a 19 or even 18 (but no one short of an ogre is gonna carry around a ballista). Proficiencies don't affect criticals AFAIK.
I'm thinking the best option would be the first one you described
I think I've only described one option - though in addition to that you could disable normal critical hits (in theory, by setting opcode 301 to 21 or higher). There'd be little point in doing that on its own, though it might make sense for things like blackjacks where the point isn't to inflict damage (but to render unconscious in this case).
By doing that, you'd still have to choose between setting it to trigger 5% or 10% of the time
Eh... no you wouldn't. Or if you did, then yes - you'd simply choose your percentage chance. Weapons critically hit on a roll of 20 (5%) unless they're heavy ballistae, catapults or the like... then they can crit on a 19 or even 18 (but no one short of an ogre is gonna carry around a ballista). Proficiencies don't affect criticals AFAIK.
I'm referring to the abilities gained when putting enough proficiency points into Single Weapon or Two Handed Weapon style. When using the style, you get criticals on rolls of 19 or 20 with any weapon. I assume we are talking about BG2?
I'm thinking the best option would be the first one you described
I think I've only described one option - though in addition to that you could disable normal critical hits (in theory, by setting opcode 301 to 21 or higher).
All right, then I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to not include the second part of your one option. :) Even if the opcode worked perfectly for simulating multiple things happening on a critical, having to choose between it happening 5% or 10% of the time would override the actual chance a character has for getting a critical, using the weapon styles. You'd either be nerfing characters that had the weapon styles or buffing everyone else to the same amount without requiring they use the styles.
I'm referring to the abilities gained when putting enough proficiency points into Single Weapon or Two Handed Weapon style. When using the style, you get criticals on rolls of 19 or 20 with any weapon.
I guess I never noticed this poorly-documented feature (it does say so in the fine print if you read it though :)). It's an option for the original poster anyway, to use an alternate effect. We're talking about putting an effect on a particular weapon - it's not like a blanket effect that would cover all weapons. If it raised the effective "critical" percentage for folks who don't have the proper proficiencies, well, there are worse weapons out there.
It's an option for the original poster anyway, to use an alternate effect. We're talking about putting an effect on a particular weapon - it's not like a blanket effect that would cover all weapons. If it raised the effective "critical" percentage for folks who don't have the proper proficiencies, well, there are worse weapons out there.
That's for sure. I just wanted to make sure Demi was aware of this, as it's the kind of detail that would completely slip my mind if I was ever modifying something related to it.

I guess I never noticed this poorly-documented feature (it does say so in the fine print if you read it though :)).
Off topic, I found the descriptions for the weapon proficiencies to be even more confusing than the ones for the styles. I was never sure what I was really getting when I put more than 2 points in stuff, and the change to grandmastery and various fixes for that just muddled it up more for me.

Actually two points in single weapon style or two handed weapon style doubles the range of the critical hit rolls. I've tested it and i can confirm that if you have the HLA that increase by one your critical hit (so 19-20) and then you use one the above mentioned style you get critical hits on a 17-18-19-20.

And too bad it can't be made special effects triggering in conjunction with critical hit...i've done some keen weapons and i would have done a Flametongue with the flame burst ability...

I thought of something in regards to this: Doesn't the Axe of the Unyeilding (or one of the ToB axes) and the Silver Sword have an effect where the kill on a roll of 20? Might these items have a special effect hidden somewhere in their code?

I thought of something in regards to this: Doesn't the Axe of the Unyeilding (or one of the ToB axes) and the Silver Sword have an effect where the kill on a roll of 20? Might these items have a special effect hidden somewhere in their code?

Their effects are both percentage based - 10% for Axe of Unyielding, and 25% for Silver Sword.

Actually two points in single weapon style or two handed weapon style doubles the range of the critical hit rolls. I've tested it and i can confirm that if you have the HLA that increase by one your critical hit (so 19-20) and then you use one the above mentioned style you get critical hits on a 17-18-19-20.

Which HLA is this? I don't play much ToB and the only ones I can think of are Critical Strike and its upgrade, Smite, which make all attacks in the next round critical hits.

Also, I checked out opcode 301 tonight and it seems to work differently than described in the IESDP. If you're interested, I posted my findings here.

Maybe only Refinements add that HLA i don't remember...but from the first time i've tried it Refinements has alway been part of my installations...it's simply a must. Haven't you tried it?

I have not, but I just checked out the readme and the HLA changes alone make it look like something I should try out sometime. By the way, apparently opcode 301 does work as described in the IESDP, but my other observations should still be valid.

Archived