Can I create these weapons?

ericp07

Hello,

There are three weapons I'd like to give my mod NPC, shae`lina Hawkwind: a bow, a scimitar, and a battleaxe, to reflect her PnP counterpart. I'd like to know if it's possible to create them and, if so, where I need to look for guidance.

The bow is a composite longbow, with a minimum STR requirement of 18 (as it's a +4 bow). I have a description for it, and would like to give it the special abilities of speed (would this be a Haste effect?) and distance (is it possible to give it greater range?). If I can't adjust distance, I'll settle for speed :)

The scimitar should be +6, but if that's not possible, I'll settle for +5. This weapon should have a better chance to hit a certain type of foe (which I need to define as "followers of Malar" and will figure out how to do so later, in further detailing this mod), as well as doing extra damage against said foe.

The battleaxe should also be +6, but again, I can settle for +5. This weapon should have double the chance of scoring a critical hit of a normal battleaxe, if it's possible to designate that.

I'm hoping to be able to use normal versions of each of these weapons as a sort of template, from which I can create the custom items. Will I need to package these as their own mod, or simply create each as a new .ITM file to add to the override folder, or will I be able to include them in shae`lina's own mod package? (I'm guessing they'll go in the ITM folder).

Please advise, and gently nudge this newbie in the right direction ;)

Thanks,

Eric

Hello,

There are three weapons I'd like to give my mod NPC, shae`lina Hawkwind: a bow, a scimitar, and a battleaxe, to reflect her PnP counterpart. I'd like to know if it's possible to create them and, if so, where I need to look for guidance.

You should definitely check out the IESDP.

The bow is a composite longbow, with a minimum STR requirement of 18 (as it's a +4 bow). I have a description for it, and would like to give it the special abilities of speed (would this be a Haste effect?) and distance (is it possible to give it greater range?). If I can't adjust distance, I'll settle for speed :)

Strength requirements can be done, but if this is designed only to be used by one character, it probably won't be too important. By speed, I assume you mean an extra attack per round or two, and/or movement speed increases? Those can both be done. Increasing the range should also be possible.

The scimitar should be +6, but if that's not possible, I'll settle for +5. This weapon should have a better chance to hit a certain type of foe (which I need to define as "followers of Malar" and will figure out how to do so later, in further detailing this mod), as well as doing extra damage against said foe.

Any enchantment level is possible, but most people won't like godlike weapons that are easily obtainable. I'm not too sure about implementing the bonuses versus 'followers of Malar' - you'd probably need to mess around with IDS files. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can point you in the right direction.

The battleaxe should also be +6, but again, I can settle for +5. This weapon should have double the chance of scoring a critical hit of a normal battleaxe, if it's possible to designate that.

You can adjust that. However, I don't think you can detect whether someone will be using the single weapon proficiency, so you can only guess at what 'double' actually is.

I'm hoping to be able to use normal versions of each of these weapons as a sort of template, from which I can create the custom items. Will I need to package these as their own mod, or simply create each as a new .ITM file to add to the override folder, or will I be able to include them in shae`lina's own mod package? (I'm guessing they'll go in the ITM folder).

Starting from existing weapons is definitely easiest. These should be installed with your NPC. Think of your .tp2 as your entire mod - everything that can be included (optional or not) should come packaged together. You can have your items in an itm subfolder if you like, but that's just a matter of how you like to organize your files.

Good luck.

Yes, just find existing items, duplicate them, and make whatever changes you like.

You can't adjust distance (beyond visual range). If by speed you mean attacks per round, just modify the effect already on all bows (to set ApR to 2) to however many attacks you want (if not, you could add a haste effect, yes).

+6 and greater enchantments work fine. IIRC, the only time you'll see any effect is when attacking creatures immune to weapons of a certain enchantment level. Nobody is immune to +6, and it's really, really high for a 2E game, but oh well.

I believe there's an effect that allows you to change the critical threat range, but you need ToB to use it.

Once the items are created, you can use them in any mod. It's best to install them at the same time as the characters who'll be using them. Note that in a TP2 file, you can modify anything you want; although you can group a single TP2 into multiple components, you don't have to, and there's no limit to what you can do (you could patch every single resource in the game if you desired). There's no need to package related changes separately (this is the use of components so people can pick and choose which parts of a mod they wish to install); you should keep everything related all together in a single mod (which only needs one TP2 file).

Hello,

You should definitely check out the IESDP.

Strength requirements can be done, but if this is designed only to be used by one character, it probably won't be too important. By speed, I assume you mean an extra attack per round or two, and/or movement speed increases? Those can both be done. Increasing the range should also be possible.

Any enchantment level is possible, but most people won't like godlike weapons that are easily obtainable. I'm not too sure about implementing the bonuses versus 'followers of Malar' - you'd probably need to mess around with IDS files. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can point you in the right direction.

I see two possibilities here: make the bonuses apply to all evil clerics, druids, and rangers, or create a "priest of Malar" kit, and apply the bonuses against the kit.

As for the weapon bonus itself, I keep having to remind myself of the disparity in power levels between 2nd and 3rd edition D&D. +5 is sufficient for all.

You can adjust that. However, I don't think you can detect whether someone will be using the single weapon proficiency, so you can only guess at what 'double' actually is.

That will require some thought and study, perhaps. It's the only special ability this weapon has, and I consider it essential.

Starting from existing weapons is definitely easiest. These should be installed with your NPC. Think of your .tp2 as your entire mod - everything that can be included (optional or not) should come packaged together. You can have your items in an itm subfolder if you like, but that's just a matter of how you like to organize your files.

Good luck.

OK, the .tp2 shall be the "master file," then. And yes, I like to keep things organized by grouping files into folders.

Thanks!

Eric

Yes, just find existing items, duplicate them, and make whatever changes you like.

My tools are NearInfinity and TextWrangler. I hope these will be sufficient to the task.

You can't adjust distance (beyond visual range). If by speed you mean attacks per round, just modify the effect already on all bows (to set ApR to 2) to however many attacks you want (if not, you could add a haste effect, yes).

I'll forget about distance, then. Yes, I meant attacks per round. I'm thinking to double normal attacks per round here.

+6 and greater enchantments work fine. IIRC, the only time you'll see any effect is when attacking creatures immune to weapons of a certain enchantment level. Nobody is immune to +6, and it's really, really high for a 2E game, but oh well.

I'm good with staying at +5. I realize that's mighty high, anyway :)

I believe there's an effect that allows you to change the critical threat range, but you need ToB to use it.

These mods will be intended for ToB.

Once the items are created, you can use them in any mod. It's best to install them at the same time as the characters who'll be using them. Note that in a TP2 file, you can modify anything you want; although you can group a single TP2 into multiple components, you don't have to, and there's no limit to what you can do (you could patch every single resource in the game if you desired). There's no need to package related changes separately (this is the use of components so people can pick and choose which parts of a mod they wish to install); you should keep everything related all together in a single mod (which only needs one TP2 file).

Ultimately, I hope to integrate everything--NPC, creatures, kits (one for shae`lina, one for priests of Malar), and items--into a single mod. My only purpose in packaging things piecemeal is to text each component before combining all.

These weapons, btw, can be used by anyone who isn't prohibited from using the base items.

Thanks again,

Eric

I've taken the first step in creating the weapons, changing some of the details and saving them with prefixed names. In NearInfinity, I don't see how to change the identified descriptions. I do know how to give the items the names I want in the .tp2, but there must be a way to change the fields in the .ITM files themselves. I'll take another stab at it with NI...

I changed what I think are the correct values for the weapon bonuses, and deleted effects that the items don't need. In the case of the bow, I changed two attacks per round to four. In the case of the battleaxe, I gave it an instant when equipped Critical Strike ability, but I'm not sure if that will accurately reflect what I want for it or not (increased chance of a critical hit). If it's close enough, I'll keep it.

Each weapon's effects need to be permanent/continuous, and not tied to the wielder. No visible effect is needed. I suppose making the scimitar a "bane" weapon will be the most difficult part. In 3rd edition rules, it gains an extra +2 to hit a certain type of foe, and does an extra 2d6 damage to that foe. Otherwise, it's just a battleaxe with a +5 to hit and to damage.

Once I have these items completed, I'll set up shae`lina's .tp2 to copy the items to override, and to equip them for her use.

As always, further insights and clues are most welcome!

Thanks,

Eric

I've taken the first step in creating the weapons, changing some of the details and saving them with prefixed names. In NearInfinity, I don't see how to change the identified descriptions. I do know how to give the items the names I want in the .tp2, but there must be a way to change the fields in the .ITM files themselves. I'll take another stab at it with NI...
You can't create new strings with NI (at least to my knowledge), you can edit the current description or you can assign to the item a different reference changing Stringref: ### and then clicking update value.
In the case of the bow, I changed two attacks per round to four. In the case of the battleaxe, I gave it an instant when equipped Critical Strike ability, but I'm not sure if that will accurately reflect what I want for it or not (increased chance of a critical hit). If it's close enough, I'll keep it.
Four attacks per round?! ;) Anyway instead of Critical Strike (which should remain an HLA) you can just add a Die Roll Number (301) effect where the roll number value set how is increased the chance to score a critical (1 is +5% chance, 5 is +25% chance, and so on).
Each weapon's effects need to be permanent/continuous, and not tied to the wielder.
What do you mean? ;)
I suppose making the scimitar a "bane" weapon will be the most difficult part. In 3rd edition rules, it gains an extra +2 to hit a certain type of foe, and does an extra 2d6 damage to that foe.
This is only partially doable. You have to create two .EFF files, one for the +2 to attack rolls and one for the additional damage. After that add two "Use EFF File (177)"effects to the item, and set the resource values to the .EFF files you've created. A long story short...the entire process is not flawless. The weapon will have the appropriate bonuses against the specified creature but will not get the enchantment bonus (if needed to bypass immunities to magical weapons of X enchantment level), if you want to add +2d6 damage instead of a fixed one (e.g. +7) the process is slightly different (the damage effect has to be put in the melee header) and the additional damage in-game will display separately from the main one (only an aesthetic glitch, but i hate it :) ).

Yes, I want to edit the item descriptions, not create new fields, using NI, but I don't see how to do this...

I could give the bow just one extra attack per round. That might be more reasonable, while still special :)

I should have said that these items' special abilities/effects should be always active while the item is equipped, meaning held in hand and ready to use.

As for adding effects, I think I follow what's stated above, so I'll try that. I don't care if the additional damage is listed separately from the weapon's main damage.

Thanks,

Eric

Because these weapons are so powerful, I'm now thinking they should be gained as quest rewards, during play, instead of being part of shae`lina's starting gear. I'll likely outfit her at the outset with nothing more than +2 items, whether or not they have additional special qualities. Priority will be on scimitar and battleaxe, as she seldom uses a bow, preferring to be a two-weapon front-liner in battle.

Another alternative would be to scale her gear, and her starting class level, relative to the protagonist, but I'm not sure if that's possible or not.

Just some further thought as I continue to develop shae`lina Hawkwind.

- E

And now it appears that I won't be able to create any custom items at all, unless there's a way to edit descriptions other than using NearInfinity. NI does not allow me to enter any text to change item descriptions, only to change from one already-written description to another. Do I have to do something in my mod's .tp2 for this, or am I out of luck here?

Thanks,

Eric

It goes in teh TP2.

COPY ~my_uber_l33t_mod\my_uber_l33t.itm~ ~override~

SAY NAME1 ~My uber l33t item~

SAY NAME2 ~My uber l33t item~

SAY DESC ~This item is totally l33t.

STATISTICS:

THACO: +28

Damage: +63

Special: 42 extra attacks per round

Not Usable By:

Sane people~

(except you obviously switch in your own stuff instead)

Check the items already in the game and try to make your description as similar as possible, you may want to check out some other mods that add items too.

You can nane items and fill in the description in the tp2, using WeiDU.

You would put this in your tp2

COPY ~epmod/itm/epgodaxe.itm~ ~override~

SAY NAME1 ~Sh..... my NPC's Axe~

SAY NAME2 ~Sh..... my NPC's Axe~

SAY DESC ~Axe

Axes cut things, like trees and kneecaps.~

SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC ~This is the axe of Sh......, and let me tell you, at +6, it's a hell of an axe.

etc

etc

etc

Useable by: anybody who can pick it up~

Because these weapons are so powerful, I'm now thinking they should be gained as quest rewards, during play, instead of being part of shae`lina's starting gear. I'll likely outfit her at the outset with nothing more than +2 items,...

It depends on when you can pick her up. If she's sitting in the next cage at Chateau Irenicus and you start her out with even a toothbrush, she's way better equipped than the PC. If you put her somewhere in Athkatla, +2 is OK, but only just, and you're exceeding Bioware. If you have her handcuffed to Firkraag, well, +3 seems reasonable. Don't forget, people like getting the flail of ages because it's a *big deal* to have a +3 weapon. Because they're rare. Also, if you start a new game in Throne of Bhaal, you get a bag of holding full of +2/+3 weapons of various types. This should give you some idea of the relative power of +2, if it's considered credible to have won SoA with nothing better.

It goes in teh TP2.

COPY ~my_uber_l33t_mod\my_uber_l33t.itm~ ~override~

SAY NAME1 ~My uber l33t item~

SAY NAME2 ~My uber l33t item~

SAY DESC ~This item is totally l33t.

STATISTICS:

THACO: +28

Damage: +63

Special: 42 extra attacks per round

Not Usable By:

Sane people~

(except you obviously switch in your own stuff instead)

Check the items already in the game and try to make your description as similar as possible, you may want to check out some other mods that add items too.

Excellent and understood. Thanks!

Heh, I am l33t. Ppl send me warez :)

- E

Archived