Shield Slot Question

ronin69hof

Is there anyway to put something in the shield slot so that nothing else can be put there and still allow the bonuses for single weapon style?

You could create an undroppable item assigned to the shield slot. The item could do nothing (in other words, have no effects) and use the fist icon.

If this is part of an NPC mod, the item could be placed via the CRE file. However, this might nullify the single-weapon style bonus (not sure).

If this is part of a kit mod, the item could be placed via a Lv1 applied spell in the CLAB file. However, this might nullify the single-weapon style bonus and be subject to dispel (not sure).

I'm curious: Why do you need to be able to do this?

aWL

Its for a NPC mod that I am slowly working on. His left arm was damaged as a kit and now it is almost unusable. An invisible shield with no effects nullifies the single weapon bonuses and anything else I put in the shield slot crashes the game when the are loads.

Yeah you can do this.

What you need to do is to create an invisible shield that cannot be removed or dropped and equip it.

This will disable the single hand proficiency bonuses so you will need to reapply

the -2 to AC and the critical strike on a 19 or 20 by adding these effects to the shield.

This can be done by adding effects with Near Infinity Beta

I have not tried changing the critical strike values, but there is an effect

called Increase critical hits (186) which will probably do what you want.

Adding the armor will be easy.

If you want I have an invisible main hand weapon with attached effects you can use as a model.

If you have Near Infinity Beta, you do.

Open your item file,

Click on the Add button at the very bottom of the screen and

add an effect

Select Type: Increase critical hits (186)

Target: Self

Power: not sure I suspect this is how much it lowers the dice role by so probably 1

Timing Mode: Instant/While Equipped (2)

Dispel/Resistance: No dispel/Bypass resistance

Duration: 0

Probability 1: 100

Probability 2: 0

Savetype: (No save)

Egad! We're going to have an avalanche of maimed NPCs! I asked the same question just a week ago, hehe, and got the same answer: (invisible) hand item for off hand that gives the 1-handed style bonus.

Let's hope our characters are sufficiently different in other respects :suspect:

OK, I just checked it out.

If you use DLTCEP, it's actually very straightforward. Both the AC bonus and the Critical Hit modifier are in the standard (equipped) effects list. I made a 'hand' based on the Claw of Kazgaroth, removed all the existing effects, the curse, etc., and added the bonuses we want - works like a charm.

If you want, I can send you the itm file so you can check it out in NI.

I dont have Increase critical hits (186) as an effect that I can add. I have NI version 1.33 beta 19

Thats very odd as I have it with an older version NI version 1.33 beta 18

I would double check you are looking in the right place. After you add an effect if you double click on the Type: row, it should bring up a huge list of possible effects to chose from.

If you still don't see it, you will either need to use the other method above with DLTCP , get someone with version beta 18 to add it for you, Or even better, get ahold of an item from someone who has already done the exact thing you need.

From the IESDP:

#301 (0x12d) Stat: Critical Hit Modifier [301]

Parameter #1: Statistic Modifier

Parameter #2: Irrelevant

Description:

This effect improves the Critical Hit chances.

Critical hits will occur on a roll (on a 1d20) greater or

equal to:

20 - 'Statistic Modifier'

In Near Infinity v1.33 beta 18, this opcode is known as "Die roll number".

Note that NE and the IESDP seem to disagree on the usage of the parameters; thus, you may need to experiment a bit.

aWL

Archived