Modded NPCs Leave party on join?

Bryll

If the title confused you...well, welcome to my world. I came back to BG2 after a few months and started a new save file, got partway through Irenicus' little dungeon, and met up with my mod-in-progress NPC. She joined up, all was well - then seconds later I'm looking at the leave party dialogue. This puzzled me some, but I recall a few quirks with her in the past, so I chalked it up to some arcane coding error that would need to be looked over later.

Further along, I ran into Chloe - and the same issue. This puzzled me further, as it was no longer my own work having issues. Later on, Auron did the same thing, and I decided to investigate further into this matter.

Firstly, the only new mod on my list is Auron Aseph, and removing her changed nothing, so that possibility is out. Bioware NPCs do not experience this difficulty, they work just fine. Now, after the leave party dialog pops up, I should note that the NPC is still in the party, whichever option you choose. If I then boot them from the party, they leave without the leave party dialog being shown.

If I talk to one of these NPCs after they leave the party, well...I've had varying results. In the case of mine, (Hardly one to base anything off of, as I'm still learning here), I could talk to her to bring up the join party dialog, and she rejoins just fine - and seconds later, up pops the leave dialog. So I kicked her again, and after that she won't talk to me (has nothing to say to you). Auron has nothing to say to me if I kick her once, but whether this is related to the issue with the leave/join code that I seem to be experiencing or she is simply coded that way, I am uncertain.

My WeiDU log is here

Any thoughts?

-Bryll

~SETUP-VIRTUE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Virtue

~SETUP-MIZUKI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Mizuki Haruka

~AURENASEPH/SETUP-AURENASEPH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Auren Aseph V6.1 for BG2:ToB

~AURENASEPH/SETUP-AURENASEPH.TP2~ #0 #1 // Alternate Auren Portrait -> Portrait 1 (From Neverwinter Nights Vault)

Installing these mods after Virtue broke your game. Virtue should always be installed dead last.

Remedy: Run Setup-Virtue.exe and choose uninstall. After the installation is complete, close the window, and run Setup-Virtue.exe again, to install it.

Firstly, thanks for the response. I had completely forgotten the warnings about virtue being installed anywhere but last. However, in this case, it doesn't appear to be the problem - I fixed the install order, but my game is still misbehaving. Tomorrow I suppose I'll start removing mods, one at a time until I find the offender. Any other thoughts in the meantime?

-Bryll

Also, it's a rare NPC mod developer who _doesn't_ report this bug for their own NPC in the making: many of us encounter this problem. Please, make sure you've appended your parting dialogue correctly, there're no typos anywhere, etc.

It's a bug in Virtue (caused by the need to add code for each NPC somewhere or somewhere else, which Sim couldn't do when he wrote Virtue). I posted code to fix this two years ago, but never got into the official download. See: what's happening over at the BGT forum.

[And yes, I believe A64 would piss me off to no end if I don't fix a bug in WeiDU and instead work only on new features].

Well, removing virtue appears to have fixed the problem.

@Kulyok - everything seems to be in order with my code, no typos and its nothing complex, so I'm pretty sure its safe to say that i'm not the one at fault here - at least from what I've been taught. Also, it wasn't just my own content, but Chloe, Auron Aseph, and Saerileth as well. From what I've been reading it seems to be a common bug in virtue?

@the bigg - so does everyone encounter this bug with virtue? And I'm curious why Kelsey didn't get hit by it, I'll have to look into his code sometime to see what's different there.

Well, removing virtue appears to have fixed the problem.

@Kulyok - everything seems to be in order with my code, no typos and its nothing complex, so I'm pretty sure its safe to say that i'm not the one at fault here - at least from what I've been taught. Also, it wasn't just my own content, but Chloe, Auron Aseph, and Saerileth as well. From what I've been reading it seems to be a common bug in virtue?

@the bigg - so does everyone encounter this bug with virtue? And I'm curious why Kelsey didn't get hit by it, I'll have to look into his code sometime to see what's different there.

At the risk of breaking my game (again, heh), I'll test this by installing my own NPC-in-development mod on top of everything else, and see if I encounter the same unwanted behavior. I have all the mod NPCs you mentioned, as well as Virtue, but I haven't tested my mod since well before installing Virtue. As it stands now, my game is as stable and functional as it can apparently get. The only consistent failure I have is if I create a new character, and try to give it a class that's kittable. Immediate CTD 100% of the time there, with no possible fix while keeping all the mods I have (and I'm not willing to sacrifice any of the mods I have installed).

I'll post the results of this test ASAP.

- E

Archived