Manual Second Install of BG2 from CDs?

Wounded_Lion

I would like to install a second copy of BG2 on my computer.

My existing installation is lightly modded. I would like to create an unmodded copy of the game for reference/testing purposes. The Multi-Install Tool does not work for me (besides that, I don't have a clean installation to clone).

Can I manually install to a custom directory from the CDs?

I've manually installed Fallout and Fallout 2 from the CD in the past. It is a simple matter of knowing what to copy and how to manually create the necessary part of the configuration (ini) file. Can this type of thing be done with BG2?

Note: I have the collection containing BGII-SOA, BG2 Bonus Disc, and BGII-TOB. I'd also like to install the official patch to the new directory.

aWL

EDIT: note

Can I manually install to a custom directory from the CDs?
Not that I know of.

Fortunately, making a secondary copy of BG2 (and maybe BG1) is truly very simple: just copy game folder to a new folder, and viola.

But in your case, you'll have to do it a little differently.

First, take your existing game folder and just copy it to somewhere else.

Next, uninstall EVERYTHING - mods and main game - from the ORIGINAL folder. (In truth, there's a quicker way than this, but let's keep things simple.)

Next, delete EVERYTHING in the original folder: files and folders.

Next, install BG2/ToB and patch into the original folder. Do either a Full install, or a Custom with all options checked.

Viola, you now have an unmodded, fresh copy of the game.

If you want, take this unmodded folder and save it somewhere, even on disc.

The great thing about this is, you can play your modded game from the copied folder, and even play an unmodded game from the orginal folder.

There are plenty of threads that discuss this setup, so if you need more info, let us know.

So I copy:

C:\Programs\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\

to:

C:\Programs\Black Isle\AltBG2\

Then I run the uninstall program (and if necessary manually delete any files remaining in the "BGII - SoA" folder).

Correct?

Are you sure that I won't need to update any configuration files (or anything else) in the copied folder (C:\Programs\Black Isle\AltBG2\) to point to the new directory?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Also, would it be possible to simply rename the folder instead of copying it? Of course, Windows would retain a listing for the program, which might cause problems (not sure... ).

aWL

Update:

One problem solved: According to a how-to post by Cam, I need to edit the "HD0=" entry of the [Alias] section of the baldur.ini file to reflect the new directory.

My question becomes: If I use the method suggested by Azazello but rename the folder instead of copying it, will the uninstall program remove the program listing from Windows (so that I can reinstall the game to its default directory to function as my "clean" copy)? Or will the uninstall terminate without removing the registry entries and whatnot because it cannot locate the game files to remove?

aWL

Or will the uninstall terminate without removing the registry entries and whatnot because it cannot locate the game files to remove?
Probably. Of course, you could change this by hacking the registry if you wanted. Most of the relevant entries seem to be around \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BG2Main.Exe etc.
...would it be possible to simply rename the folder instead of copying it? Of course, Windows would retain a listing for the program, which might cause problems (not sure... ).
Renaming defeats the entire purpose of having a separate, clean, unmodded game folder. What part of (copy) was unclear?

According to a how-to post by Cam, I need to edit the "HD0=" entry of the [Alias] section of the baldur.ini file to reflect the new directory.
I'm glad you found that. My last statement was a subtle nudge for you to do a search. Looks like it worked!

In fact, the only config change needed in the copied folder is the baldur.ini change, telling the game where to find disc 1, 2, 3, etc.

Or will the uninstall terminate without removing the registry entries and whatnot because it cannot locate the game files to remove?
Probably. Of course, you could change this by hacking the registry if you wanted. Most of the relevant entries seem to be around \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BG2Main.Exe etc.
No-no, no hacking required. Windows knows almost nothing about the copied folder. That's what makes the process so simple: uninstalling will only affect the 'original' folder where files were installed from your discs.

Once you make an original folder, install the game files, patches etc., then you can copy that folder as many times as you like, and make different mod installations in each, etc. Great for testing, or playing multiple versions of the game.

I have my virgin game folder on C:, and 3 modded folders on another drive.

Guest Guest
Renaming defeats the entire purpose of having a separate, clean, unmodded game folder. What part of (copy) was unclear?

Not trying to be an ass towards one trying to help me, but... NO, it wouldn't.

Think about it like this:

If I copy the folder (to AltBG2), uninstall the original (from BGII-SoA), and reinstall the game (to BGII-SoA), what do I end up with?

Modded Folder AltBG2 + Unmodded Folder BGII-SoA

If I rename the folder (to AltBG2), use regedit to remove the program from Windows, and reinstall the game (to BGII-SoA), what do I end up with?

Modded Folder AltBG2 + Unmodded Folder BGII-SoA

You see? Cuts out that massive copy operation.

Anyway, thanks to all for the assistance and advice. Problem solved.

aWL

Wouldn't reinstalling (or doing a second install) take even longer than copying though? Copying from HD to HD should be quicker than copying from CD/DVD to HD.

A HD to HD copy would likely be quicker, but I don't have another hard drive to work with on the system in question. I play BG2 on an older Win2000 machine with a single-hard drive. It doesn't have a DVD drive, either. :thumbsup:

Whether I use Azazello's original method or the alternative (rename instead of copy), I still have to reinstall.

I'm considering trying to run the game on my labtop (which is a much newer machine than the old desktop). Then, I could use the 6-CDs-to-1-DVD-image trick that I read about a while ago (if I can find that thread again).

aWL

EDIT: spelling

I first played BG on a Win2K with one 4G drive, then got another 4G drive a year later.

Depending on your drive's size, you could partition it, which is nice 'cause you can segment 'Games' drive from 'Everyday' drive.

See, we're no longer talking 'simple'.

Not trying to be an ass towards one trying to help me, but... NO, it wouldn't.

We're all asses here, that's why we luv each other so much. Just call me Jack.

We know what you want to do, but there's no simple way to short-circuit the process. You can long-curcuit it by hacking but then that's your choice.

Having the baseline, unmodded install gives you a lot of benefits for future play, like never having to install the baseline again (barring hardware failure), playing multiple modded games, etc. Painfully, maybe, but best to get it done at some point.

Copy-now, reinstall later. Reinstall-now, copy-later. It's your choice.

Archived